+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17 57 64 65 66 67
Results 1,651 to 1,669 of 1669

Thread: Healthcare

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Re: Healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    While I'm not defending the health care system because I believe it's so broken, the article doesn't say anyone is denied treatment, just that it costs a ton, so I don't think your statement rings true on the Rhody link.

It is interesting though. The drug has a short shelf life, so regular places don't carry it. Therefore one must get it through an ER, which is always more expensive. I don't know how you combat that.

But yeah, there HAS to be a better way to care for our sick and elderly. No argument there.
    i was talking about their POV in general, not the link specifically.

bolded part: one way is to not make a profit off health care.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    i was talking about their POV in general, not the link specifically.

bolded part: one way is to not make a profit off health care.
    How do you incentivize people to practice it?
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

No reason doctors canít make money. But having insurance companies making medical decision no based n profit is a whole different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No reason doctors can’t make money. But having insurance companies making medical decision no based n profit is a whole different thing.
    I was thinking more in the vein of incentivizing pharmaceutical companies to spend the huge money on R&D required to make new breakthroughs in medication.

I think you and I agree the system rewards sickness financially though, which is the big issue.

I was thinking more in the vein of incentivizing pharmaceutical companies to spend the huge money on R&D required to make new breakthroughs in medication.

I think you and I agree the system rewards sickness financially though, which is the big issue.
    It doesnít reward the insurance companies for sickness, it rewards them for denying coverage.

The insurance companies, in turn, reward procedures, because those are easy to keep track of, and to control - but itís a terrible model for helping anyone get better

Pay for medical school or make it substantially less expensive. Salary will be a bit lower but the trade-off is that there's a lot less debt.

You can knock down costs without substantially reducing doctors' pay just be eliminating the giant bloated insurance middleman.

But if the doctors have to take a hit, so be it.

Unsurprisingly, a lot of the ďr&dĒ comes from universities. Pharm companies just profit off theresearch.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/tr...aid/ar-BBIKHNe

And people thought Obama Death Panels were bad.
    That's crap. When I was working 50+ hours a week at Six Flags, I was on Medicaid because the cheap bastards didn't offer health insurance to me (apparently they offer it now). How is that my fault?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

While I'm not defending the health care system because I believe it's so broken, the article doesn't say anyone is denied treatment, just that it costs a ton, so I don't think your statement rings true on the Rhody link.

It is interesting though. The drug has a short shelf life, so regular places don't carry it. Therefore one must get it through an ER, which is always more expensive. I don't know how you combat that.

But yeah, there HAS to be a better way to care for our sick and elderly. No argument there.
    There are many, many problems embedded in the American healthcare system, but one of the biggest is the profit margin insurance industry. They are in a no-win situation because by denying coverage they become both A) less expensive and B) less popular.

I would recommend this week's episode of The Weeds.

https://www.vox.com/the-weeds

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    There are many, many problems embedded in the American healthcare system, but one of the biggest is the profit margin insurance industry. They are in a no-win situation because by denying coverage they become both A) less expensive and B) less popular.

I would recommend this week's episode of The Weeds.

https://www.vox.com/the-weeds
    I don't know anything about this podcast - is left leaning, right leaning, or balanced?

In other words, if it's something completely slanted, I probably won't bother. If it's more centered, I'll give it a shot.

I don't know anything about this podcast - is left leaning, right leaning, or balanced?

In other words, if it's something completely slanted, I probably won't bother. If it's more centered, I'll give it a shot.
    It's fairly balanced IMO. I know Ezra Klein is a liberal, but he has his own podcast feed for his take on things. This is called the Weeds as in it gets into the weeds of policy. However, I won't lie - they hate Trump. I learn more listening to this podcast for an hour than I do reading 15 news stories from all different outlets.

It's fairly balanced IMO. I know Ezra Klein is a liberal, but he has his own podcast feed for his take on things. This is called the Weeds as in it gets into the weeds of policy. However, I won't lie - they hate Trump. I learn more listening to this podcast for an hour than I do reading 15 news stories from all different outlets.
    Balanced is in the eye of the beholder (or listener). People tend to see their own pov as balanced and unbiased especially when it comes to hot button topics like politics and religion. And baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Balanced is in the eye of the beholder (or listener). People tend to see their own pov as balanced and unbiased especially when it comes to hot button topics like politics and religion. And baseball.
    Yeah Vox is politically left leaning (or more accurately anti-Trumpism leaning) but it's not a hack site like Buzzfeed or Huff Post or Fox or Brietbart. Their stories are well researched and well written and I genuinely learn a lot from them.

Again, from my perspective.

Yeah Vox is politically left leaning (or more accurately anti-Trumpism leaning) but it's not a hack site like Buzzfeed or Huff Post or Fox or Brietbart. Their stories are well researched and well written and I genuinely learn a lot from them.

That's a good enough description for me to give it a shot.

Thank you.

I don't see them as hacks by any stretch of the imagination. I like them a lot. But I also don't decide what I want to read based on them being right, left or center. I want thoughtful, well researched journalism that comes from all points of view.

I don't see them as hacks by any stretch of the imagination. I like them a lot. But I also don't decide what I want to read based on them being right, left or center. I want thoughtful, well researched journalism that comes from all points of view.
    Me too. My love of hearing from many points of view is why I hang out in the political threads here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Me too. My love of hearing from many points of view is why I hang out in the political threads here.
    Oh dear. You have confused thoughtful, well-researched journalism with yahoos posting on a tiny baseball message board. That explains so much.

Oh dear. You have confused thoughtful, well-researched journalism with yahoos posting on a tiny baseball message board. That explains so much.
    Except I didn't say anything about posters here being journalists. I said I liked hearing different points of view.

You're misinterpreting something I said-- either purposely or in error-- and playing 'gotcha.' With the added bonus of a condescending tone with your 'oh dear' and sad smiley.

There's no need for that

Thread Information