+ Reply to Thread
Page 145 of 145 FirstFirst ... 45 95 135 142 143 144 145
Results 3,601 to 3,604 of 3604
    Make the Yankees great again!!

Re: 2017 Joe Girardi Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ElDandy View Post
    I have the exact opposite approach to be honest. I walked away from this understanding better why the Yankees (if media leaks are from people in the know) made the decision they did.

The interview has a lot of quotes that for the most part jive with some of the complaints or concerns the Yankees seemed to have in not bringing him back. Joe admits to being really intense and I can imagine that wearing on people over the course of ten years. I can imagine an overly serious guy who has this focus on winning above all else so to speak not jiving with a young clubhouse. As for the front office, maybe what Girardi saw as "healthy disagreements or discussions", Cashman saw as something entirely different. I think everyone who has been in a long relationship be it professionally or personally has had those moments where the stuff that seems completely innocuous to you can be big deals to the other person. Maybe Girardi was very analytical but not analytics based enough for the Yankees going forward, maybe they differed on what analytics hold the most value relative to building a team or whatever the case may be. Maybe what was in the binder wasn't what the Yankees were specifically hoping for him to emphasize on a game to game basis. All possibilities given what we've learned now from both parties.

I don't think Girardi's lying at all so much as he sees the same picture the Yankees saw with a different set of lenses. We've got the Yankees side through media leaks and Girardi's side from his own words and both parties sort of paint the same picture to me. I suppose that's why this separation had to happen; it sure SEEMS like the front office and the manager were not on the same page and even now see things differently.
    In any organization there are going to be different opinions and I agree with Girardi, its helathy to have internal debate. If Cashman had an issue with Joe occasdionally offering/arguing a different point of view than I'm afraid the next manager will indeed be a puppet. How about rather than hire a "baseball person" for the position they cut the ruse and just place someone from the analytics department in the dugout who takes direction from upstairs?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    How do we know he's using outdated analytics?
    Because he doesn't use state-of-the-art pitching machines!

Quote Originally Posted by just-blaze View Post
    Compare that with what Houston did to us. They fed us nothing but curveballs AFTER GAME 5 and we had no answer. Advanced new age analytics helped that.
    I'm not a big analytics guy so I don't really know if there is an obvious answer to this question but how advanced do the analytics need to be to know that a well-thrown curveball is hard to hit? And that Yankee hitters were pretty helpless against it? It was pretty obvious to me and all I needed to know that was my eyes.

What happened against Houston was that we were short on arms. Had just one of Severino's starts gone long or if Betances didn't go haywire I think we'd have won the series.

But whatever. We're splitting hairs here on Girardi at this point. And after watching Dave Roberts pull Rich Hill early in the game twice in this series while he was pitching well tells me all I need to know about why Girardi was fired - the front office/analytics team is going to be managing the games now. I don't care if it works, I think it sucks.
    /sarcasm
    KayNOTForPresident

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    In any organization there are going to be different opinions and I agree with Girardi, its helathy to have internal debate. If Cashman had an issue with Joe occasdionally offering/arguing a different point of view than I'm afraid the next manager will indeed be a puppet. How about rather than hire a "baseball person" for the position they cut the ruse and just place someone from the analytics department in the dugout who takes direction from upstairs?

Again what Girardi may have classified as healthy disagreements may have been seen entirely different by the other party in the discussion. I bet everybody on here has a different interpretation of what a healthy disagreement is. Maybe after 10 years, Girardi's interpretation of a healthy disagreement no longer met the definition that Cashman had.

Thread Information