+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RIP Chuck Berry

RIP Chuck Berry

Dead at the age of 90.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: RIP Chuck Berry

In 1978, SNL did a psychic news sketch - "Next Week In Review." I've never been able to find a video of it (SNL is really stingy with their old stuff), but I found a transcript, and a picture of the punchline:

Maxine Universe: Well, uh, Cocuwa -- you predicted every Time Magazine cover for the last two years. Um, what's going to be on the Time Magazine cover this week -- uh, next week -- the Pope's cloning, the nuclear dump disappearance, or the Boone-napping?

Cocuwa: NONE of the above, Maxine! You know that my adopted name -- Cocuwa -- means "To help without compensation" in Hawaiian. And I have NOTHING to gain in ANY way from the personal wealth of my great gift. I believe... next week's Time cover... will be about the recent communication from outer space.

Kreeg Antwoord: Uh -- uh -- uh, Cocuwa -- I agree with you that it would be the biggest story if the message was of any importance. But we all know how trivial it is.

Maxine Universe: Well, what -- you mean a foreign planet will actually send a message next week?

Cocuwa: No! A foreign planet actually SENT us a message last week. Next week, the government will reveal the message to the public.

Kreeg Antwoord: [ coughing ] You see, it all started on August 20th, 1977, when NASA put up a recording of the sounds of Earth on Voyager I. A two-hour long tape included, uh, natural sounds of animals, a French poem by Gaugliere, a passage from the Koran in Arabic, messages from President Carter, United Nations Secretary Kurt Waldheim, music -- everything from classical to Chuck Berry.

Maxine Universe: Uh -- and you're saying that the, uh -- another civilization has found the tape?

Cocuwa: Yes. They've sent us a message that actually proves it. It may be just four simple words, but it is the FIRST positive proof that other intelligent beings inhabit the universe.

Maxine Universe: Uh -- what are the four words, Cocuwa?

Cocuwa: The four words that came to us from outer space -- the FOUR words that will appear on the cover of Time Magazine next week -- are: [ he holds up the magazine]

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

[Verse 1]
    Deep down Louisiana close to New Orleans
    Way back up in the woods among the evergreens
    There stood a log cabin made of earth and wood
    Where lived a country boy named Johnny B. Goode
    Who never ever learned to read or write so well
    But he could play the guitar just like a ringing a bell

[Chorus]
    Go, go
    Go Johnny go, go
    Go Johnny go, go
    Go Johnny go, go
    Go Johnny go, go
    Johnny B. Goode

[Verse 2]
    He used to carry his guitar in a gunny sack
    Go sit beneath the tree by the railroad track
    Oh, the engineers would see him sitting in the shade
    Strumming with the rhythm that the drivers made
    People passing by they would stop and say
    Oh my that little country boy could play

[Chorus]

[Verse 3]
    His mother told him "Someday you will be a man
    And you will be the leader of a big old band
    Many people coming from miles around
    To hear you play your music when the sun go down
    Maybe someday your name will be in lights
    Saying 'Johnny B. Goode Tonight'"
    He wrote it.
    He played it.
    He lived it.

from Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_B._Goode

Written by Berry in 1955, the song is about an illiterate "country boy" from the New Orleans area, who plays a guitar "just like ringing a bell," and who might one day have his "name in lights."[3] Berry has acknowledged that the song is partly autobiographical and that the original lyrics referred to Johnny as a "colored boy", but he changed it to "country boy" to ensure radio play.[4] As well as suggesting that the guitar player is good, the title hints at autobiographic elements, because Berry was born at 2520 Goode Avenue, in St. Louis.[3] The song was initially inspired by Johnnie Johnson, the regular piano player in Berry's band,[5][6] but developed into a song mainly about Berry himself. Johnson played on many other recordings by Berry, but Lafayette Leake played the piano on this song.[3]
    RIP, Chuck. We just lost an all-time great talent.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    He wrote it.
    He played it.
    He lived it.

from Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_B._Goode

RIP, Chuck. We just lost an all-time great talent.
    That's the best song, but my personal favorite lyric is: As I was motivatin' over the hill/ I saw Maybellene in a Coupe de Ville.

All-time great talent indeed.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That's the best song, but my personal favorite lyric is: As I was motivatin' over the hill/ I saw Maybellene in a Coupe de Ville.

All-time great talent indeed.
    Ridin' along in my calaboose
    Still tryin' to get her belt unloose
    All the way home I held a grudge,
    But the safety belt, it wouldn't budge

To a legend, R.I.P.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

RIP brown eyed handsome man.

NYYF Legend

R.I.P.

"If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'."
    John Lennon
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

R-I-P, Mr. Nelson Mandela Jersey Yankee's Avatar

To a wonderful man who made people love his talent, adore his concerts, and will always be remembered as a great musician and entertainer.

He'll be duck walking his way into the Pearly Gates soon.

R-I-P
    Dr King (1929-68): Make the Dream a Reality.
    RIP, Nelson Mandela, Jackie #42 & Rosa Parks; Ali: Get up…get up; Isaac Hayes; Stevie Wonder: Isn't She Lovely?; Dr J: Fear the 'Fro; Smokin' Joe

NYYF Legend

I fondly recall that he used the granny method to shoot his foul shots, and was deadly accurate.
    That's our second Arby's in town. Some say it's better, the fries are curlier, though I wouldn't know. I'm loyal to the original.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    I fondly recall that he used the granny method to shoot his foul shots, and was deadly accurate.
    RIP...the father of Rock and Roll...so many great songs
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    RIP...the father of Rock and Roll...so many great songs
    Don't discount the contributions of Marty McFly and Chuck's cousin Marvin.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    No, no. That's Rick, brother of Chuck and Marion.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

He directly influenced the Beatles and the Stones. Not sure about Elvis, but there's an argument to be made that Chuck Berry is really the father of rock n roll.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    He directly influenced the Beatles and the Stones. Not sure about Elvis, but there's an argument to be made that Chuck Berry is really the father of rock n roll.
    Rosetta Tharpe was the mother of rock and roll.

https://www.google.com/amp/fusion.ne...oll-sound/amp/

Meet Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the black woman who invented that rock and roll sound

Rosetta Tharpe was born 100 years ago today—March 20, 1915, twenty years before Elvis, a decade before Chuck Berry. And she could play the rock and roll guitar better than anyone, before anyone.
    “She did incredible picking. That’s what attracted Elvis to her,” Gordon Stoker, who led Elvis’ backing band, told the documentary crew. “He liked her singing, too. But he liked her picking first, because it was so different.”

Her 1944 hit “Down by the Riverside” features a solo section where she just shreds the guitar. Like, the kind of shredding Michael J. Fox’s character tries to pull off in Back to the Future. And this was before the end of World War II!

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Rosetta Tharpe was the mother of rock and roll.

https://www.google.com/amp/fusion.ne...oll-sound/amp/

Meet Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the black woman who invented that rock and roll sound
    I love Sister Rosetta Tharpe, but I don't think I'd call her the mother of rock and roll. There were a lot of people who chipped in, and she was one of them.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

roll over Beethoven and tell Tchaikovsky the news

RIP
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I don't know much about Berry, but I read an article which says he had sex with a 14 year old girl and punched a different woman in the face. I'm surprised that some posters in this thread (you know who you are) are glossing over this. Not trying to stir sh*t up - I genuinely want to know why this doesn't matter, when I've seen it matter in other cases for some of you.

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I don't know much about Berry, but I read an article which says he had sex with a 14 year old girl and punched a different woman in the face. I'm surprised that some posters in this thread (you know who you are) are glossing over this. Not trying to stir sh*t up - I genuinely want to know why this doesn't matter, when I've seen it matter in other cases for some of you.
    There's also this:

In the late 1980s, Berry bought The Southern Air, a restaurant in Wentzville, Missouri.[56] In 1990 he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the women's bathroom. Berry claimed that he had the camera installed to catch a worker who was suspected of stealing from the restaurant. Though his guilt was never proved in court, Berry opted for a class action settlement with 59 women. His biographer, Bruce Pegg, estimated that it cost Berry over $1.2 million plus legal fees.[57] During this time Berry began using Wayne T. Schoeneberg as his legal counsel. Reportedly, a police raid on his house found videotapes of women using the restroom, as well as one minor. Also found in the raid were 62 grams of marijuana. Felony drug and child-abuse charges were filed. In order to avoid the child-abuse charges, Berry agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana. He was given a six-month suspended jail sentence and two years' unsupervised probation and was ordered to donate $5,000 to a local hospital.[58]
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

I've not heard about this but will look for it.

Chuck Berry
    Barry White
    Eddie Bunker
    Jack Mosley
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I'll bite.

Yes, you are trying to stir sh*t up. In fact, this is exactly the type of thing somebody would say to play a game of gotcha. As if your sincerity even delves an inch beyond it. Come on dude.

As to the topic: I just didn't address it, because frankly, it's out there on the internet for discovery anyway. It's not NYYFans' job to provide the entire story of a man for you.
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    I'll bite.

Yes, you are trying to stir sh*t up. In fact, this is exactly the type of thing somebody would say to play a game of gotcha. As if your sincerity even delves an inch beyond it. Come on dude.

As to the topic: I just didn't address it, because frankly, it's out there on the internet for discovery anyway. It's not NYYFans' job to provide the entire story of a man for you.

As if my question has no merit, right? We have self-proclaimed feminists in this thread honoring his life. That doesn't make sense to me.

Texsahara said she didn't know abkut this. I believe her.

NYYF Legend

As if my question has no merit, right? We have self-proclaimed feminists in this thread honoring his life. That doesn't make sense to me.

Texsahara said she didn't know abkut this. I believe her.
    Was it your intent merely to educate her, or to wonder why she didn't include it in her respects as your initial post suggested?

As is the case with any celebrity's passing, there's more to the story of their lives that would otherwise be shared to a baseball message board's condolences thread. Hell, I quoted John Lennon up-thread, who himself I believe was violent towards his first wife, and kind of a deadbeat, too.

Thread Information