+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 49 FirstFirst ... 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 ... LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 Binder Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    That's my point also Bill, the manager is with the player everyday since spring training I think he has much more information to go on than any poster on this board and a ridiculous 10 game sampling of defensive metrics . I have no issue with anyone who disagrees with Girardi's move, that's fine. But as several posters have stated, the criticism of Girardi and the snarky "binder" references on these this forum is getting ridiculous and petty. Someone called into Mike Francesca today to complain about Girardi's moves and Francesca told the caller that he should watch other team's managers and get back to him. He told the caller point blank that Girardi knows what he's doing, has handled the young players superbly, and any Yankee fan that wants him fired is clueless. I agree with him.
    I definitely agree that there's a lot more to managing than deciding whether to sub Carter for Holliday with a 3-run lead in the 9th (which on the whole, doesn't have much impact either way). Firing him would obviously be completely unprecedented and extremely chaotic (and really indefensible), haha.

Lol, people in here acting like Carter is a defensive upgrade over Holiday. Carter may be a 1st baseman by trade but, Holiday is by far the better athlete and I would take my chances with an athlete over a stiff any day of the week. I cringe every time a ball is hit in the direction of Carter. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Carter was DFA'd tomorrow because he brings nothing to the table.

I'm not ready to argue about how things can be better managed when the team has the best winning pct. in baseball.

Go binder!
    Let the kids play.

You manage to win the game in nine innings and removing a DH from field for defense gives you the best chance. Your logic of "had Joe known the game would be 18 innings he wouldn't have done it" is so flawed its not even worth debating. First of, how many games go 18 innings? Secondly, of course both managers would have done things much differently if they had a crystal ball and knew the game would go 18.

Joe handed the ball to his closer with a three run lead in the ninth and his best available defense on the field. That's called putting your team in the best position to win.

They only reason Holiday is DH'ing is to save some wear and tear on his body. He isn't some albatross A-rod impersonator who can't play defense to save his life. He's probably a better defensive 1st baseman than Carter who plays the position for a living. I personally wouldn't have said boo about Girardi if Holiday booted a ball allowing the winning run to score because the right move was to keep him in there.

That's my point also Bill, the manager is with the player everyday since spring training I think he has much more information to go on than any poster on this board and a ridiculous 10 game sampling of defensive metrics . I have no issue with anyone who disagrees with Girardi's move, that's fine. But as several posters have stated, the criticism of Girardi and the snarky "binder" references on these this forum is getting ridiculous and petty. Someone called into Mike Francesca today to complain about Girardi's moves and Francesca told the caller that he should watch other team's managers and get back to him. He told the caller point blank that Girardi knows what he's doing, has handled the young players superbly, and any Yankee fan that wants him fired is clueless. I agree with him.
    lol francessa. Last season was god awful, culminating in that sweep at fenway. Sure they've started well, but I have zero faith in girardi when the going gets tough. Just like Maddon's poor managing in the WS will be glossed over because they won, Binders will be as well as long as the keep winning.

As i've said I don't expect him to be fired this year, but I definitely don't want him reupped. Turns out he almost went to the Cubs in '13, maybe this time we'll finally get rid of the binder.
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    So Joe gets credit for two bad throws by the Cubs infield?

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Yes. Any game that has statistical probabilities has situations like this. If a decision is a 55-45 one, meaning many times it won't work out, it's still the right one.

Your condescension/sarcasm is silly. Why does Joe checking here matter to you?
    My condescension/sarcasm??? His is called the "Binder Performance Thread". No sarcasm or condescension there, right?

The idea that a 55/45 descision involves no judgment and that the "right" descision is always the 55 side of the equation is just silly. It's still basically a toss up, it still involves other factors besides those that went into determining the 54/45 equation, and there's still the manager's knowledge of the players involved. How condescending is it for internet experts to be calling out the manager for making the wrong descision on what they admit is a 44/45 decision? Do we really want to waste our time on calling out a manager for taking the wrong side of a 55/45 call? When will we start calling him out for taking the "wrong" side of a 51/49 decision?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    My condescension/sarcasm??? His is called the "Binder Performance Thread". No sarcasm or condescension there, right?

The idea that a 55/45 descision involves no judgment and that the "right" descision is always the 55 side of the equation is just silly. It's still basically a toss up, it still involves other factors besides those that went into determining the 54/45 equation, and there's still the manager's knowledge of the players involved. How condescending is it for internet experts to be calling out the manager for making the wrong descision on what they admit is a 44/45 decision? Do we really want to waste our time on calling out a manager for taking the wrong side of a 55/45 call? When will we start calling him out for taking the "wrong" side of a 51/49 decision?
    I didn't name the thread, no need for all the punctuation.

I said 55-45 as an arbitrary example, but if you prefer, think of other numbers, like 70-30. It's not too hard to get. If you think Joe's decisions are not up for discussion because he knows more than we possibly could, then don't discuss them.

Offense "shouldn't have been a factor", but it was. 3-run 9th innings happen, like just 2 days prior, and managers can't ignore it because it's the closer's fault if it happens.

As always, the message board exists despite us having no power, so we are allowed to continue having discussions about things. I think that was pretty clearly the wrong call.
    I don't think it was the wrong call at all.

Yes, of course 3-run 9th innings happen. But with Aroldis Chapman as the closer? Why are they paying him all that money of he's going to be blowing 3 run leads? They pay him that much money because he's supposed to be automatic. The manager isn't supposed to plan for other contingencies when he's on the mound with a 3 run lead.

Chapman hadn't previously blown a save this year. He had only 3 blown saves all last year - none with a 3 run lead, and none with a 2 run lead. All 3 were with 1 run leads.

So, you're saying that Joe was supposed to plan for something so rare that it hasn't happened in 46 previous save opportunities in 2016-17? Nope. He ahould plan for the eventuality that exists 95-99% of the time, not the rare 1-4% case. Planning for the latter and jeopardizing the former would be the wrong decision.

I didn't name the thread, don't hurt yourself over there.

I said 55-45 as an arbitrary example, but if you prefer, think of other numbers, like 70-30. It's not too hard to get. If you think Joe's decisions are not up for discussion because he knows more than we possibly could, then don't discuss them.
    Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

NYYF Legend

Let's just agree to disagree on this one.
    Sure, that's fine. It's a pretty low impact decision on the whole.

Why no Judge?
    Thank you for making me calm today, Brett Gardner

NYYF HOF

If there was a AL Manager of the Month, Joe Girardi would have easily won it for April. He's probably leading the pack in May also.

If some posters here are 2nd guessing his moves and decisions w/o first giving him credit for team results, they really should be ashamed of themselves. He is pushing the buttons, and right now most of them seem to be the right ones.

Whatever happened to R-E-S-P-E-C-T ? Aretha Franklin disapproves :-)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by snapple View Post
    Why no Judge?
    Maybe because despite our wishes, Joe won't play him in all 162 games this season. Maybe next.... :-)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Why no Judge?
    Binder gonna bind

Why no Judge?
    18 straight games and reportedly still feeling his crash into the stands
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    18 straight games and reportedly still feeling his crash into the stands
    But not in eighteen straight days. He had Friday off, he's getting Wednesday off. I know we'll never know if he went to Joe and said he wasn't good to go tonight, but if it was purely Joe's decision it's a poor one
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss

NYYF Legend

And at the same time few to no players play 162 games anymore. If this was the hint of a platoon it would be one thing.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    But not in eighteen straight days. He had Friday off, he's getting Wednesday off. I know we'll never know if he went to Joe and said he wasn't good to go tonight, but if it was purely Joe's decision it's a poor one
    I'm not saying I agree with it, but all 4 outfielders are rolling , I'm not gonna get too worked up over it
    Quote Originally Posted by DEADSOX
    We won, stop bitching. Bitches.
    This Administration reminds me of Reservoir Dogs...Evil white guys in suits, few roles for women and Mr. Orange lies through the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    I'm not saying I agree with it, but all 4 outfielders are rolling , I'm not gonna get too worked up over it
    I suppose that they're not losing a lot because of how good all four are doing, but judge has been the best of them overall

Yes, of course 3-run 9th innings happen. But with Aroldis Chapman as the closer? Why are they paying him all that money of he's going to be blowing 3 run leads? They pay him that much money because he's supposed to be automatic. The manager isn't supposed to plan for other contingencies when he's on the mound with a 3 run lead.
    I disagreed with removing Judge, and I think Carter as a defensive replacement is debatable. But I really don't get this argument. Doesn't it also counter your point? If Chapman is automatic, why make those moves at all?

So, you're saying that Joe was supposed to plan for something so rare that it hasn't happened in 46 previous save opportunities in 2016-17? Nope. He ahould plan for the eventuality that exists 95-99% of the time, not the rare 1-4% case. Planning for the latter and jeopardizing the former would be the wrong decision.
    He should be constantly keeping the team in the best position to win. The incremental defense by removing Judge and Holliday was quite possibly zero, particularly when we're talking three outs with a strikeout machine coming to the mound. But the offensive downgrade by taking out arguably the AL's best hitter and a relatively hit Holliday is significant if things don't go according to plan.

NYYF Legend

Binder keeps on winning
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I have to give him credit for sticking with his starters this year. Last year it seemed like whenever a guy got to around 85 pitches, it was his last inning no matter what.

For God's sake, please everyone stop saying that Judge was replaced for defense when he very clearly was not. This was a simple case of a double switch where the last man to bat gets subbed out.

In the 8th inning, Luis Severino's #9 spot was due to lead off. Gardner pinch hit. At that point Gardner, Ellsbury, Hicks, and Judge were all in the game. In fact, all of them batted that inning, with Judge making the third out from the #5 spot.

Betances was to come into the game to pitch. Girardi's choices were to take out Gardner (due up 4th), Ellsbury (5th), Hicks (6th), or Judge (9th). He picked Judge.

This move was such an obvious no-brainer it's not even funny. I can't believe 24 hours later so many people aren't getting this.

There will always be reasons to criticize any manager but with the way this team is playing, all this bashing of Girardi seems pretty ridiculous to me. And no, this is not "thread policing" or any other nonsense like that. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but don't make up bogus reasons for the manager's decision and then criticize him for that very same bogus reasoning.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    For God's sake, please everyone stop saying that Judge was replaced for defense when he very clearly was not. This was a simple case of a double switch where the last man to bat gets subbed out.

In the 8th inning, Luis Severino's #9 spot was due to lead off. Gardner pinch hit. At that point Gardner, Ellsbury, Hicks, and Judge were all in the game. In fact, all of them batted that inning, with Judge making the third out from the #5 spot.

Betances was to come into the game to pitch. Girardi's choices were to take out Gardner (due up 4th), Ellsbury (5th), Hicks (6th), or Judge (9th). He picked Judge.

This move was such an obvious no-brainer it's not even funny. I can't believe 24 hours later so many people aren't getting this.

There will always be reasons to criticize any manager but with the way this team is playing, all this bashing of Girardi seems pretty ridiculous to me. And no, this is not "thread policing" or any other nonsense like that. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but don't make up bogus reasons for the manager's decision and then criticize him for that very same bogus reasoning.
    Exactly. Thanks for posting, I wanted to, but I was too lazy to dig up the details.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information