+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

He had a pretty bad spring training, presenting a big cause for concern that the end is nigh. He no longer is protected by a multiyear contract. He may present the next big decision for the Yankees. But let's just hope he can at least perform one more year at a back end starter level and a couple of the young guys pitch well enough to compensate.

Suspended

Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

What are the odds the Yankees re-sign him this offseason because our 2018 rotation is empty?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    What are the odds the Yankees re-sign him this offseason because our 2018 rotation is empty?

Unless he's hurt, or has a real poor season, I'd say the odds are pretty high they go after him on a 1 year deal.

I fear the odds are pretty high that he has a real poor season, and that they are no more tempted to re-sign him than to re-sign Alex. I fear he his not even going to make it to the end of the season. I hope I am wrong (again).

I don't see him doing great but i expect him to eat some innings as long as he stays healthy.

Depending on how the offseason shapes up and how he performs, i llI can definitely see them trying to get him back for a year or so.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

It's really hard to think of CC as a "crafty lefty." But, that is what he is now! I can't root against him; I respect him too much. But to think of him as our #2 starter is rather upsetting.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

The plan is to get under the cap after this season and ridding ourselves of CC's contract is a key part of this. Recognizing that resigning him on a one year deal would represent a significant decrease in salary, I still don't see where the Yanks would consider this. Assuming that the kids show some progress this year and contribute to the big club at some point, I would trust that they can fill out a rotation from amongst Kap, Enns, Sheffield, Severino, Montgomery, Mitchell, Cessa, Green, Adams, etc... Oh, and that guy Tanaka assuming he doesn't opt out. If he does decide to do so, well that will be quite the head scratcher on what to do, rather than thinking about resigning CC.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mbn007 View Post
    Unless he's hurt, or has a real poor season, I'd say the odds are pretty high they go after him on a 1 year deal.
    think there is a solid chance too. not expecting much from him.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    It's really hard to think of CC as a "crafty lefty." But, that is what he is now! I can't root against him; I respect him too much. But to think of him as our #2 starter is rather upsetting.
    It's a sobering thought for the crazies who think the Yankees are a contender this year.

Anything can happen but, odds are, this rotation will take plenty of lumps. Tanaka getting beat up every now and then will accentuate this fact.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Nice crafty lefty among us here.. is it Tommy Byrne... is it Eddie Lopat.... nice command tonight
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    It's a sobering thought for the crazies who think the Yankees are a contender this year.
    I totally understand where you're coming from, but the two wild card system lowers the bar so much that it's hard to completely dismiss any halfway decent team's chances. I'm guessing the Yankees are probably an 85-win team, which means a few breaks and maybe a big deal or two at the deadline could make them a "contender" to at least earn a playoff spot.

As a fan I don't want the Yankees to make any dumb "win now" moves that take away from the long-term success they're building towards. But I would also love to see, at a minimum, "meaningful September baseball" and at a maximum, a respectable playoff run that they can build on next year. So while I would stop short of saying I think they're a contender, I do see a rational basis for hoping they will be.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I totally understand where you're coming from, but the two wild card system lowers the bar so much that it's hard to completely dismiss any halfway decent team's chances. I'm guessing the Yankees are probably an 85-win team, which means a few breaks and maybe a big deal or two at the deadline could make them a "contender" to at least earn a playoff spot.

As a fan I don't want the Yankees to make any dumb "win now" moves that take away from the long-term success they're building towards. But I would also love to see, at a minimum, "meaningful September baseball" and at a maximum, a respectable playoff run that they can build on next year. So while I would stop short of saying I think they're a contender, I do see a rational basis for hoping they will be.
    Yup. We competed last year with a team worse than this. Made the playoffs in 2015 and competed the two years before we didn't make the playoffs. Unless by competing it means World Series and that is highly unlikely.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post

I hear you but my definition of a "contender" is not merely getting into a spot in the wild card one-off like a couple years ago. That shutout vs. the Astros was not a playoff appearance IMO.

Don't get me wrong, if we get a WC slot I'll be amped up. That still doesn't rank as a contender.

NYYF Legend

his velocity was a pleasant surprise sitting at 92-93 and his slider and change played nicely off of them. He won't be the guy that gets us deep into the game, but he might be better than we expected. I still expect ups and downs, but whatever we get out of CC this year I consider icing on the cake given his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by smckdwn989 View Post
    his velocity was a pleasant surprise sitting at 92-93 and his slider and change played nicely off of them. He won't be the guy that gets us deep into the game, but he might be better than we expected. I still expect ups and downs, but whatever we get out of CC this year I consider icing on the cake given his contract.
    Normally, I would agree. Wasn't he only sitting at 85 pitches after 5 IP's last night?

NYYF Legend

Gonna stop posting this over and over, but:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about...locity-spikes/

Basically everybody is up 1 mph this year due to them measuring pitch speed at a different point on the trajectory (right as it comes out of the hand)

Suspended

Thanks for posting. I'll take 91-92 from CC. He looks fatter this season. I think it helps him .

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Jace View Post
    Gonna stop posting this over and over, but:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/about...locity-spikes/

Basically everybody is up 1 mph this year due to them measuring pitch speed at a different point on the trajectory (right as it comes out of the hand)
    even so, 91-92 is better than years past for CC. Especially this early in the season.

Yeah, why was he pulled so early?

NYYF Legend

5 year extension for this man now!
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Yeah, why was he pulled so early?
    Um it's game 2 and he's like 90 years old?
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Um it's game 2 and he's like 90 years old?
    I'd rather have CC, one of the more durable guys in baseball, log a few extra innings here and there than have Betances throw another ridiculous amount this season.

Our bullpen is going to see a heavy workload this season barring something unexpected happening with our rotation. I know it's early, but 85 pitches?

NYYF Legend

I'd rather have CC, one of the more durable guys in baseball, log a few extra innings here and there than have Betances throw another ridiculous amount this season.

Our bullpen is going to see a heavy workload this season barring something unexpected happening with our rotation. I know it's early, but 85 pitches?
    Joe was already trying to avoid going to Betances but Holder got into some trouble.

NYYF Legend

He's 36 now. Hasn't logged over 180 IP since 2013. The Yanks have an 8 man pen in the early going.

Seems perfectly reasonable to pull him too early rather than too late.
    Baseball is life;

Joe was already trying to avoid going to Betances but Holder got into some trouble.
    As I stated in the Binder thread, if the plan was to avoid using Betances, I really don't understand the decision to only use Mitchell for one inning (an easy one at that, 9 p's). That is what really bothers me, not so much the fact that CC was pulled after 5. I thought Mitchell was the "long" man, and this game was the perfect scenario for him to throw 2, maybe even 3 innings. IMO, Mitchell should never be throwing only one inning, unless the pc really gets up there.

Thread Information