+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 ... LastLast

Re: 2017 Binder Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rajah View Post
    I think it might be difficult to pitch again after playing first base for an inning. I understand Joe's logic, assuming Warren was not available, but that was a problematic move.

Still, plenty of missed chances with runners on third cost them that game.
    The right move would have been sending Holder down to AAA and bringing up a fresh shuttle arm before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    As horrible as Levine is, if Betances is actually refusing to pitch multiple innings, it's on him. Some people are just gremlins, you can't refuse to do your job because they exist.

That said, I really doubt Betances is refusing to pitch multiple innings. Joe just doesn't quite know how to use him.
    Of course Betances is not refusing to pitch multiple innings! Suggesting that he is, whether because of Levine or otherwise, is ridiculous. Joe just does not use him in the flexible way that Tito used Miller so effectively. It is shame, in my opinion. The 6th inning was the perfect spot for him. Use Clippard in the 8th if Dellin gets them there with the lead.

NYYF Legend

This loss isn't on Girardi.

Not being able to get the timely hit (except once) did them in.

I agree with the idea to bring your better reliever(s) in when the game is on the line, but Holder has pitched well, and how fast can you get Dellin up in that inning anyway?

Besides, that's too much out of the box thinking for the Binder.

The Mitchell move was interesting and at least showed forethought by our leader. It didn't work out, but he gets a little gold star for trying it.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

NYYF MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Yeah, just let Mitchell keep pitching instead of bringing in Chapman. If he gets in trouble, bring in Chapman and then maybe let him go two innings and get what you can out of Layne.
    Totally agree....That is what I was thinking.... And agree with your comment on Betrances pitching 2 innings, too. We had many opportunities at the plate to win this one just didn't get that key hit.

NYYF Legend

Give him credit for trying to be creative... unfortunately, in hindsight, it was dumb
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Give him credit for trying to be creative... unfortunately, in hindsight, it was dumb
    so we were left with layne who threw 30 pitches the day before. joe's move made complete sense, we would have either had to extend chapman too long or get stuck with layne.

While I often lament Joe's lack of creativity, I never want to see him be creative again. It was actually worse than robotic binder match ups
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Wasn't there some game in KC with a threat of rain and he started a relief pitcher once to save the starter for after the rain delay?
    Good catch. Yankees also lost that game.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...d_all_wet.html

NYYF Legend

Had Joe let Warren finish Saturday game he would have had Layne available to pitch today. But non timely hitting is what lost this game.

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    This loss isn't on Girardi.

Not being able to get the timely hit (except once) did them in.

I agree with the idea to bring your better reliever(s) in when the game is on the line, but Holder has pitched well, and how fast can you get Dellin up in that inning anyway?

Besides, that's too much out of the box thinking for the Binder.

The Mitchell move was interesting and at least showed forethought by our leader. It didn't work out, but he gets a little gold star for trying it.
    Maybe if Joe had not used Warren in a game with a seven run lead, he would have been available for this game. Everybody including Mitchell knew how this game was going to end when the Yankees failed to score in the bottom of the tenth. What's wrong with pitching Severino and calling up a pitcher for tomorrow night's game against the hapless, offensively challenged Toronto Blue Jays? Also, there's a pretty big difference between Bird at the plate in the 10th and Holiday, who Joe foolishly lost for the game when he put Mitchel at first.

Joe might as well have come out and said if we win, let's make this about me and my creativity.

Make the Yankees great again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benefactor View Post
    Maybe if Joe had not used Warren in a game with a seven run lead, he would have been available for this game. Everybody including Mitchell knew how this game was going to end when the Yankees failed to score in the bottom of the tenth. What's wrong with pitching Severino and calling up a pitcher for tomorrow night's game against the hapless, offensively challenged Toronto Blue Jays?

Joe might as well have come out and said if we win, let's make this about me and my creativity.
    Bringing In Severino was never going to happen and thankfully so. The loss is on the offense, the team needs to rethink the bullpen mix. iMO they need another long reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Had Joe let Warren finish Saturday game he would have had Layne available to pitch today. But non timely hitting is what lost this game.
    They expanded the zone with runners in scoring position all game.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

It amazes me that back in Earl Weaver's day he carried only 10 pitchers, and the 10th pitcher got very little work. This allowed him to have so many versatile bench players. Now 12 pitchers isn't enough.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    It amazes me that back in Earl Weaver's day he carried only 10 pitchers, and the 10th pitcher got very little work. This allowed him to have so many versatile bench players. Now 12 pitchers isn't enough.
    Jim Palmsr, Dave McNally, Mike Cuellar, Pat Dobson. No need for too many relievers but your point is well taken. As I mentioned in my previous post Yankees need to subtract a short reliever and add a long reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Bringing In Severino was never going to happen and thankfully so. The loss is on the offense, the team needs to rethink the bullpen mix. iMO they need another long reliever.
    Game would probably have ended differently if Holiday was at the dish in the 10th and not Bird. It didn't have to be Severino, it could have been CC. And I agree, the Yankees should dump Layne in favor of another long reliever. Layne's sole purpose is to get lefties out and he can't even do that. He serves no purpose.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Art Vanderlay View Post
    Jim Palmsr, Dave McNally, Mike Cuellar, Pat Dobson. No need for too many relievers but your point is well taken. As I mentioned in my previous post Yankees need to subtract a short reliever and add a long reliever.
    4 man starting rotation and they all went 220 -240 innings with no arm issues. The good old days.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Game would probably have ended differently if Holiday was at the dish in the 10th and not Bird. It didn't have to be Severino, it could have been CC. And I agree, the Yankees should dump Layne in favor of another long reliever. Layne's sole purpose is to get lefties out and he can't even do that. He serves no purpose.
    With first base open they would have probably walked Holiday to set up force at any base.

NYYF Legend

By the way it was 11 innings and Joe managed to use every player on the team that was available.

By the way it was 11 innings and Joe managed to use every player on the team that was available.
    That's what gets me. The box reads like an 18 inning game
    You’re inviting the world to bite your arse when you stick your head in the sand.’- Choss
    Thetripleplay.wordpress.com

With first base open they would have probably walked Holiday to set up force at any base.
    I agree they would have walked Holliday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Pitching Betances two innings when down two in the score would have been misusing him
    People wanted him to pitch two innings when the Yankees were still in the lead - in place of Holder.

Perhaps, but why have the righty Verrett face the lefty Bird with a base open? Why not play the %'s in that instant?

yea I'm not terribly mad at Girardi today.

I think we should probably swap Shreve for Layne and shuffle out Holder for one of Green or Cessa and just use that spot as a shuttle spot.

NYYF Legend

Perhaps, but why have the righty Verrett face the lefty Bird with a base open? Why not play the %'s in that instant?
    Maybe because Bird has been slumping. Doubt they would give a veteran hitter like Holliday a chance to beat them twice in the series.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by spanky185 View Post
    That's what gets me. The box reads like an 18 inning game
    Joe almost did the same thing last Sunday at Pittsburgh .

Thread Information