+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Binder Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    The flip side of that argument is they may not have reached the World Series without him. It comes down to what I have been saying in this thread for many years, No manager or coach can pass muster if the standard is to scrutinize every move. And that's why Yankee fans should be very careful about getting too giddy if/when Girardi is dismissed because the reality is by every metric available Girardi's Yankee teams in recent years have out performed the talent on the field.
    In Hockey Land I'd heard ad nauseum for the last two years "be careful what you wish for", well what I wished for happened and it's been great ever since (despite the current 3-1 game deficit in the playoffs).

Coughlin on the Football Giants time had expired.
    Julien on the Bruins time had expired.
    Girardi is growing mold....
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    In Hockey Land I'd heard ad nauseum for the last two years "be careful what you wish for", well what I wished for happened and it's been great ever since (despite the current 3-1 game deficit in the playoffs).

i don't agree with this. i actually believe he's better in some aspects than he was four years ago.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

I actually agree that he has improved. I think he is more flexible. The lineups this year are an example.

I was disappointed in him not being more innovative at first, as my expectations were high. He has always seemed too rigid to me, unwilling or unable to adjust to game situations. And I assumed, perhaps irrationally, that he was in part responsible for the 2012 playoff collapse and would have fired him then had I been an emotional owner. I continue to question a lot of what he does, but that would be true of any manager I am sure.

I think whether he stays will depend on how well the team performs and of course him keeping the respect of the players, as he seems to have always thus far.

NYYF Legend

I expect the A lineup today after a 48 hour rest. We shall see.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I expect the A lineup today after a 48 hour rest. We shall see.
    Well remember -- Hicks didn't play in the last 2 games so it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the lineup tonight. In Girardi's mind, Hicks is part of the "A lineup".
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Well remember -- Hicks didn't play in the last 2 games so it wouldn't surprise me to see him in the lineup tonight. In Girardi's mind, Hicks is part of the "A lineup".
    Well he leads the team in OPS so I have no problem with him in the lineup until he cools off.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Gardner has not been productive since mid 2015. So if they want to give Hicks ABs at his expense I would have no issue with it.

NYYF Legend

Gardner has not been productive since mid 2015. So if they want to give Hicks ABs at his expense I would have no issue with it.
    Same. Just don't take ABs away from Judge right now.

NYYF Legend

With the first inter league series it will be interesting to see how Joe uses the lineup.

I suspect we will see a different starting OF every game and it's likely the guy who doesn't start may come in as part of double switch later.

I expect Torreyes to start all 3 games but probably won't finish them as there is an extra PH available for him and the Kozma will come in to finish.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Holiday start 1 game at 1B and Bird the other 2.

Hopefully Carter is strictly a PH option or late game double switch if needed.

Romine probably gets the CC & Pineda starts with Higgy getting the Montgomery start.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    With the first inter league series it will be interesting to see how Joe uses the lineup.

I suspect we will see a different starting OF every game and it's likely the guy who doesn't start may come in as part of double switch later.

I expect Torreyes to start all 3 games but probably won't finish them as there is an extra PH available for him and the Kozma will come in to finish.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Holiday start 1 game at 1B and Bird the other 2.

Hopefully Carter is strictly a PH option or late game double switch if needed.

Romine probably gets the CC & Pineda starts with Higgy getting the Montgomery start.
    If Bird does not start it will be Carter at first base. They don't really want Holliday in the field unless it's an emergency situation. Could see Hicks in for Gardner in one of the games.

NYYF HOF

Carter pinch-hit for Sabathia and struck out. Sabathia should have been left in. He had 77 pitches in 5 innings, and his last 3 innings were scoreless. Hitters get out most of the time, so even if you pinch-hit a power hitter there's not a big marginal value in pinch-hitting for a pitcher with nobody on base. The Yankees are down 1, not a ton. Sabathia might have been able to pitch more than 1 more inning if he was left in. I'm not only saying this because Carter struck out. In general I would let a pitcher bat in the top of sixth while down 1 if his last three innings were scoreless and he only had 77 pitches. Some managers may pinch-hit for the pitcher in the sixth in all games they're trailing, but I disagree with that. I'm not singling out Girardi because his decision would be common if you asked all managers to vote what they would do in that situation. My problem is with the general strategy.

Warren pitched a scoreless inning. He's been doing well, but it's better to use Clippard, Betances, and Chapman in a close game and save Warren for the possibility of pitching multiple innings in extra innings. If Sabathia had pitched 6, maybe Clippard would have been the first reliever.

Pulling CC when he did surprised me.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss

Brien "The Incident" just-blaze's Avatar

Not sure Carter v. Nicasio was the matchup I would have looked for though.

don't give him an actual loogy
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

NYYF Legend

Pulling CC when he did surprised me.
    I had no problem with that move. It's not like CC was pitching a 2 hit shutout. They were down by a run and Carter could have tied the game with one swing. It just didn't work out.

NYYF Legend

I had no problem with that move. It's not like CC was pitching a 2 hit shutout. They were down by a run and Carter could have tied the game with one swing. It just didn't work out.
    I didn't either and from all appearances, with even CC admitting after the game that he was a little short, CC really did not have good stuff tonight. So it was not like the Yankees took about a pitcher who had great stuff and by taking him out, gave the Pirates a better chance at scoring runs. And I totally agree with your take on the Carter AB.

I'd say pulling cc was the right move. Not sure about Carter there though

NYYF HOF

I think at this point it will be a pleasant surprise when/if Carter makes contact during an AB. And I don't really blame him either - he's just not adapting to sporadic ABs every couple of days.

IMO the best chance to get him an AB and not hurt the team is to have him come to the plate with none out.

I think it's going to be very interesting when Tyler Austin is ready to play. My preference right now is to release Carter when that time comes.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

I have seen Joe unfairly criticized for minutia in this thread after wins. Yet, yesterday after a brutal one run lose in which Joe made several highly questionable moves there is radio silence. Very strange.

NYYF Legend

I have seen Joe unfairly criticized for minutia in this thread after wins. Yet, yesterday after a brutal one run lose in which Joe made several highly questionable moves there is radio silence. Very strange.
    Which moves in particular did you not like.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Which moves in particular did you not like.
    I thought he over manged with the double switches which resulted in running out of players by the eight inning. I watched the game with my son and I told him before the Yankees batted in the ninth don't be surprised if the game is on the line with Kozma at bat and if that happens its on Girardi that they don't have a pinch hitter left. I also thought starting Gardner twice in the series over Hicks was a poor decision.

Just to add to the above, if your starter pitches six innings and there are no injury substitutions, you have to work really hard to run out of players by the eight inning and Joe managed to achieve that. Add the fact that with all his moves Kozma got an AB and Romine did not.

NYYF Legend

I thought he over manged with the double switches which resulted in running out of players by the eight inning. I watched the game with my son and I told him before the Yankees batted in the ninth don't be surprised if the game is on the line with Kozma at bat and if that happens its on Girardi that they don't have a pinch hitter left. I also thought starting Gardner twice in the series over Hicks was a poor decision.

Just to add to the above, if your starter pitches six innings and there are no injury substitutions, you have to work really hard to run out of players by the eight inning and Joe managed to achieve that. Add the fact that with all his moves Kozma got an AB and Romine did not.
    Ironically I think you are nit picking here (and I say ironically since you are usually one of Joe's staunchest defenders). I didn't really have an issue with his use of the bench yesterday. That's just the nature of NL baseball, particularly in a close game.

NYYF Legend

Ironically I think you are nit picking here (and I say ironically since you are usually one of Joe's staunchest defenders). I didn't really have an issue with his use of the bench yesterday. That's just the nature of NL baseball, particularly in a close game.
    The double switch burned a position player in Bird for no reason (the Yankees didn't know who would be pitching yet, so it wasn't like they were going lefty-righty with Carter, and I believe he faced a righty anyway).

It wasn't a huge deal, but resulted in one less player on the bench and Kozma having to hit, without any appreciable gain. I think Joe just wanted to get Carter in the game earlier rather than later or something.

You and I have to be on a short list of Yankees/Giants/Bruins fans. Yeah, I liked Claude, but like Francona in Boston, it was time for a change, and you can't argue with result. Cassidy, who I don't believe is the long term solution, was much more adept at playing kids and mixing and matching lines, on the fly no less. You think he gets hired?

Besides sitting Bird after his breakout game, the only issue I have is the use of Brian Mitchell. 7 appearances, 8.2 IP'd, though he did get 2 innings in his last appearance. With Warren and Mitchell showing they can get outs against lefties and righties pitching multiple innings, I think they should go down a man in the pen and add an extra bench player. Thoughts?

Thread Information