+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 65 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthcare

Re: Healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    it died because private physicians opposed it, just like any efforts to seriously address medical inflation would be opposed by the same group of interests.

the VA system was attacked a few years back for similar reasons, because a system of publicly run hospitals, as in, building a lot more of them, is really required to make 'single payer' (as people imagine it) work in the u.s.

truman and for that matter, FDR's vision of national healthcare system built upon the expanded footprint of veteran healthcare after WW2.
    I've been reading up on this today. Amazing. 72 years later.

“Millions of our citizens do not now have a full measure of opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health. Millions do not now have protection or security against the economic effects of sickness. The time has arrived for action to help them attain that opportunity and that protection.” - Harry Truman

You know you're DOA when the rightest of right wing sites apologizes to the Dems.

"We Must Apologize To The Democratic Party" (from redstate.com)

Ever since the passage of the Affordable Care Act, the Republican Party has campaigned on, championed, raised money over the cause of repealing it. “You need to give us the House of Representatives,” they told us, “and we will fix this mess.” And so, in 2010, we gave them the House.

And they said they’d do it, and they tried, and then they told us “You need to give us the Senate, too, then we can really fix it.” So, we did give them the Senate in 2014.

And they passed repeal after repeal, which was promptly vetoed with no possibility of override. “You need to give us the White House,” they said. “That’ll make it a reality.” And, in 2016, the United States gave Donald Trump the White House, and kept the Republicans in power in Congress.

The whole time leading up to this point, however, the Democrats mocked and derided the Republicans. “You have no plan to replace it, to reform the system, to fix the mess” they cried. And, we ignored them, because we had ideas, you see, and we had people pushing those ideas.

So, months after Donald Trump takes office, the Republican leadership in the House presents a bill to the American public, and the response was nothing short of disastrous. You see, the Democrats were right all along. We, very clearly, had no plan.

http://www.redstate.com/joesquire/20...ocratic-party/
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Dems pulling out all the big guns.

Joe Biden is coming out of retirement to fight the GOP health bill

Source: Vox

Updated by Tara Golshan Mar 20, 2017, 1:40pm EDT

Former Vice President Joe Biden will be back in Washington, DC, this week to protest the Republican plan to replace Obamacare — just one day before the House is scheduled to vote on the health bill.

Biden will be joining House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi on the steps of the Capitol Building Wednesday to speak out against the GOP health bill that, thus far, is estimated to cover millions fewer people. The rally will feature Americans who have benefited from the Affordable Care Act, Politico reported.

The House is gearing up to vote on the American Health Care Act on Thursday — the seven-year anniversary of Obamacare being signed into law. On Wednesday, the bill will be marked up by the House Rules Committee, where House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) is expected to submit a manager’s amendment — a package of changes in order to make the health bill passable on the House floor. What those changes will look like specifically is still under wraps, but over the weekend Ryan indicated that the bill needs to do more for seniors.

As is, Ryan has acknowledged that the health bill cannot pass the House. Last week the bill received a devastating score from the Congressional Budget Office, which estimated 24 million people would likely lose insurance because of the replacement plan. Among those most impacted would be older and sicker Americans.

http://www.vox.com/policy-and-politi...h-bill-protest
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

http://www.vox.com/2017/3/22/1501297...th-reform-lies

9 health reform lies Congress members are telling their constituents
    We fact-checked lawmakers’ letters on health care. They were full of untruths and misinformation.
    In the race to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle have been guilty of spreading erroneous statements, exaggerating the truth, and skimping on context.

That’s the takeaway from a review by ProPublica and its partners at Kaiser Health News, Stat, and Vox of more than 200 letters that members of Congress sent out to their constituents in response to the public’s questions and concerns about the Affordable Care Act, and its proposed replacement, the GOP’s American Health Care Act.

We reviewed the emails and letters sent by 51 senators and 134 members of the House within the past few months. More Republicans fudged than Democrats, though both had their moments. The legislators cited wrong statistics, conflated health care terms, and made statements that don’t stand up to verification.
    (Another) really good read by Ezra Klein and Vox.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    Single payer. I pay $185/month for my insurance through work (they pay most of the premium) and I'd gladly pay more to have single payer healthcare. As it is now, my $185/month won't do crap if I go to the hospital tomorrow, because I'll have to magically come up with $2000 before it kicks in.

The last time I was in the hospital, I was taken in an ambulance and stayed overnight after I passed out at home due to low blood sugar. I was working 40+ hours a week, but my employer didn't offer insurance and my income was just low enough to qualify for Medicaid. The only thing I paid for was $15 to watch TV while I was there - if I had my current insurance, or was worse yet uninsured, I'd be in debt. No one should go broke because they had low blood sugar one day.
    off the top of my head, i would pay around £200 to £400 (in taxes) per year for the NHS back home. i had the choice of around a dozen primary care providers and could chose from around the same number of hospitals should i need surgery. if i wanted to receive treatment at a hospital outside of my area, i could but the travel cost would be down to myself should i need an ambulance. living in wales, not england, my prescriptions were were part of my taxes.

beyond that, i have more paperwork for my US medical stuff in the four years i have lived in the US than the paperwork for my 33 years in the UK.

last time i looked, prior to ACA, 60% of US bankruptcies were due to health care costs. in the EU, that number is 0.

- - -

no developed nation in the world would chose the US version of healthcare because it's the crappiest model you could have. the ACA improved on it and despite the headlines many will see, it's been pretty good. the proposal from this GOP group manages to make this US system worse.

fair play congress, managing to make things crappier again and again.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

NYYF Legend

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/retir...hjh?li=BBnb7Kz

Seniors, especially early retirees to expected to be hit hardest under Republican proposals.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

A deal with the Freedom Caucus didn't happen so after seven years to be ready like Luke the right has failed to pass a bill to replace the ACA.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

No vote tonight kids!

NYYF Legend

The whole repeal the ACA fiasco. No one can agree, everyone is fighting and the Dems are just sitting on the sideline watching.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Legend

So the compromised bill they tried to agree on still would take coverage away from 24 million Americans and would still cost more. Rocket scientists at work here. Seven years they had to be ready.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    The whole repeal the ACA fiasco. No one can agree, everyone is fighting and the Dems are just sitting on the sideline watching.
    I think the Dems are playing it perfectly.

It's almost comical if it weren't true. 45* hauls these congress people in to these meetings and threatens them that "he'll come after them, they won't get re-elected, yadayada." There's more "NO" votes coming out then when they went in.

That's the art of the deal for ya................

I just got an email from my county Democratic party that McSally, my rep, was the only one in AZ planning to vote for the bill. I've called, emailed, and even had faxes sent to her. Never mind that it would strip healthcare from over 40k of her constituents, and hike prices for seniors. She's the worst. We had Dem reps here up until a few years ago. UGH.

I'm just so glad there's no vote today, but I'm sure they'll be back with something worse.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I just got an email from my county Democratic party that McSally, my rep, was the only one in AZ planning to vote for the bill. I've called, emailed, and even had faxes sent to her. Never mind that it would strip healthcare from over 40k of her constituents, and hike prices for seniors. She's the worst. We had Dem reps here up until a few years ago. UGH.

I'm just so glad there's no vote today, but I'm sure they'll be back with something worse.
    Which is why I stood pat on the first proposal. Not that I thought it was a healthcare bill or good but I knew anything that followed would be far worse.

NYYF Legend

Trump just said if no deal is reached tomorrow then Obamacare will stay in place. After those town hall meetings makes me wonder if this wasn't the plan all along.

Trump just said if no deal is reached tomorrow then Obamacare will stay in place. After those town hall meetings makes me wonder if this wasn't the plan all along.
    Nope. This wasn't the plan all along. He's just this bad at his job.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Well he just learned last week that healthcare is complicated.

My guess is he realizes how badly this will hurt his supporters and maybe he sees the writing on the wall. Paul Ryan wants to get his sweet sweet tax cuts passed ASAP before Trump is indicted and/or impeached so switching to tax reform and leaving ACA in place is in their best interest.

This bill is way more unpopular than Obamacare was when it passed. The longer it takes to pass, the less popular it will get too.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Nope. This wasn't the plan all along. He's just this bad at his job.
    Well I didn't say it was Trump's idea.

NYYF Legend

Over six years Congress voted to repeal ACA 62 Times and succeeded last year. They control Washington now after seven years of trying and fail. Hysterical.

Over six years Congress voted to repeal ACA 62 Times and succeeded last year. They control Washington now after seven years of trying and fail. Hysterical.
    Like TheDurk always says - they've finally caught up to the car.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Like TheDurk always says - they've finally caught up to the car.
    Colbert copied my thought:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/colbert-t...chasing-a-car/

“It’s like a dog who spent his whole life chasing a car, now he has to drive the car,” he quipped. “We’re not happy about it either, by the way. Remember, we’re in the back seat of a car being driven by a dog now.”
    I have to tip my hat for that last line of his.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    A friend of mine said the same thing to me before I heard you say it here but I'll still give you nyyfans forum credit for it. I'm sure he probably heard it somewhere else, too.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    A friend of mine said the same thing to me before I heard you say it here but I'll still give you nyyfans forum credit for it. I'm sure he probably heard it somewhere else, too.
    How do you know your friend didn't get it from me?

Meanwhile, my former Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen joined my current Rep. Leonard Lance in publicly opposing the bill. (My town and its 26,000 Republicans got moved from one district to the other for 2012). RF is Chair of the Appropriations Committee (and a good guy, for a Republican). That's a big blow for Ryan/Trump.

I'm pleased to see the NJ Republican moderates standing up to Trump. Four of the five NJ R MCs are in the firm NO column, which is more Republican NOs than any other state. Heh. All five are moderates, no NJ hardliners.

Lance has not responded to my e-mail, other than the Robo thank you blah blah.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Colbert copied my thought:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/colbert-t...chasing-a-car/

I have to tip my hat for that last line of his.
    I think my dog could drive that metaphorical car better than Donald Trump.

Thread Information