+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    I think that is a fair and reasonable statement.
    IMO May is still very early in the season. AS Break is mid season. Young players need to learn at the big league level anyway.

Let the young guys play. If Bird, Sanchez and Judge struggle at times so be it. Otherwise the team will never break from FA 30 year olds.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I don't think this is an unreasonable thought. His ST performance and the first 9 games of the season are super incongruous. There has to be some explanation.
    Right, that's all I'm saying. I'm not calling for him to be benched or sent to AAA. I just find it odd that he went from looking like Bary Bonds to a blind Mark Reynolds seemingly overnight.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    IMO May is still very early in the season. AS Break is mid season. Young players need to learn at the big league level anyway.

Let the young guys play. If Bird, Sanchez and Judge struggle at times so be it. Otherwise the team will never break from FA 30 year olds.
    Generally you're right. But it depends on the roots of his struggle. If it's pitch recognition or hitting approach, sure you keep him in the major to let him figure it out because staying at AAA won't help him to solves any of these problems. If it's hitting mechanics, it may actually be better and a lot easier for him to make the adjustment in AAA. Team also needs to consider player's mental aspect. It may be better for the youngster to regroup himself in a lesser pressure environment.

That's being said, it too early to explore this option.

When judge struggled, he was mostly missing on sliders. He could still hit a fastball. Hell, Torreyes can hit a fastball. If you can't hit low 90's fastball, then im sorry, you are not a major leaguer. Is it something mechanical? I hope so. But seeing him swing through an 88 mph have really made me lower my expectations for him.
    Last edited by 1936-1939JoeNLou; 04-14-17 at 12:25 PM.

You guys also need to factor in, he's not being pitched the same way. In ST he was getting fastballs middle in. Now its soft and hard stuff away. Most of the time, it's out of the zone. He's don't a decent job of laying off. But when it's in the zone, he needs to take that pitch the other way.
    I'm not that concerned. Part of the learning process. Teams made an adjustment. Now it's his turn.
    "Bird has a slow bat. He gets owned by 92 mph fastballs". -1936-1939JoeNLou

I ain't scared. He's gonna blow up.
    Calmer than you are

Please don't break our hearts. I don't know how many of us will recover.
    [SIZE=3]NYY Triforce[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Phil Hughes[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Joba Chamberlain[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ian Kennedy[/SIZE]

NYYF Legend

Time to murder his cat
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

Bird doesn't look close to hitting a ball fair.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by flymick24 View Post
    Time to murder his cat
    I'll volunteer. That cat is gross and deserves it.
    Calmer than you are

So, how much rope should Girardi give him? More than Judge got last year?

He's not just slumping, he's looking terrible.
    He can't get around on a fastball and he's struck out in half of his AB.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

The big question during spring was the shoulder and whether his timing was back.

He clearly answered it. It's not like pitchers were throwing underhanded to him in spring training. The bat speed was there, he simply demolished everything.

And you don't lose bat speed at age 24.

Even though he doesn't have a lot of ML service time, he's got too good of a track record. If he's healthy, keep running him out there. Let him work it out.

They'll need him if they're going to contend in 2017 and, more importantly, beyond this season.

there's no downside to playing him. not like you got young pujols rotting in aaa

as long as they don't exacerbate whatever injury he may have.
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

I agree with both of you, but at what point does his psyche start to take a hit?
    Does there not come a point where a brief visit to SWB helps to get him back on track?
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I agree with both of you, but at what point does his psyche start to take a hit?
    Does there not come a point where a brief visit to SWB helps to get him back on track?
    It's hard for me to get into discussion about a player's psyche. Not saying it's unimportant. I'm sure confidence plays a part in a player's performance. But it's an ambiguous topic for me.

A more concrete explanation is that this is a random stretch. It's been a bad stretch of games (~30 PAs so far). I also think had this occurred in the middle of August, there wouldn't be as much attention paid as it is now to begin the season.

Trout had an 8 game stretch last August in which he struck out 14 times in 29 PAs. Obviously, Bird doesn't have 2 MVP awards as equity. But the point is that these kinds of slumps happen to the best of them.

If he's healthy, which by all accounts he is, the good bet is to give him the opportunity to break out of this.

NYYF Legend

I was only able to see his last 2 abs yesterday, which is funny because he looked fine in both of them

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo_T View Post
    It's hard for me to get into discussion about a player's psyche. Not saying it's unimportant. I'm sure confidence plays a part in a player's performance. But it's an ambiguous topic for me.

A more concrete explanation is that this is a random stretch. It's been a bad stretch of games (~30 PAs so far). I also think had this occurred in the middle of August, there wouldn't be as much attention paid as it is now to begin the season.

Trout had an 8 game stretch last August in which he struck out 14 times in 29 PAs. Obviously, Bird doesn't have 2 MVP awards as equity. But the point is that these kinds of slumps happen to the best of them.

If he's healthy, which by all accounts he is, the good bet is to give him the opportunity to break out of this.
    ^ voice of reason^
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    I agree with all the sentiment here regarding his abilities as a major leaguer, and I have no doubts about him getting into a good grove at the plate. However, if he reaches 100 at bats and is still putting up the same kind of results I don't see any reason not to send him down to get his confidence back. As another poster pointed out, even Mantle got sent down for not hitting, and even considered quitting, and look what happened to him. For now though let's just hope he can snap out of this relatively soon.
    Let the kids play.

bird seems like a guy who is focused on process and all that. this kind of decision involving how a player is actually feeling and thinking is best left to coaching staff who are in better position to observe
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    there's no downside to playing him. not like you got young pujols rotting in aaa

as long as they don't exacerbate whatever injury he may have.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    uh 2000? buy some apple stock btw
    always reasonable

NYYF Cy Young

He just hit one of the longest homeruns I've ever seen at New Yankee Stadium without even trying. Damn.

NYYF Cy Young

Maybe others have made this comparison, but Bird so far reminds me of Bernie Williams in 1991. A ton of potential to be a solid, reliable hitter, but struggled out of the gate causing potentially some doubt. But turned into one of the better Yankees of that era.

That was an absolute bomb. More please.
    Calmer than you are

He's back

Thread Information