+ Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20 60 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1789

Thread: Healthcare

Re: Healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post

Interesting though, Trump was for single payer before he got into politics. I've seen him mention it on a couple occasions.
    He's not anymore. I'm sure that Ryan and McConnell told him that he's not supposed to be.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Interesting though, Trump was for single payer before he got into politics. I've seen him mention it on a couple occasions.
    He was also for paying off the national debt in 1998 with a one time "wealth tax"

I'm sure he's talked to someone about that since then that's changed his mind.

Honestly I'm not sure had positions on anything other than "what do I think people will like today that will help Donald J. Trump in the long run".
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Honestly I'm not sure had positions on anything other than "what do I think people will like today that will help Donald J. Trump in the long run".
    There are over 32,000 posts in the Trump thread. I'm not sure any of them stated this observation so succinctly.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    He was also for paying off the national debt in 1998 with a one time "wealth tax"

I'm sure he's talked to someone about that since then that's changed his mind.

He also campaigned on saying he would make the hedge fund people and folks like himself to pay more. He did the opposite.
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

Nice is different than good. Texsahara's Avatar

HIV/AIDS taught us how to beat the opioid epidemic

The United States is not the only nation wrestling with opioid addiction. It is, however, one of the few nations unwilling to do much about it, even though the word “opioid” is spread across newspaper headlines daily, and Americans are dying of overdose in droves.
    In western Europe, which is no stranger to heroin, people view opioid addiction the way most Americans now look at AIDS — as a medical problem that requires chronic medical care using medication, public funding for treatment and compassionate support. In the U.S., however, leaders and policy makers for constituencies most drastically affected by opioids are slow to make the same leap.
    AIDS was at first highly stigmatized. Yet a massive public health response that included the training of health care providers, subsidies for treatment, grassroots mobilizing to ensure that treatment was accessible and free, public-facing campaigns against stigma and misinformation, and the creation of a separate office of research within the National Institutes of Health all worked together to accelerate the development of a new treatment.

As a result of these efforts, AIDS was largely destigmatized and allowed to be treated alongside any other medical disorder.

Riding on the heels of the HIV/AIDS epidemic was the overprescribing of opioid painkillers, which helped to spearhead today’s ongoing crisis. Now, more than 20 years into the opioid epidemic, the number of Americans who die from opioid overdose every year is close to 50,000, neck and neck with the height of the AIDS epidemic.

Opioid addiction has high mortality rates because of the high risk of an overdose with each episode of use and the risk of developing serious medical and psychiatric problems, injuries and social issues. The rate of mortality in opioid addiction is six to seven times higher than in the general population, with death occurring in many users at a young age.

The kicker is that we have medication effective in treating opioid use disorder (OUD) and have had it for decades. The FDA approved methadone in 1972, buprenorphine in 2002 and extended-release naltrexone in 2010. Yet 80-90 percent of the 2.5 million Americans with OUD either do not know about the medication options, do not have proper access to them or do not know that they are their best chance at recovering from OUD.
    If even 20 or 30 percent of health care providers were trained, supported and incentivized to treat people with OUD, our already well-established health care system could begin to help many more people and save lives — and money, as treatment with medication is far less expensive than the estimated $60,000 we pay per year, per person for those who continue to use. The French did it. So did the Australians. The United States can do it too.

Keeping effective medication away from people who need it is unethical. Declaring the epidemic a public health emergency and then stopping short of reforming the health care system is no better.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Only in America

https://www.vox.com/health-care/2018...atric-patients

Last October, Bradley Sroka took his 1-year-old daughter, Margot, to the local emergency room. The little girl had managed to tie a piece of her own blonde hair around her toe, causing it to swell and turn purple.

The hair had left a clean circular cut around Margot’s toe, which spurted blood each time her parents tried to inspect it.

“We had no idea how deep the cut was, whether we could just wrap a Band-Aid around it,” Sroka says. “It was like nothing we’d ever encountered.”

Margot turned out to be fine — a physician assistant inspected her toe, made sure the hair was gone, and applied an antibacterial ointment.

A month later, the Sroka family got the bill: $937.25 for the 29-minute visit. They are responsible for the entire bill, which was within their deductible.
    The Srokas’ bill is among many that fit a pattern: Worried parents took their children to the emergency room because their pediatrician’s office was closed, often on the weekends or at night. Some tried to go to urgent or immediate care facilities but were turned away because those offices often do not provide pediatric care.

When these little patients were treated in the ER, even for relatively basic medical care, their parents then received a big bill. Even families with insurance submitted bills that left them on the hook for hundreds or thousands of dollars, a burden for most typical American households, and doubly frustrating because the treatments weren’t complex.

These cases fit what experts describe as one of the defining features of the American health care system: exceptionally high prices for routine medical services that would typically cost much less in peer countries like Canada or France.
    In January, Jessica Smart took her 7-year-old son, Kylan, to the emergency room for a severe ear infection. “I usually try to avoid the ER as much as possible,” Smart, 34 and a mother of four, says. “We went because there was blood in his ear and that is not normal.”

Smart estimates that they spent about 10 minutes with a doctor, who checked Kylan’s ears and gave him some ear drops as well as an oral antibiotic. The fees for those two generic drugs came to $1,075, a hospital representative told Smart — which was the bulk of the $1,375 bill. The Smarts are responsible for the entire payment, which falls within their health insurance deductible.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...00-alternative

Look at us, the "best" country in the world, once again paying the most of anyone in the world and we let drug companies do this because our politicians are bought and paid for.

An affordable hepatitis C treatment has been shown to be safe and effective, with very high cure rates for patients including hard-to-treat cases, in interim clinical trial results that offer hope to the 71 million people living with the disease worldwide.

The treatment is expected to cost $300 for 12 weeks, or $3.50 per day, in Malaysia, where trials were conducted along with Thailand – a fraction of the cost of other hepatitis C medicines produced by major drugmakers, which often run to tens of thousands of dollars.

Harvoni now costs about $48,000 for a 12-week course in Malaysia and $12,000 in Chile. Gilead’s previous Sovaldi treatment cost $1,000 a pill, or $84,000 over 12 weeks. Prices vary around the world and tend to be highest in the US.

Gilead has come under pressure from US rival AbbVie, which launched a new hepatitis C medicine, Mavyret, last year with a shorter, eight-week treatment course priced at $26,400.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

in the last six months, around once a week (or maybe once every two weeks) i get an email about someone in the district (teacher, admin, student, parent) who is raising money for someone's health care.

not once did this occur in my decade plus teaching in the UK.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    in the last six months, around once a week (or maybe once every two weeks) i get an email about someone in the district (teacher, admin, student, parent) who is raising money for someone's health care.

not once did this occur in my decade plus teaching in the UK.
    Yeah, it's sad. And pathetic.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Yeah, it's sad. And pathetic.
    You’re...oh, never mind. Too easy.

NYYF Legend

We had our benefits meeting at work yesterday...in order to keep our premiums the same, our deductible is going up by 20%, our out of pocket maximum is going up by about the same, and our co-insurance is going up by 50%. Co-pays stay the same, and now we can visit a walk in clinic for $125 (whereas before it was completely not covered).

On the bright side, as of May 1 they're introducing an employer-paid life insurance policy for all employees so that when I die because I couldn't afford to go to the hospital, my funeral will be paid for.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    We had our benefits meeting at work yesterday...in order to keep our premiums the same, our deductible is going up by 20%, our out of pocket maximum is going up by about the same, and our co-insurance is going up by 50%. Co-pays stay the same, and now we can visit a walk in clinic for $125 (whereas before it was completely not covered).

On the bright side, as of May 1 they're introducing an employer-paid life insurance policy for all employees so that when I die because I couldn't afford to go to the hospital, my funeral will be paid for.
    That sucks. We went through something similar last year where I work. Are they at least offering HSAs?

Reject Fascism

For me the deducted increase annually is not the issue, it is the maximum out of pocket. Last year it was $3,900, this year $4,400 AND we got a big premium increase. While my employer (one of the major insurers) pocketed a nice Trump tax cut and laid hundreds off. Oh the good workers got a 2 percent raise. Keep voting GOP suckers.

both of you - that sucks.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    For me the deducted increase annually is not the issue, it is the maximum out of pocket. Last year it was $3,900, this year $4,400 AND we got a big premium increase. While my employer (one of the major insurers) pocketed a nice Trump tax cut and laid hundreds off. Oh the good workers got a 2 percent raise. Keep voting GOP suckers.
    My deductible is now $3,000 and out of pocket is $7,300. This isn't choosing a lesser plan, it's the only plan available.

Reject Fascism

My deductible is now $3,000 and out of pocket is $7,300. This isn't choosing a lesser plan, it's the only plan available.
    That is sick. Amd please don’t get sick. We have plans close to that but with my situation I had to choose the best option.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    That is sick. Amd please don’t get sick. We have plans close to that but with my situation I had to choose the best option.
    My previous employer had a low and high option and I went with the low. The premium was about $30 more a month but it was much better insurance. Unfortunately my current employer only has about 50 employees so their options are limited. It's insane that your health care, and possibly ability to live, is dependent on your employer's size.

My previous employer had a low and high option and I went with the low. The premium was about $30 more a month but it was much better insurance. Unfortunately my current employer only has about 50 employees so their options are limited. It's insane that your health care, and possibly ability to live, is dependent on your employer's size.
    it's nuts.

Think of how bad it would have been if the Democrats hadn't made it affordable for us back in 2010.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Think of how bad it would have been if the Democrats hadn't made it affordable for us back in 2010.
    I tend to think more about how much better off we would be if the Republicans had helped improve it instead of obstructed it every step of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You’re...oh, never mind. Too easy.
    Your mom is too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I tend to think more about how much better off we would be if the Republicans had helped improve it instead of obstructed it every step of the way.

Actually I think of how much better it would be if we had single payer health-care.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    indeed.

Reject Fascism

Yeah it would cost MORE.

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Your mom is too easy.

Actually I think of how much better it would be if we had single payer health-care.
    Can’t do that, the constituents of the Republicans (Wall Street) would never go for it.

NYYF Legend

I know right. We be screwed even worse.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Thread Information