+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 63 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast

2017 Binder Performance Thread

So badly wants that LRLRL lineup that he had to shoehorn Ellsbury into the 5th slot. You, stupid, stupid man.

Re: 2017 Binder Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post

So badly wants that LRLRL lineup that he had to shoehorn Ellsbury into the 5th slot. You, stupid, stupid man.
    So you don't recognize the brilliance of the dual line-up, with Ellsbury as bottom half lead-off, and Judge as bottom half clean-up? Girardi is a GENIUS!™
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

said this in the game thread: getting ellsbury out of the top of the lineup is a step in the right direction.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

It's only 4/3 and Binder is already resting all 25 of his guys today. Curses!

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    It's only 4/3 and Binder is already resting all 25 of his guys today. Curses!
    Those Monday-off lineups are always like this. He'll never change.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

I'm generally not one to complain about the batting order but batting Ellsbury 5th just seems like a really dumb idea.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I'm generally not one to complain about the batting order but batting Ellsbury 5th just seems like a really dumb idea.
    I'm hoping it's part of a longer term plan to eventually ease him into a bottom of the order role without turning it into as huge of a story. Putting him 5th you can spin it as breaking up the lineup. Then eventually Didi returns and Judge moves up and you spin it as them moving up rather than demoting Ellsbury. Could be more of an ego-management thing for a guy they're stuck with for a while rather than and end goal.

Wish NYYF had upvoting. This thread title alone deserves Front Page status.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Wish NYYF had upvoting. This thread title alone deserves Front Page status.
    When I saw this thread, I thought they acquired another reliever.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.”—Hitman23

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by pleasepassthesoup View Post
    I'm hoping it's part of a longer term plan to eventually ease him into a bottom of the order role without turning it into as huge of a story. Putting him 5th you can spin it as breaking up the lineup. Then eventually Didi returns and Judge moves up and you spin it as them moving up rather than demoting Ellsbury. Could be more of an ego-management thing for a guy they're stuck with for a while rather than and end goal.
    Agreed. I was thinking the same thing this morning, i.e., this is temporary and mostly about managing Ellsbury's ego.

NYYF Legend

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing this morning, i.e., this is temporary and mostly about managing Ellsbury's ego.
    Shouldn't one be good at something to earn an ego?
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Not in love with the idea of only using Mitchell for one inning last night. If the plan was to try and not use Betances, Mitchell should have pitched the 7th as well. Is that knitpicking?

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    Not in love with the idea of only using Mitchell for one inning last night. If the plan was to try and not use Betances, Mitchell should have pitched the 7th as well. Is that knitpicking?
    No, correcting "knitpicking" to "nitpicking" would be nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    No, correcting "knitpicking" to "nitpicking" would be nitpicking.
    Well done, sir

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I agree. Should have started the 7th and maybe even the 8th if he's cruising.

I get he wants to get a win under the belt, but Holder was throwing well (in spite of the two excuse me infield singles; didn't look like anyone was squaring up on him). He could have let Holder try to work out of that 1 out jam with a 5 run lead.

I know some think Betances struggled because of the move to closer late last year. I think he struggled because his arm was about to fall off. Binder needs to be more judicious about when to use Betances and Chapman, especially in the same game. We shouldn't see both of them when there's a 5-0 lead to start the 8th and 9th.

It's game 2 of 162, so nothing to get up in arms about. But last season showed us that overtaxing Betances isn't a good thing, even if it doesn't lead to a known injury.

Exactly. Betances and Chapman are super valuable. Betances was gassed last year and Chapman was ridden fairly hard in the playoffs. I'd rather have CC, Holder, Mitchell, Clippard, et al pitch those innings. Instead BOTH Betances and Chapman were in the game.

Maybe tonight is a close game and it'd be nice to have Betances available for two innings. Who knows?

I know it's early in the season, but we've seen Girardi rely on these guys too heavily in the past. I think it's a sign of things to come, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Exactly. Betances and Chapman are super valuable. Betances was gassed last year and Chapman was ridden fairly hard in the playoffs. I'd rather have CC, Holder, Mitchell, Clippard, et al pitch those innings. Instead BOTH Betances and Chapman were in the game.

Maybe tonight is a close game and it'd be nice to have Betances available for two innings. Who knows?

I know it's early in the season, but we've seen Girardi rely on these guys too heavily in the past. I think it's a sign of things to come, unfortunately.
    Girardi clearly tried to avoid using Betances. Holder got in some trouble and the move to go to Betances at that point was defensible. With a 5-run lead in the 9th, he definitely could have saved Chapman but I can't get too upset about getting his first appearance out of the way. I don't think this one game in isolation is a problem, though of course what will really matter down the stretch is the pattern that emerges.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Or Gardner batting lead off, or Bird batting in the three-hole.

Almost burst a blood vessel seeing Hicks in the on deck circle to pinch hit representing the tying run with 2 outs in the 9th inning
    Bad manager.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Girardi clearly tried to avoid using Betances. Holder got in some trouble and the move to go to Betances at that point was defensible. With a 5-run lead in the 9th, he definitely could have saved Chapman but I can't get too upset about getting his first appearance out of the way. I don't think this one game in isolation is a problem, though of course what will really matter down the stretch is the pattern that emerges.
    I think we all realize that, and I can't complain about bringing in Betances in that situation. The argument is, if you are trying to avoid using Betances, it made absolutely no sense to use Mitchell for only 1 inning. None. Zero.

lets go yanks!!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Almost burst a blood vessel seeing Hicks in the on deck circle to pinch hit representing the tying run with 2 outs in the 9th inning
    Since the only other option was Carter why not let Hicks bat?

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Well, he tried to avoid using him after he'd already heated up. Why he's heating up with a 4-0 lead (with a chance for more with the Yankees batting) for the 8th inning is my question. Especially if Binder was going to go to Chapman regardless of what happened in the 8th, which he did.

Again, I'm not gnashing teeth over this in isolation; it's game 2. I am concerned though that this is an early indication that Binder intends to overuse Betances for a second year by forcing him into situations repeatedly that don't necessarily require his arm and his arm alone.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Since the only other option was Carter why not let Hicks bat?
    Because Carter is better
    Because Carter was signed to pinch hit
    Because Carter hits home runs

If not in that situation, when the heck do they plan on using the guy? There was also a situation in game 1, bases loaded and 2 out I believe it was, 7th inning, where he hit Hicks for Torreyes instead of Carter. If it's as simple as lefty/righty split thing that's ridiculous. Pretty sure all the binder has in it is a single sheet of loose leaf paper that says "Righty/lefty"
    Bad manager.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Because Carter is better
    Because Carter was signed to pinch hit
    Because Carter hits home runs

If not in that situation, when the heck do they plan on using the guy? There was also a situation in game 1, bases loaded and 2 out I believe it was, 7th inning, where he hit Hicks for Torreyes instead of Carter. If it's as simple as lefty/righty split thing that's ridiculous. Pretty sure all the binder has in it is a single sheet of loose leaf paper that says "Righty/lefty"
    Agreed. Plus Carter has better career splits against RHP than Hicks does.

Thread Information