+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 824
  1. #51
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Girardi's reprieve...

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Word is he's always icing his ankle since he fouled a pitch off it last week in ST. Why not just give him a few days off?
    Mr Coffee: "I definitely think people are overreacting to the Arpaio pardon."

  2. #52
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Word is he's always icing his ankle since he fouled a pitch off it last week in ST. Why not just give him a few days off?
    Probably a good idea.

  3. #53
    Make the Yankees great again!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    4 games. He'll be alright. His timing seems very off. Missing hanging things he should be murdering.
    At this time the defense is more troubling for me than the offense. He does not look comfortable at first base.

  4. #54
    NYYF Legend

    Sam18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    NYC or 2.77 miles from the greatest stadium on earth

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Looks like my ass is safe this year.
    Fire Tanaka

  5. #55

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Once his ankle heals, he'll be a bit better going forward. But jeez, it must be annoying to foul pitches off your foot

  6. #56
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam18 View Post
    Looks like my ass is safe this year.
    With my stash of rohypnol, I wouldn't be so sure
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  7. #57

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 1936-1939JoeNLou View Post
    You should not be in the majors if you cannot hit an 88 mph fastball.
    So, what exactly is your vendetta with Bird?

  8. #58

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Yeah, he's lost.

    But as long as his ankle isn't still a problem, need to keep running him out there.


  9. #59

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Yeah, he's lost.

    But as long as his ankle isn't still a problem, need to keep running him out there.
    He's in a slump. And it might just take a hit to get him out of it.


    He's gonna be fine

  10. #60
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    He has K'd in 50% of his at bats. Not looking good. I wonder how much patience the team will show?

  11. #61

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    He has K'd in 50% of his at bats. Not looking good. I wonder how much patience the team will show?
    A lot. 400-500 AB's. Learn on the job. Other teams do it.

  12. #62
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    A lot. 400-500 AB's. Learn on the job. Other teams do it.
    I hope you are right.

  13. #63
    New Murderer's Row False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    I'm a little concerned something's up with that shoulder. He went from blazing hot in ST to whiffing on straight mediocre fastballs overnight. I hope it's just a slump.

  14. #64
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'm a little concerned something's up with that shoulder. He went from blazing hot in ST to whiffing on straight mediocre fastballs overnight. I hope it's just a slump.
    Thank you. I made a similar comment in the 2017 season thread and someone accused me of overreacting. I don't even know if I would call it concern as much as bewilderment. It's just odd that he went from murdering fastballs to flat out missing them within a matter of days. A 50% K rate is certainly worth some discussion on a baseball message board.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  15. #65
    Devoted Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    At this point, I'm more concerned with how Greg Bird fares then wins. That's more important for the long term health of the franchise.

    Right now, the guy can't even hit mediocre fastballs. I'm not sure what you do with him, if he continues to K and not make the adjustment.

  16. #66

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JBursch23 View Post
    At this point, I'm more concerned with how Greg Bird fares then wins. That's more important for the long term health of the franchise.

    Right now, the guy can't even hit mediocre fastballs. I'm not sure what you do with him, if he continues to K and not make the adjustment.
    I'd say to leave him in the lineup and give him this season to work through his struggles. Same with Judge- even if he was still overmatched at the plate, which he obviously has not been. To me, this is a season to let our kids take their lumps. And I agree that how our kids fare is more important than short term wins.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

  17. #67
    Super Moderator matt2351's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Manhattan, NY

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Thank you. I made a similar comment in the 2017 season thread and someone accused me of overreacting. I don't even know if I would call it concern as much as bewilderment. It's just odd that he went from murdering fastballs to flat out missing them within a matter of days. A 50% K rate is certainly worth some discussion on a baseball message board.
    I don't think this is an unreasonable thought. His ST performance and the first 9 games of the season are super incongruous. There has to be some explanation.

  18. #68

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by matt2351 View Post
    I don't think this is an unreasonable thought. His ST performance and the first 9 games of the season are super incongruous. There has to be some explanation.
    one is spring training and one is the regular reason
    the 1890's socialist Player's League, founded by workers:
    socialistappeal.org/history-theory/us-history/959-the-1890-players-league.html

  19. #69
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    IMO Bird is trying to crush/pull fastballs that are tailing away from him, instead of just trying to make solid contact on those tailing fastballs by putting the barrel of the bat on the ball.

    I think it's easy, psychologically, to try and do too much once you've done more than expected.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  20. #70
    Administrator Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    If it's not the shoulder then it's timing. We saw A-Rod go through this the entire time he was here, late on fastballs then making a correction like putting the front foot down a little more quickly. He'll figure it out.
    Let the kids play.

  21. #71

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    If it's not the shoulder then it's timing. We saw A-Rod go through this the entire time he was here, late on fastballs then making a correction like putting the front foot down a little more quickly. He'll figure it out.
    At some point you have to wonder if his futility continues if it wouldn't be better for him to figure it out in AAA and once he gets his feet back on the ground to bring him back up then?

    It's still really early, though. But if he is still struggling in May then you have consider all options.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

  22. #72

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    IMO Bird is trying to crush/pull fastballs that are tailing away from him, instead of just trying to make solid contact on those tailing fastballs by putting the barrel of the bat on the ball.

    I think it's easy, psychologically, to try and do too much once you've done more than expected.
    He did line out to LF last night, on what was probably one of his best swings of the year so far.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  23. #73
    NYYF Cy Young


    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dunstable, MA

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    A lot. 400-500 AB's. Learn on the job. Other teams do it.
    Watching Carter in the cleanup spot makes me feel more comfortable. I am stunned because he looked so good in ST but I want him out there for 400 - 500 ABs. I have no problem if he bats in the bottom as long as he in the lineup.

  24. #74

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    He did line out to LF last night, on what was probably one of his best swings of the year so far.
    Was just about to post this.

  25. #75

    Re: The Official 2017 GREG BIRD Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    At some point you have to wonder if his futility continues if it wouldn't be better for him to figure it out in AAA and once he gets his feet back on the ground to bring him back up then?

    It's still really early, though. But if he is still struggling in May then you have consider all options.
    I think that is a fair and reasonable statement.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts