+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthcare

Re: Healthcare

http://www.vox.com/2016/2/3/10899790...ayer-americare

In 2006, Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA) introduced the AmeriCare Health Care Act. And it provides a much more promising path the US could take to universal coverage. It wouldn't force employers or employees to abandon their plans overnight, and would cost a sizable but manageable amount every year. In many ways it's truer to Jacob Hacker's Health Care for America Plan, which inspired the Affordable Care Act, than the law itself is.

Trump might want to make tweaks around the edges. Maybe he'll rename AmeriCare to "TrumpCare." But if he wants universal coverage, this is how to do it.
    You can think of the AmeriCare approach as a public option on steroids. It would create a new single-payer program called AmeriCare that would take on everyone ensured by Medicaid and SCHIP, and would automatically enroll all children at birth. It would pay the same rates to providers as Medicare, meaning it'd be considerably less generous to doctors and hospitals than private insurers.

AmeriCare involves cost sharing very similar to what you'd find in a private plan, but more affordable. There are deductibles ($350 for individuals, $500 for families), co-insurance (20 percent of spending above the deductible), an out-of-pocket spending cap ($2,500 for individuals, $4,000 for families), and premiums.

However, cost sharing would be sharply limited for low-income families. Individuals and families living on less than twice the poverty line ($48,500 for a family of four in 2015) wouldn't have to pay premiums, deductibles, or co-insurance, and there would be premium subsidies and lower deductibles for people between two and three times the poverty line.

Here's the kicker: Employers could buy into the plan.
    The Lewin Group produced two cost estimates for AmeriCare, finding it would cost the federal government an additional $188.5 billion per year in 2010 and an additional $154.5 billion per year in 2007. Health care costs have grown since then; if you assume that the cost of AmeriCare would grow at the same rate that health spending as a whole is projected to grow from 2010 to 2017, you get a number more like $260 billion a year.

That would require nontrivial tax increases, but nothing like the huge hikes that Sanders anticipates; you could hike the Medicare payroll tax by a few points and raise estate and income taxes for the rich and easily cover it. Moreover, these estimates predate Obamacare, which further cut Medicare provider payments, expanded Medicaid in a way similar to AmeriCare's no-cost-sharing option for the poor, and added a bevy of new taxes. Once those are taken into account, the cost becomes even lower.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    How do you know your friend didn't get it from me?

Meanwhile, my former Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen joined my current Rep. Leonard Lance in publicly opposing the bill. (My town and its 26,000 Republicans got moved from one district to the other for 2012). RF is Chair of the Appropriations Committee (and a good guy, for a Republican). That's a big blow for Ryan/Trump.

I'm pleased to see the NJ Republican moderates standing up to Trump. Four of the five NJ R MCs are in the firm NO column, which is more Republican NOs than any other state. Heh. All five are moderates, no NJ hardliners.

Lance has not responded to my e-mail, other than the Robo thank you blah blah.
    I was happy to see my representative (Chris Smith) was a no. There's still no chance I'll vote for him next year, but it was nice to see.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

today was a good day for americans.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    today was a good day for americans.
    Good but not great. Problem being Trump will do anything he can to see to it that the ACA fails. He already sabotaged it by asking the IRS not to verify coverage effectively eliminating the mandate.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

a push for single payer at this time can be done well, but more attention must be paid towards the entirety of the cost problem rather than solely focusing on insurance.

getting rid of private insurance is itself an overall positive but what follows is a gigantic unknown because there's no buildinig up of hte conditions necessary for a decent public-private system of universal care on the supply side.

insurance represents about 20-30% overhead for healthcare cost, assuming the industry generates no value (not a safe assumption).
    always reasonable

Aaron Judge Career Homer #8
    http://m.mlb.com/video/v1294788283/s...-to-deep-right

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    a push for single payer at this time can be done well, but more attention must be paid towards the entirety of the cost problem rather than solely focusing on insurance.

getting rid of private insurance is itself an overall positive but what follows is a gigantic unknown because there's no buildinig up of hte conditions necessary for a decent public-private system of universal care on the supply side.

insurance represents about 20-30% overhead for healthcare cost, assuming the industry generates no value (not a safe assumption).
    Sounds like California might be giving single payer a shot. If they can make it work others will follow.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Good but not great. Problem being Trump will do anything he can to see to it that the ACA fails. He already sabotaged it by asking the IRS not to verify coverage effectively eliminating the mandate.
    well sure, "great" would actually having an actual modern healthcare system like the rest of the developed world but it was another step in the right direction.

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Ver...k-11027365.php

Members of Vermont's congressional delegation told hundreds of constituents at a rousing town hall meeting Saturday that the defeat of the Republican health plan was "a victory," with U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders telling the cheering crowd that he plans to introduce a "Medicare for all" bill soon.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Ver...k-11027365.php

Members of Vermont's congressional delegation told hundreds of constituents at a rousing town hall meeting Saturday that the defeat of the Republican health plan was "a victory," with U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders telling the cheering crowd that he plans to introduce a "Medicare for all" bill soon.
    Was he speaking extemporaneously? Why isn't the bill ready now, considering timing can be everything?
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

This is the way Obamacare is supposed to work.

More States To Expand Medicaid Now That Obamacare Remains Law

Source: Forbes

More states will pursue expansion of Medicaid health benefits for poor Americans under the Affordable Care Act after Republicans failed to repeal and replace the law.

The American Health Care Act, also known as Trumpcare, would’ve rolled back the ACA’s Medicaid expansion and put restrictions on states that tried to expand such coverage. But Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives Paul Ryan Friday pulled the ACHA legislation Friday, making, “Obamacare the law of the land” as he said.

At least two states – Kansas and North Carolina – are already working toward becoming the 32nd and 33rd states to expand Medicaid under the ACA. They would join 31 states plus the District of Columbia that have taken advantage of generous federal funding available under the law, President Obama’s signature legislative achievement, according to the Advisory Board.

And there may be even more states that will resurrect state legislative efforts to expand Medicaid. Before Trump was elected, Georgia, Idaho, Nebraska and South Dakota were considering Medicaid expansion . But Trump’s election, along with Republican control of Congress prompted these states to put on the breaks for Medicaid expansion when an ACA repeal looked likely. “The effort to expand Medicaid in Georgia just died,” the Atlanta Journal-Constitution said Nov. 9, 2016, the day after Trump won the electoral college.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceja.../#254b7d5419a6
    Loving some nothing burgers!!!

Bernie showing 45* how it's done!

BERNIE SANDERS TO SPONSOR SINGLE-PAYER HEALTHCARE BILL

Source: Newsweek

BY NICHOLAS LOFFREDO

Bernie Sanders is returning to a key campaign promise and will introduce a single-payer healthcare bill in the wake of the Republicans' Obamacare replacement defeat.

The Vermont senator said Sunday that he was willing to work with both Democrats and Republicans to provide "insurance for all," two days after the GOP leadership's American Health Care Act was pulled from the House floor to avoid a legislative defeat. Sanders' support for a single-payer system was a centerpiece of his unsuccessful run for the Democratic presidential nomination.

"Where we should be going is to join the rest of the industrialized world and guarantee healthcare to all people as a right," he said on CNN's "State of the Union."

Sanders' comments came a day after he told a crowd in Hardwick, Vermont, that Medicare-for-all is "a common sense proposal, and I think once the American people understand it, we can go forward with it,” according to Vermont Public Radio.

http://www.newsweek.com/bernie-sande...re-bill-574403

Love the idea. Will never happen.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

bernie should emphasize his support for the va system. fund it more, build a lot more hospitals. work on expanding doctor supply too

you need more supply, not just changing the layer of insurance.
    always reasonable

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    bernie should emphasize his support for the va system. fund it more, build a lot more hospitals. work on expanding doctor supply too

you need more supply, not just changing the layer of insurance.
    The VA system is broken and a total joke. Throwing money at it and building more hospitals isn't the answer. That whole system needs to completely be overhauled.

that's not true
    always reasonable

Problem with the VA is they are severely understaffed and with the wars we have been fighting for 16 years nonstop the inflow of patients rises and rises. Not a good combination.

Quote Originally Posted by PettittesPrincess View Post
    The VA system is broken and a total joke. Throwing money at it and building more hospitals isn't the answer. That whole system needs to completely be overhauled.
    You're sadly mistaken. Walk through Walter Reed and see how "broken" and what a "total joke" our VA facilities are. Problems are getting in to the VA in a timely manner. Once in the system the care is superb.

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    You're sadly mistaken. Walk through Walter Reed and see how "broken" and what a "total joke" our VA facilities are. Problems are getting in to the VA in a timely manner. Once in the system the care is superb.
    I know what I have seen someone I love have to deal with it. Maybe it was just the facilities he was at or the plethora of doctors he saw that were awful. I wouldn't wish that level of care on my worst enemy.

I know what I have seen someone I love have to deal with it. Maybe it was just the facilities he was at or the plethora of doctors he saw that were awful. I wouldn't wish that level of care on my worst enemy.
    For every VA horror story there are 20 successful cases. It's the nature of the beast.

For every VA horror story there are 20 successful cases. It's the nature of the beast.
    no one remembers perfect mash potato.

That's great. Unless you or your family member is one of the horror stories.

That's great. Unless you or your family member is one of the horror stories.
    My father was shot-up twice in WWII. He was captured in Italy. Wounds left untreated. Liberated and spent over a year at WR.
    Emotions always find a way to cloud critical judgement.
    Sorry your family member had a less then positive experience with the VA.
    My father didn't. He wasn't one of the lucky ones, he wasn't in the minority either.

That problem is hardly trivial. And, when the discussion is centered around expanding the government's roll in healthcare for EVERYONE, it's particularly problematic. If the government cannot get prompt care for a small subset of the overall population, what makes anyone think they'd be effective at doing it for the entire population?

Who wants to sign up for a single payer system with the caveat that you probably won't get to see an actual doctor for six months? You can't purposefully increase the demand for goods or services without doing something about the supply.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    That problem is hardly trivial. And, when the discussion is centered around expanding the government's roll in healthcare for EVERYONE, it's particularly problematic. If the government cannot get prompt care for a small subset of the overall population, what makes anyone think they'd be effective at doing it for the entire population?

Who wants to sign up for a single payer system with the caveat that you probably won't get to see an actual doctor for six months? You can't purposefully increase the demand for goods or services without doing something about the supply.
    VA and Medicare for all are completely different models.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    VA and Medicare for all are completely different models.
    And something that has been repeated in here over and over but it doesn't fit the narrative. Ask the conservatives who have cut and cut and cut funding to the VA while starting two wars that we have been fighting for 16 years why it takes so long to get an appointment. Make do with less is rubbish.

Thread Information