+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19 59 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,725 of 1797

Thread: Healthcare

Re: Healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    The Dems came quite close to getting a public option.

Given the whole that lay before them, that would have been a better step forward.
    My kids are all on my health insurance until they hit 26. That in itself is a godsend.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Clap clap, clap-clap-clap ArodEra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    The Dems came quite close to getting a public option.

Given the whole that lay before them, that would have been a better step forward.
    What's unfortunate is that Obama had total control of the Senate and the House when Obamacare was rushed and passed and they still couldn't get it (public option) done. In fact, the likes of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer said that they wouldn't accept any proposal without a public option but obviously they caved.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    My kids are all on my health insurance until they hit 26. That in itself is a godsend.
    Why? With the ACA they will be able to get their own.

In fact, they will be forced to.

Keeping kids on parent's insurance.
    Pre-existing conditions.
    Medicaid expansion, before it was killed.
    Exchanges, even now, despite the best efforts of states and Republicans to kill them.
    Pre-existing conditions.

Maynerd, insurance was always an important goal. Are you really using the name of a bill to define its goals precisely and the xclusively? Itís called Protection and Affordability. Well, insurance is protection. Does insurance itself make health care more affordable or accessible? Not necessarily - but not having insurance sure as hell makes it unaffordable and inaccessible. People without it didnít have health care. Now they do. Mi,e mentioned the increase in doctor's visits, and immediately attributed It to unnecessary visits, but he also mentioned tue decrease in hospital costs, which he attributed to people getting earlier care. Arenít those two things maybe connected, like people are making more *necessary* visits to the doctors and fewer *unnecessary* hospital visits? Because basic health care is more affordable and accessible?

No, it didnít work out that way for everyone. But overall, I think the law has been a smashing success. Look what happened when they tried to take it away from people.

Nice is different than good. Texsahara's Avatar

Once the bill passed, if the GOP had accepted it as the law of the land and worked to improve it instead of spending every waking minute chipping away at it and trying to destroy it, we would be in much better shape right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Keeping kids on parent's insurance.
    Pre-existing conditions.
    Medicaid expansion, before it was killed.
    Exchanges, even now, despite the best efforts of states and Republicans to kill them.
    Pre-existing conditions.

Maynerd, insurance was always an important goal. Are you really using the name of a bill to define its goals precisely and the xclusively? Itís called Protection and Affordability. Well, insurance is protection. Does insurance itself make health care more affordable or accessible? Not necessarily - but not having insurance sure as hell makes it unaffordable and inaccessible. People without it didnít have health care. Now they do. Mi,e mentioned the increase in doctor's visits, and immediately attributed It to unnecessary visits, but he also mentioned tue decrease in hospital costs, which he attributed to people getting earlier care. Arenít those two things maybe connected, like people are making more *necessary* visits to the doctors and fewer *unnecessary* hospital visits? Because basic health care is more affordable and accessible?

No, it didnít work out that way for everyone. But overall, I think the law has been a smashing success. Look what happened when they tried to take it away from people.
    I attributed lower hospital costs to everyone being forced to carry insurance. The insurance companies take the money paid in premiums and deductibles and pay the hospitals. Yay.

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to get excited about hospitals' profit margins, btw. We still pay more in public money than countries with universal health care.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Once the bill passed, if the GOP had accepted it as the law of the land and worked to improve it instead of spending every waking minute chipping away at it and trying to destroy it, we would be in much better shape right now.
    I'd like to believe that the democrats are fighting the good fight, but the California situation last year just goes to show that they will paint republicans as the reason they can't get it done, then when that obstacle is removed they will not do anything about it themselves.

They are all beholden.

Edit: Here's the post I made about the California situation when it happened: http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8327284

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'd like to believe that the democrats are fighting the good fight, but the California situation last year just goes to show that they will paint republicans as the reason they can't get it done, then when that obstacle is removed they will not do anything about it themselves.

They are all beholden.
    Of course. The object of the game in 21st Century politics isn't to do what's right for the citizens; it's to paint the other party in a poor light.

The Party is more important than the People. And that doesn't make any difference whether you're talking about the Democrats or the Republicans.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

^this, a million times
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

I attributed lower hospital costs to everyone being forced to carry insurance. The insurance companies take the money paid in premiums and deductibles and pay the hospitals. Yay.

I'm not sure why I'm supposed to get excited about hospitals' profit margins, btw. We still pay more in public money than countries with universal health care.
    And that's the crux of the matter right there. If the Republican and Democratic parties weren't both beholden to big Pharma, big Healthcare, and big Insurance then maybe we could change this.

Until then I'm all for improving the system as best as it can be done.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Reject Fascism

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...226-story.html

Because of the change to the ACA when the tax cut bill was passed, it will now cost $89 billion more to insure 8.9 million LESS people. Brilliant Repubs!
    2018: the year the USA put children in cages

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post

Because of the change to the ACA when the tax cut bill was passed, it will now cost $89 billion more to insure 8.9 million LESS people. Brilliant Repubs!
    the fiscally responsible party.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

You have to work really hard to write a law that does something like this.

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    You have to work really hard to write a law that does something like this.
    Sacrifices must be made for Wall Street.

I loathe these people.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

I don't see where in the article it says 89 billion.
    Hideki Matsui is capable of anything

Reject Fascism

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I loathe these people.
    Loathsome people indeed.

Reject Fascism

I loathe these people.
    Now they are working on a bill to allow junk policies to be sold which will further drive premiums and costs up by even larger margins, especially for the sick and elderly. This is what ďfreedomĒ means to the right. Sick.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I don't see where in the article it says 89 billion.
    I saw an article that said $33B more to cover millions fewer people.

Those fiscal geniuses in the White House and Republican-controlled Congress have managed to do the impossible: Their sabotage of the Affordable Care Act will lead to 6.4 million fewer Americans with health insurance, while the federal bill for coverage rises by some $33 billion per year.
    "A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people."
    -- Declaration of Independence

I saw an article that said $33B more to cover millions fewer people.

Thank you - yes, that's # I saw in the article YP posted.

Interesting that people quoted and agreed with it without noticing. Feels like nobody is reading the articles if they align with their positions.

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    Thank you - yes, that's # I saw in the article YP posted.

Interesting that people quoted and agreed with it without noticing. Feels like nobody is reading the articles if they align with their positions.
    I just figured he made a typo and moved on. Doesn't really change the point.

Reject Fascism

I just figured he made a typo and moved on. Doesn't really change the point.
    Exactly. If the cost was the same the point is unchanged which is why I skipped the debate in semantics.

Exactly. If the cost was the same the point is unchanged which is why I skipped the debate in semantics.
    It wasn't a semantics debate though. I figured you mis-typed (although a 56 billion dollar gap is hardly semantics). The point was more towards those quoting it.

Seems like those "losing" coverage are made mostly of those who are choosing to forego coverage since the mandate is gone. But yes, the math does look screwy here on this.

Interesting though, Trump was for single payer before he got into politics. I've seen him mention it on a couple occasions.

Amazing how trivial the facts become around here sometimes.

I wonder why that is.

Amazing how trivial the facts become around here sometimes.

I wonder why that is.
    it will now cost $89 billion more to insure 8.9 million LESS people
    You think that was something other than just a mistake? Typing 89 then 8.9 instead of 33 then 8.9? Seem obvious to me. Whatever though.

Thread Information