+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 317
  1. #276

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    I think he's done enough to earn the Pettite "one year at a time" treatment in terms of contract offers... and I'm assuming they will offer him one, just to provide veteran presence and stability in the rotation

    Assuming Tanaka doesn't opt out, their rotation is then packed... not sure where Otani would fit in the picture, unless they trade Montgomery or Gray
    I have to believe that this is it for Sabathia as a Yankee unless he's willing to move to the pen.
    I say this based on the fact that he's barely a 5-inning starter now.

    Would love to keep him but not at the expense of Monty, Otani or even Chance Adams.

    I'm on the fence about Gray - don't feel he's a fit for the Yankees, YSIII or the AL East but at this point you're probably selling low if you trade him now.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

  2. #277
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    I live by the Sound

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Assuming Tanaka doesn't opt out, their rotation is then packed... not sure where Otani would fit in the picture, unless they trade Montgomery or Gray
    I will absolutely strangle them if they trade Montgomery.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zimmer's Helmet View Post
    I'm on the fence about Gray - don't feel he's a fit for the Yankees, YSIII or the AL East but at this point you're probably selling low if you trade him now.
    Agree, plenty worried about him but too early to bail, regardless of 2017 playoff results going forward.

  3. #278

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    Agree, plenty worried about him but too early to bail, regardless of 2017 playoff results going forward.
    The issue isn't his one bad start in the playoffs. It's his 5.30 ERA in Yankee Stadium.

  4. #279

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    My respects big man, heart of a champion ! Bravo, Bravo.

  5. #280

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Yankee legend

  6. #281

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    These tough postseason starts are adding millions to be 2018 price tag. Taking the ball when your team is desperate and delivering...amazing stuff.

  7. #282

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Papi says: "CC Sebastian is the ace of this generation."
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  8. #283

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    The issue isn't his one bad start in the playoffs. It's his 5.30 ERA in Yankee Stadium.
    Very small sample size.

  9. #284
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    I love this guy. Coming up huge over and over. Always when we need it.
    In Cashman I trust.
    NYYFans FBB: Evil Empire

  10. #285

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NYYfan4life90 View Post
    Very small sample size.
    It's not an isolated start or 2. Gray's had 6 starts in The Stadium. If this season were to be considered an audition, he's had 2 months to show what he can do. That's not a brief audition. What else are they going to go on?

    He's spent his career in an extreme pitcher's park. There's always been a question of how his game would translate into Yankee Stadium and the more hitter friendly Parks of the AL East. Consider the following:

    Camden Yards - 4 starts, 5.40 ERA
    Fenway Park - 3 starts, 6.75 ERA
    Yankee Stadium - 6 starts, 5.30 ERA

    Yes, more small samples, but that's 13 starts in 3 parks where the Yankees play a lot of big games and he's struggled in every one of them.

  11. #286
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Papi says: "CC Sebastian is the ace of this generation."
    The buffoonery of this guy is off the charts. I've tried really hard to ensure that I don't judge his contributions in that booth based on my dislike for him as a player, and I think I've been successful in that regard. But I can't see how anyone that doesn't sleep in Papi Pajamas or subscribe to his Milkshake of the Month club doesn't want to strangle him (in the proverbial sense).

    Similarly, I've tried not to be a homer in evaluating A-Rod's contributions, and I think I've also been successful in that regard. He brings insights and articulates points based on his extensive baseball acumen - as a player, as an analyst and a fan of the game. The only thing that I'm not enjoying from him is the faux-rivalry shtick he and Ortiz have going on. It's tired already.

  12. #287

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Welcome Back - CC Resigns for 1 yr @ 10MM

  13. #288

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNewman View Post
    I will absolutely strangle them if they trade Montgomery.
    Count me in. I'll help you. This kid will only get better. His best years are all in front of him, which is why organizations develop talent in house. Terrible if they trade him away for someone who is "established".

  14. #289
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    The buffoonery of this guy is off the charts. I've tried really hard to ensure that I don't judge his contributions in that booth based on my dislike for him as a player, and I think I've been successful in that regard. But I can't see how anyone that doesn't sleep in Papi Pajamas or subscribe to his Milkshake of the Month club doesn't want to strangle him (in the proverbial sense).

    Similarly, I've tried not to be a homer in evaluating A-Rod's contributions, and I think I've also been successful in that regard. He brings insights and articulates points based on his extensive baseball acumen - as a player, as an analyst and a fan of the game. The only thing that I'm not enjoying from him is the faux-rivalry shtick he and Ortiz have going on. It's tired already.
    Kramer: Jerry, buddy, I got to tell you something. That voice is played.
    Jerry: Really?
    Kramer: So played.

  15. #290
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The urinal next door

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Papi says: "CC Sebastian is the ace of this generation."
    Did he actually call him CC Sebastian or was that just your phone autocorrecting you? Lol
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  16. #291

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Did he actually call him CC Sebastian or was that just your phone autocorrecting you? Lol
    That's exactly what he said on live TV.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  17. #292
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    $10m? nice. less than i was expecting.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  18. #293
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Fort Myers

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Shame on me for thinking they could get him for 5.
    Still, 10 just might be a bargain.
    He still has a (good) 150 IP in him.

  19. #294
    NYYF Legend

    mbn007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by mr.roy View Post
    Shame on me for thinking they could get him for 5.
    Still, 10 just might be a bargain.
    He still has a (good) 150 IP in him.
    $5 million would have been a very insulting offer. I do not believe that low of an offer was ever in the cards.


    Personally, I was expecting something more in the $12 million range or so, with maybe a few incentives thrown in. So the current offer is quite OK with me.

  20. #295

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    13 wins away from 250 for his career.

  21. #296

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Man_With_No_Plan View Post
    13 wins away from 250 for his career.
    Whatever that means...

  22. #297

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Whatever that means...
    I profusely apologize for my inane babbling.

  23. #298

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Whatever that means...
    I guarantee that means something to CC.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  24. #299

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    I guarantee that means something to CC.
    I sure hope not. Pitcher wins are worthless in defining a starter's performance/ability. And the obsession with round numbers always mystified me. But if we're going to follow that logic, at least make it 300. Who cares about 250?

    A ring and logging more innings this year than last is what should mean something to him now.

  25. #300

    Re: 2017 C.C. Sabathia Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    I sure hope not. Pitcher wins are worthless in defining a starter's performance/ability. And the obsession with round numbers always mystified me. But if we're going to follow that logic, at least make it 300. Who cares about 250?

    A ring and logging more innings this year than last is what should mean something to him now.
    In today's game where teams use a 5-man rotation and starters no longer pitch 15-20 complete games a year, one could argue that 250 wins is the equivalent of what 300 wins meant 30 years ago.

    While I generally agree that wins in themselves aren't indicative of a pitcher's effectiveness, a pitcher who reaches 250 - 300 career wins is indicative of someone who has been consistent and durable throughout his career. You look at the list of pitchers in MLB history who won at least 250 games, and you won't see a Steve Stone or Ross Grimsley in there. None of them got there by fluke.

    Whether you agree or not, reaching 250 career wins is a milestone in today's game.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts