+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 35 75 82 83 84 85
Results 2,101 to 2,122 of 2122

Re: 2017 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post

Im not brushing it off.
    I literally said in an earlier post that unless its a blowout, if he can't pitch the 8th, then he shouldn't be pitching at all. I'm not saying '' oh well, this is who he is and we just have to deal with it''.
    I don't want him coming into the game because he walks too many hitters and has done for most of his career. This year has been even more dramatic, as you said. So the k's can't cover it anymore.

Looking at his swing rates. Hitters are laying off him at quite the reduced rate this season....especially out of the zone. Its like what Harper said at ASG is just going around the league this season.
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    How is there less pressure? 1 run lead in the 7th is still a one run lead that can easily spiral into a bases loaded situation.

The sport has proven that guys who can control their stuff, can pretty much deal with any role out of the bullpen. Betances can't control his stuff regardless of role...he will always be a high walks guy.
    Because there is less pressure with lowered expectations. And generally speaking you have lower expectations of the reliever who comes in in the 7th than the reliever who comes in in the 8th or 9th.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Yes, that's true - but the problem is that I don't think much of Farrell either.
    went back. saw you post but didn't comment. Dave Dombrowski doesn't either (me too). His contract was ONE year with a club option. I do feel Joe will be back (I can use a change) but my biggest fear is that Joe goes to BoSox. I don't like anybody from BoSox wearing pinstripes unless his first name is Babe and don't know if I could handle with Joe (he is good) being their manager. I would always want to be Lucky than Good. (not one RBI and got the W)

I wouldn't fear Joe going anywhere. I like Joe and I'm one of his defenders here but I do not think that his going to the Red Sox would have much of an effect on anything. Ownership/GM has a much bigger effect on the success of a team in the long run, IMO.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by KayForPresident View Post
    I wouldn't fear Joe going anywhere. I like Joe and I'm one of his defenders here but I do not think that his going to the Red Sox would have much of an effect on anything. Ownership/GM has a much bigger effect on the success of a team in the long run, IMO.
    Art has a friend? I do miss George.

Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    Art has a friend? I do miss George.
    Whhhaaaaaaaaa?
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Also, I'm glad to see Joe seems to be settling into a semi-regular lineup. It's been fairly consistent the last few games. There is something to be said for consistency and routine.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

NYYF Cy Young

Also, I'm glad to see Joe seems to be settling into a semi-regular lineup. It's been fairly consistent the last few games. There is something to be said for consistency and routine.
    Only kidding. I would vote for Kay is he ran for president, too. Definitely. I think we have a day off tomorrow. Joe is not only playing the same players more and only switching Holliday and Headley but keeping the lineup order the same, too, even if Ells is hitting like 400. nice.
    (I don't what to start anything but IMO this was what Mike was taking about)

NYYF Legend

A smart manager would get Betances in this game. Let's see what happens.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    A smart manager would get Betances in this game. Let's see what happens.
    Should be a no brainer. Could be a litmus test.

NYYF Legend

No Betances. Missed opportunity to get a much needed piece going the right way.
    Calmer than you are

7/30/2017: The day the Minnesota Twins bought a prospect from the New York Yankees.

NYYF Legend

Was kind of surprised that Betances was not used in the ninth today.

I was calling Betances in the 9th since the 4th inning. So yeah, I was shocked too.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by b_joseph View Post
    The odds of winning any game when you give up a lead in the final 3 innings are beyond slim. Every out once you get to the bullpen is crucial at that stage. Sure, if its earlier, then other guys can help out.
    But as it pertains to his performance and his performance alone. He is under pressure regardless of situation because at this point, every outing is an examination of his current and future quality. If he can't handle the 8th, I don't see how he will suddenly be able to handle the 6th. If he is out of the circle of trust, then that is that.
    I don't think you're responding to the point I was making.

The later in the game you use Betances, the fewer legitimate options you have to put out any fires he starts, because they will have already been used. Hopefully that happens BEFORE he gives up a lead.

IF you're going to use him in close games while he works out of his funk, it'd be nice to see him in the earlier innings so he can have a caddy like Green or D-Rob. So it's not about being "able" to handle the 6th, it's allowing him to work through his issues with minimal damage to the team.

Using him late in close games but not in blowouts like today where he could get some work in...doesn't really make sense.

NYYF Legend

Probably moot as I'd be shocked if the Red Sox dumped Farrell. He's going to win a division with the 4th-best team in the league and if they lost to the Astros or Indians who could credibly pin it on him?

If Girardi goes anywhere I would suspect it would be the other Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    No Betances. Missed opportunity to get a much needed piece going the right way.
    I would have liked to have seen Betances in the 9th as well. Unless they have some knowledge that he has an injury/fatigue-related issue. Chapman's workload during his "timeout" was very light.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Because there is less pressure with lowered expectations. And generally speaking you have lower expectations of the reliever who comes in in the 7th than the reliever who comes in in the 8th or 9th.
    It doesn't matter the inning. The high leverage situation is dictated by the opposing team in relation to the batters due up. That's when you should be using your ace reliever(s). I don't think it's higher leverage to face the 6-7-8 hitter in the eighth as opposed to facing the 3-4-5 hitters in the seventh. I'd much rather have my ace reliever facing the heart of the order in the seventh rather than the bottom of the order in the eighth.

Calls a tool a tool

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    It doesn't matter the inning. The high leverage situation is dictated by the opposing team in relation to the batters due up. That's when you should be using your ace reliever(s). I don't think it's higher leverage to face the 6-7-8 hitter in the eighth as opposed to facing the 3-4-5 hitters in the seventh. I'd much rather have my ace reliever facing the heart of the order in the seventh rather than the bottom of the order in the eighth.
    Thats why I wrote "generally speaking". It means other things being equal. So someone brought in in the 6th to face the 6-7-8 hitters is usually someone you have lower expectations for than the one you bring in in the 8th to face the same hitters.

Well the Detroit job is open
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    Well the Detroit job is open
    You could see that coming ever since the brawl game when the Tigers had a fight amongst themselves in addition to the one against the Yankees. Losing managers whose teams throw down in the dugout tend to have a short shelf life (e.g. Matt Williams).

*Eagerly awaits reading the posts for tonight*

Terrible decision to leave Tanaka in.

Between all the hangers that didn't go for homers and the walks to Bautista and Morales, this was a very clear sign Tanaka had absolutely nada. Not sure why he stuck with him through that whole inning. This one isn't completely on him, but just a poor job of reading his pitcher.

NYYF Legend

Nice job by Joe tonight. Resting Bird in a game Gardy was not going to play in and then leaving Tanaka in there when he obviously did not have it to turn a 4-1 game into an 8-1 game.

Thread Information