+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    It happened all year with Indiana. Teams would go almost the entire half shooting a barrage of free throws before Indiana even attempted one.
    Who do you want as the next coach? Would they consider Archie Miller or Gregg Marshall?
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post

For Frank Martin and the Gamecocks, what a massive scalp they had against Coach K and the mighty Duke Bluedevils and they did with a suffocating defense as they book their first ever Sweet 16 appearance in the Field of 68 era.

I've seen Frank Martin win big games and lose big games. And he seems to cry after all of them.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Who do you want as the next coach? Would they consider Archie Miller or Gregg Marshall?
    I hope they do consider several options but realistically, I think Indiana wants a coach that has ties to either the school or state. I think that Indiana will always regret not looking at Brad Stevens the first time around, when instead Crean was hired, as they would love to have either him or Alford.

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I hope they do consider several options but realistically, I think Indiana wants a coach that has ties to either the school or state. I think that Indiana will always regret not looking at Brad Stevens the first time around, when instead Crean was hired, as they would love to have either him or Alford.
    Are there any Indiana alums coaches that are overachieving at mid majors? Or at less prestigious power conference schools?

NYYF Legend

Are there any Indiana alums coaches that are overachieving at mid majors? Or at less prestigious power conference schools?
    I think that one of the major issues about Indiana is their past. Though they haven't won a title in 30 years, and only have reached the final 4 once since Knight left, Indiana thinks of itself as being this major "blueblood" school on the same scale as a Duke, NC, UK, etc... And realistically, until they consistently start winning, I do not share their belief. With that being said, another huge issue with Crean was the lack of recruiting within the state itself. Bryant McIntosh, of NW, who wanted nothing more than to play at IU being a case in point.
    You keep hearing names like Billy Donovan, Dick Bennett, Alford, Stevens, etc...and while a coach coming from less prestige may be the better option, I will be surprised if Indiana goes that direction. The Kelvin Sampson hiring still haunts, and hurts, this school 10+ years later.

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Patron Saint of Missionaries.
    That's helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Bill Muarray's son is an assistant coach for Xavier.
    Arizona's coach, Sean Miller, used to coach Xavier. That's the extent of my knowledge about them.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    They had it and let it slip away. Tough loss and end to a great season.

Not blaming the refs, but I'm genuinely curious how a team can play a whole half without getting into the bonus.
    I was rooting for your team. I really wanted Oregon to lose because of their massacre of Arizona a couple months ago.

Oregon and Gonzaga with thrilling victories.

Arizona/Xavier could be a nail biter, too.

This game is too close. Bear down, Arizona!

I so wanted Oregon to lose!

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Oregon vs. Michigan was a exciting contest with a lot of back and forth. Four players in double figures for Dana Altman's Ducks including Jordan Bell who had his second double-double of the tournament with 16 points and 13 rebounds including four huge ones on the offensive glass where the Ducks had a 6-2 edge over the Wolverines.

Seems to me that Bell has filled the void that Chris Boucher left after the Oregon senior forward tore his ACL.

However, Bill Self and the Kansas Jayhawks will give them their first big test as Oregon is looking for their first Final Four appearance since they won the very first NCAA Tournament back in 1939.

As for West Virginia vs. Gonzaga, a defensive struggle that had a lot of chippy moments as both teams combined for 51 fouls.

The Mountaineers just went ice cold from the field at 26.6% and went 5 for 13 from downtown despite outrebounding Mark Few's Bulldogs 20-7 on the offensive glass.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

Wow, a double-digit seed is going to the Elite Eight!

#11 seed in the West region Xavier upsets the #2 seed Arizona 73-71!

Steve Kerr is stunned after the Musketeers ended the game on a 12-2 run to steal one in the Shark Tank.

Xavier will take on Gonzaga in the Elite Eight inside the SAP Center in San Jose on Saturday.

Arizona just went ice cold from the field as Xavier's defense yielded 43.5% shooting from the field and 7 for 27 from three-point land.

Will the Pac-12 get one more team into the Elite Eight with UCLA or will Oregon keep the Pac-12 flag flying?

Trier couldn't land anything the first half. Wildcats played awful. 😬
    Hope Xavier handles the Zags.

It's disappointing that the Boilermakers couldn't get it done yesterday, but it's definitely great to have the Ducks, Bulldogs, and Musketeers advancing to the elite eight. For today, let's hope the Bulldogs, Gamecocks, Bruins, and Badgers all pull through.

Quote Originally Posted by PettittesPrincess View Post
    Trier couldn't land anything the first half. Wildcats played awful. 😬
    Hope Xavier handles the Zags.
    I can't believe we lost to a garbage team like Xavier. We really did not play well. I really thought this was our year. I'm bleeding.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I can't believe we lost to a garbage team like Xavier. We really did not play well. I really thought this was our year. I'm bleeding.
    Xavier is not that bad. They just had a bad February.

disappointing results from friday. hope to have a final 4 of gonzaga, oregon, south carolina, north carolina.

At least we finally have a buzzer-beating game-winner and it was in the World's Most Famous Arena in Madison Square as Florida outlasted Wisconsin in OT.

The Southeastern Conference and the Pacific-12 Conferences have been the two most underrated conferences in the tourney.

South Carolina has been a pretty good story as Frank Martin led the Gamecocks to their deepest tournament run to date with 25 wins and an Elite Eight appearance.

Kentucky outplayed UCLA. North Carolina vs. Kentucky will be a rock-a-roo.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Xavier is not that bad. They just had a bad February.
    Agree to disagree. I think they're pretty bad. Arizona should've handled them as easily as Gonzaga just did. My tournament is over.

Agree to disagree. I think they're pretty bad. Arizona should've handled them as easily as Gonzaga just did. My tournament is over.
    Okay.

Well bear in mind, Xavier was 18-6 on February 8, 2017 until they went into that tailspin to finish 21-13 after the Big East tournament and before Selection Sunday.

Every tournament, there's a game that crushes my heart of destroys my bracket. X beating Zona was that game this season. I figured I would skip the rest of the tourney.

But I watched the Oregon vs Kansas game, expecting a Kansas win on their semi home court. I was happy with the Pac 12 with a representative in the Final Four, and two west coast teams. That will help with recruiting and the overall respect.

I'll be the first to say that Miller is a very good hire. I also thought Crean was an excellent hire back when he was recruited from Marquette.

I didn't want Archie Miller in the Pac 12.

Without Chris Boucher who tore his ACL in his knee, many college basketball fans and critics thought Dana Altman and the Oregon Ducks were not going to go far in the 2017 NCAA Tournament.

Well, the Ducks proved everybody wrong as they book their first Final Four appearance since they won the very first NCAA Tournament in 1939, stunning a pro-Kansas Jayhawks crowd in a 74-60 victory over Bill Self's squad inside the Sprint Center in Kansas City.

Jordan Bell has taken over the Boucher role with another double-double of 11 points, 13 rebounds and eight, yes, eight blocked shots.

Tyler Dorsey led all players with 27 points on 9-for-13 shooting including 6-for-10 from downtown.

Frank Mason III led KU with 21 points, but the Oregon defense limited Kansas to 35% shooting.

The Ducks go to Glendale, Arizona to await the winner of the South Region between the North Carolina Tar Heels and the Kentucky Wildcats.

Meanwhile inside San Jose, California's SAP Center, third time is the charm for Mark Few and the Gonzaga Bulldogs as they book their first Final Four appearance in school history in their third attempt routing the only remaining double-digit seed team in the tournament the Xavier Musketeers 83-59.

Nigel Williams-Goss was one of four Gonzaga players in double-figures with 23 points as the Zags shot 12 of 24 from three-point land.

Xavier only shot 35.5% from the field in the game.

Gonzaga will await the winner of the East Region in an all-SEC showdown in MSG between South Carolina Gamecocks and the Florida Gators.

NYYF Cy Young

Jordan Bell is an ANIMAL!! Ducks and Gonzaga, West Coast -- Best Coast Baby!
    When I was a kid, my father told me, "Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it."

I probably won't be watching much of the Final Four. I'm disgusted that I'm being forced to hope North Carolina wins

Thread Information