+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 11 51 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 1778

Thread: Healthcare

Re: Healthcare

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Marsh View Post
    I'd suggest that you read more comprehensive analyses than the that NY Times articles. The increases in "many ACA market places" is an exaggeration because these are typically in small, rural markets. While the markets are many, the number of people affected are a. Small percent of the total.

The costs to employers may be going up at 3% on average, but there are many going up at a much higher rate than that midpoint. I know that from the personal experience of sitting on a board that has had to deal with substantially higher annual increases than that. It's interesting that the article compares the vague "many ACA market places" with a hard "3% average" number. Apples and oranges. In addition the costs to employers may be averaging 3%, but the costs to employees are increasing with higher employee contributions, higher deductibles, and alternate plans with less coverage and/or greater employee risk.

That quite is a very simplistic representation of what's going on.
    The New York Times article was referring to a more extensive analysis by Kaiser.

Also, it doesn't say that the average cost to employers rose 3%, it says that the cost of the average premium rose 3%. It also makes the point, of course, that that number isn't the same for all companier. Also, no, they don't just compare "many ACA places," they compare "the average cost of a benchmark plan" on the exchanges.

Maybe you should have read the article rather than just the quote.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Why not?

Did anyone see Trump happening? Did anyone see the acceptance of gay marriage happening? Did anyone anticipate that Americans would not only stop smoking but would even establish no-smoking zones all over the place?

All kinds of changes have happened seemingly overnight. It really is possible.
    Sure, it's possible. It would just require an enormous shift in the prevailing political landscape and overcome the violent opposition of a variety of powerful stakeholders in the current system that might accept single-payer but not nationalization. The Red State block can be expected to oppose this for quite some time. I will be very surprised if this is accomplished in my lifetime, but I'm not that young.

A lot of us saw gay rights progress coming, although the great step forward took only a Supreme Court decision to go nationwide. That won't work for healthcare. Smoking was a gradual process going back to the 60s. Warning labels were first required in 1966. Trump was certainly a shock to most, but it is, in my opinion, a temporary aberration and the pendulum will swing back in four years. How far? I don't know, and the importance of competence on the side of the Democrats may limit the extent. Nationalized health care is a huge institutional change that will last for decades, if not forever.

I stand by my position.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

“You know, I could maybe give you 10 reasons why this bill shouldn’t be considered,” Grassley told Iowa reporters on a call, according to the Des Moines Register. “But Republicans campaigns on this so often that you have a responsibility to carry out what you said in the campaign.”

That’s pretty much as much of a reason as the substance of the bill,” he added.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...6d8d2a22a1a049

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    This thinking and the Koch Brothers cutting off funds until the ACA is gone is why I am afraid this may pass.
    you are your own happiness

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    The New York Times article was referring to a more extensive analysis by Kaiser.

Also, it doesn't say that the average cost to employers rose 3%, it says that the cost of the average premium rose 3%. It also makes the point, of course, that that number isn't the same for all companier. Also, no, they don't just compare "many ACA places," they compare "the average cost of a benchmark plan" on the exchanges.

Maybe you should have read the article rather than just the quote.
    Fair criticism. Maybe I should have. I'll do so when I have more time.

I will say that addressing the rise in the cost of the average premium without saying what the average premium provides today vs what it did in the past would be an incomplete picture. Of course I'm subject to the same criticism for not having read the full article, so maybe you can address that point.

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Sure, it's possible. It would just require an enormous shift in the prevailing political landscape and overcome the violent opposition of a variety of powerful stakeholders in the current system that might accept single-payer but not nationalization. The Red State block can be expected to oppose this for quite some time. I will be very surprised if this is accomplished in my lifetime, but I'm not that young.

A lot of us saw gay rights progress coming, although the great step forward took only a Supreme Court decision to go nationwide. That won't work for healthcare. Smoking was a gradual process going back to the 60s. Warning labels were first required in 1966. Trump was certainly a shock to most, but it is, in my opinion, a temporary aberration and the pendulum will swing back in four years. How far? I don't know, and the importance of competence on the side of the Democrats may limit the extent. Nationalized health care is a huge institutional change that will last for decades, if not forever.

I stand by my position.
    I respect your position. Thanks for elaborating and for responding in a way that keeps the conversation going. Much appreciated.

NYYF Legend

This is chilling:

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...amacare-repeal

A new study from the AARP finds that older people could pay as much as $16,174 more per year for health coverage under the Republican bill to repeal ObamaCare sponsored by Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Bill Cassidy (R-La.).

The bill “threatens to make health care unaffordable and inaccessible for millions of older Americans,” AARP, which opposes the measure, writes in the report.

The study finds that on average nationwide, a 60-year-old making $25,000 per year would have to pay as much as $16,174 more per year for health insurance. That is a result of the possible elimination of two kinds of ObamaCare subsidies, which help people afford their premiums and out of pocket costs.
    The bill gives states wide leeway on how they spend a new block grant under the bill, so it is possible that some states could keep some of this subsidy funding, which would lessen the increase in costs.

The study singles out certain states as having even higher potential cost increases than the national average. In particular AARP points to Alaska, home to Sen. Lisa Murkowski, a key vote, and Arizona, home to Sen. John McCain, another crucial vote.

A 60-year-old making $25,000 per year in Alaska would have to pay as much as $31,790 more per year, and in Arizona, the person would have to pay $22,074 more, according to the AARP study.

“This increase is simply unaffordable,” the study says.[My bolding added]
    I hope certain Senators are paying attention. I am very glad I got my Medicare card in the mail last week. Only one more regular health premium to go!
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

I hope certain Senators are paying attention. I am very glad I got my Medicare card in the mail last week. Only one more regular health premium to go!
    I hope so too, but like Rick I have a bad feeling about this one. Evidently they're basically looking to exempt Alaska from a lot of the bill to try to get Murkowski's vote. The fact that it's close is scary enough as it is. Plenty has been said about it, but I don't think it can be overstated how insane this process has been.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

I will say that addressing the rise in the cost of the average premium without saying what the average premium provides today vs what it did in the past would be an incomplete picture.
    That's a very good point. I'm lucky enough to have an employer-based plan that still provides great coverage - $20 copay covers just about anything except, of course, dental - but there's no question that other plans have cut way back and required bigger copays. My question would be whether the benefits have continued to contract over the last five years, or whether they've stabilized as the costs have.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I hope so too, but like Rick I have a bad feeling about this one. Evidently they're basically looking to exempt Alaska from a lot of the bill to try to get Murkowski's vote. The fact that it's close is scary enough as it is. Plenty has been said about it, but I don't think it can be overstated how insane this process has been.
    Alaska's governor came out strongly against it. Murkowski is pretty much immune to pressure, I'm pretty sure she'll vote no.
    - Barry Manilow

Life is good

Alaska's governor came out strongly against it. Murkowski is pretty much immune to pressure, I'm pretty sure she'll vote no.
    I can’t find confirmation but one article said Collins is voting no. McCain who knows

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    I can’t find confirmation but one article said Collins is voting no. McCain who knows
    I just ultimately can't see McCain coming through again when his friend's name is atop the bill, though I sincerely hope I'm wrong obviously. Even if he voted no, it would probably be based on it once again not going through regular order, which would be good enough, but I wish some of these people would consider voting no because it's terrible policy. People like Heller who might otherwise be possible nos are co-sponsors. I don't trust Paul at all to stick to his no if it's the difference.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

I'd be shocked if Paul was the vote that torpedoed this. But I'd be happy too.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/3...op-repeal-bill

CNN will host a town hall-style debate Monday night where senators will face off over the new ObamaCare repeal bill.

The network announced that Sens. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), opponents of the bill, will debate its co-sponsors, Sens. Bill Cassidy (R-La.) and Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.).

The prime-time event will be moderated by CNN anchor Jake Tapper and the network's chief political correspondent Dana Bash live from Washington, D.C.
    Go for the jugular, homies.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Oh that should be fun to watch.

Those of you in red states, it's probably worthwhile to call your Governor's office too and not just your Senators. If they're going to base their vote on whether their state's governor agrees with the bill, then you should absolutely hold your Governor accountable too.

The bipartisan Medicaid Directors from all 50 states just issued this negative statement about Graham-Cassidy.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/iva...e-with-father/

Ivanka Trump reveals battle with postpartum depression.

Under Graham-Cassidy, that will be a pre-existing condition barring you from getting health insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/iva...e-with-father/

Ivanka Trump reveals battle with postpartum depression.

Under Graham-Cassidy, that will be a pre-existing condition barring you from getting health insurance.
    Be honest. You can still get insurance if you have a pre-existing condition. You'll just have to have Ivanka's money to afford it.

This is chilling:

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...amacare-repeal

The bill gives states wide leeway on how they spend a new block grant under the bill, so it is possible that some states could keep some of this subsidy funding, which would lessen the increase in costs.
    I hate language like this.

First, it wouldn't lessen ANY costs; it would re-apportion them. Perhaps the increase in cost would be less from the perspective of the State Treasurer, but the overall cost to the taxpayer would be constant.

Second, I dislike any time the discussion becomes 'lessening the increase.' It gets interpreted by many as decreased costs, rather than the more-accurate increase of cost, but at a lower rate.

All that being said, the repeal of the ACA without a replacement mechanism to take its place is absurd. Mandatory medical insurance and the various insurance exchanges are an abject failure, but other provisions.....particularly protection for pre-existing conditions....MUST be left intact.

I've said it before, but this is a massive opportunity for the Republican Party to demonstrate governance, and to become a party of the populace. And, they're completely disinterested in grabbing the victory that's sitting right in front of them. It's maddening. They're painted as beholden to big business, and yet the current employer-provided health insurance model costs big business billions. You'd think it would be right in their wheelhouse to sever the link between employment and health insurance. Something. Anything. A market strategy, allowing better competition and interstate commerce. A government solution, moving toward singe payer, and actually addressing cost, rather than insurance. But the best they can come up with is a model that puts many people at risk, and protects few.

We have become a government of the party, by the party, and for the party.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Life is good

I swear I honestly think Trump would sign a bill declaring the vulture the national bird if it meant removing an Obama law

Life is good

McCain just announced AS OF NOW he is voting NO on Graham/Cassidy. So if they stand firm (nothing would surprise me) we have two no votes. So just need one more.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_59...ushpmg00000063

McCain just announced AS OF NOW he is voting NO on Graham/Cassidy. So if they stand firm (nothing would surprise me) we have two no votes. So just need one more.

The line on Fangraphs just took a steep dive south.
    Let the kids play.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    The line on Fangraphs just took a steep dive south.
    I am not celebrating yet, waiting on a tweet (with a side bribe) to change minds.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Oh that should be fun to watch.

Those of you in red states, it's probably worthwhile to call your Governor's office too and not just your Senators. If they're going to base their vote on whether their state's governor agrees with the bill, then you should absolutely hold your Governor accountable too.
    I sent a fax to Ducey yesterday. I told him that he had some nerve calling himself pro-life if he supports this bill. I've said similar things to both senators and my rep.

I hope he sticks with it. I also hope the other two GOP senators do what they did last time. Please.

Life is good

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I sent a fax to Ducey yesterday. I told him that he had some nerve calling himself pro-life if he supports this bill. I've said similar things to both senators and my rep.

I hope he sticks with it. I also hope the other two GOP senators do what they did last time. Please.
    Assuming Paul and McCain stay as no, all we need is one of the two.

Thread Information