+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament Thread 2017

38% and 28% ..........my brackets are a mess.......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

NYYF Legend

Great game by my Gamecocks last night........Duke tomorrow.......

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Since you're a SF Bay Area native, hopefully you can catch a game or two inside the Shark Tank if Arizona makes it to the Sweet 16.

I've looked into it but I'm not jinxing anything.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

The Northwestern Wildcats' NCAA Tournament debut comes to an end.

Despite making a game in the second half, the #1 seed in the West Region, the Gonzaga Bulldogs pulled away in the end 79-73.

Nigel Williams-Goss had 20 points and eight rebounds once led by 18 points at halftime.

Bryant McIntosh was neutralized as the Northwestern guard went 7 for 20 shooting from the field. Northwestern shot 40.9% from the field as a team.

Gonzaga goes to San Jose's SAP Center in the Sweet 16 as they will take on the West Virginia Mountaineers.
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

A double-digit seed goes into the Sweet 16.

#11 seed in the West region Xavier Musketeers punch their ticket to San Jose after routing the #3 seed Florida State Seminoles 91-66.

Xavier routed Florida State inside Orlando's Amway Center in all phases of the game including an 11-4 edge in treys.

Trevon Bluiett led the way with 29 points including 3 for 5 from downtown and 10 for 14 from the charity stripe.

Xavier awaits the winner of St. Mary's Gaels and the Arizona Wildcats in the Sweet 16.

Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    The Northwestern Wildcats' NCAA Tournament debut comes to an end.

Despite making a game in the second half, the #1 seed in the West Region, the Gonzaga Bulldogs pulled away in the end 79-73.

Nigel Williams-Goss had 20 points and eight rebounds once led by 18 points at halftime.

Bryant McIntosh was neutralized as the Northwestern guard went 7 for 20 shooting from the field. Northwestern shot 40.9% from the field as a team.

Gonzaga goes to San Jose's SAP Center in the Sweet 16 as they will take on the West Virginia Mountaineers.

Zags got some help at the end there.

Arizona looks like crap. This is stressing me out.

It was rough, but my Wildcats are headed to the Sweet Sixteen!

Butler Bulldogs, Florida Gators and Purdue Boilermakers round out the first set of eight teams punching their tickets to the Sweet 16.

The Wisconsin Badgers eliminating the #1 overall seed Villanova Wildcats is my story of Day 3 of the NCAA Tournament.

Second Round Games

Saturday March 19, 2017
    #7 Michigan v. #2 Louisville 12:10 PM ET/9:10 AM PT CBS
    Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana
    MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP - MIDWEST REGION - 2ND ROUND

#10 Wichita State v. #2 Kentucky 2:40 PM ET/11:40 AM PT CBS
    Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Indianapolis, Indiana
    MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP - SOUTH REGION - 2ND ROUND

#9 Michigan State v. #1Kansas 5:15 PM ET/2:15 PM PT CBS
    Bank of Oklahoma Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma

#8 Arkansas v. #1 North Carolina 6:10 PM ET/3:10 PM PT TNT
    Bon Secours Wellness Arena, Greenville, South Carolina

#11 Rhode Island v. #3 Oregon 7:10 PM ET/4:10 PM PT TBS
    Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, California

#11 USC v. #3 Baylor 7:45 PM PT/4:45 PM PT truTV
    Bank of Oklahoma Center, Tulsa, Oklahoma
    MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP - EAST REGION - 2ND ROUND

#7 South Carolina v. #2 Duke 8:40 PM ET/5:40 PM PT TNT
    Bon Secours Wellness Arena, Greenville, South Carolina
    MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP - EAST REGION - 2ND ROUND

#6 Cincinnati vs. #3 UCLA 9:40 PM ET/6:40 PM PT TBS
    Golden 1 Center, Sacramento, California

The Maize and Blue punched their ticket to Kansas City.

The #7 seed Michigan Wolverines book a spot in the Sweet 16 in the Midwest Regional after upsetting the #2 seed Louisville Cardinals 73-69 in Indy.

Moritz Wagner led the Wolverines with 26 points on 11 for 14 shooting as Michigan erased a 36-28 halftime deficit.

Donovan Mitchell had 19 points and seven rebounds, but Rick Pitino's squad shot 5 for 20 from downtown.

Michigan awaits the winner of Rhode Island and Oregon in the Sweet 16.

#2 seed in the South Region, the Kentucky Wildcats, punched their ticket to the Sweet 16.

John Calipari's Wildcats survived a scare against the #10 seed Wichita State Shockers in a defensive struggle 65-62.

UK had three players in double figures with Edrice Adebayo leading the way with a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

Malik Monk had 14 points including sinking all six free throw attempts. Monk also had two blocks as Kentucky neutralized Wichita State as the Shockers shot 38.7% from the field.

Dearron Fox also had 14 points.

Landry Shamet led Wichita State with 20 points in a losing effort.

Kentucky await the winner of the #6 seed Cincinnati Bearcats and #3 UCLA Bruins in the Sweet 16 inside Memphis' FedEx Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    It was rough, but my Wildcats are headed to the Sweet Sixteen!
    Yes, it was rough- but that is a very deep and athletic team. At least you might be able to go if they reach Final Four.

I believed that FSU was the weakest, by far, #3 seed. I was hoping they would make the Sweet 16. I think Xavier will be a tougher game.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    My Rams are one of the hottest teams in the country right now! If they can play defense like they have been, keep up the FT success and just make a few more 3's tomorrow they should really have a shot at beating Oregon.
    6 minutes left.

So far, I'd say you have a very good shot at winning this game. But Oregon is tough, even without their shot blocker.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Buh bye, Duke.

The committee looks smarter tonight for not making them a #1 seed. I'll miss Ted Cruz, Jr, though.

What a second round for the Pacific-12 Conference.

The Pac-12 will see three of their four teams into the Sweet 16.

In the Midwest region, the #3 seed Oregon Ducks had to dig deep and outlast a gamed and gutsy #11 seed Rhode Island Rams squad who gave them a mighty scare in the Ducks' 75-72 squeaker inside Sacramento's Golden 1 Center.

The Rams once led 46-38 at halftime, 56-45 with 13:40 remaining in the second half and 72-68 with 2:20 to go in regulation.

Stanford Robinson came off the bench and scored 21 points on 10 for 12 shooting from the field with Jared Terrell adding 15 on 7 for 11 shooting and E.C. Matthews chipping in with 13 as Rhode Island shot 50.8% from the field.

But Tyler Dorsey, Dillon Brooks and Jordan Bell helped the Ducks chip away at the Rams' lead.

Bell had 12 rebounds including six on the offensive glass as Oregon outrebounded Rhode Island 35-28 including a 15-9 edge on the offensive boards.

That rebounding edge allowed Oregon to get more free throw attempts as they went 18 for 27 to Rhode Island's six for eight and allowed both Dorsey and Brooks to go off in the second half.

Brooks had 19 points while Dorsey led all scorers with 27 including two clutch treys with under two minutes to go.

Brooks tied the game at 72-all with 1:48 left with a trey and hit the late go-ahead triple to give Oregon a 75-72 lead with 40 seconds left as the Ducks close out the game with a 7-0 run in the final 2:11 of the game.

Oregon will travel to Kansas City's Sprint Center to take on the #7 seeded Michigan Wolverines.

Meanwhile in Sacramento's final tournament game inside the Golden 1 Center, #3 seed UCLA Bruins punched their ticket to Memphis' FedEx Forum with a date with the #2 seed Kentucky Wildcats after pulling away from the #6 seed Cincinnati Bearcats in the second half in a 79-67 triumph.

Jacob Evans and Kevin Johnson made it tough in the first half on Lonzo Ball and the Bruins with 13 points each as the Bearcats led 33-30 at the break.

However, Steve Alford's Bruins cranked up their production in the second half Ball was the catalyst in the Bruins' second half revival.

Ball led all scorers with 18 points and added seven rebounds and nine assists with only one turnover.

UCLA had 21 assists to only three turnovers in the win.

Bryce Alford added 16 points as all five UCLA starters were in double-digits.

UCLA and Oregon join the Arizona Wildcats in the Sweet 16.

For Andy Enfield and the #11 seed USC Trojans, they ran out of their clutch comeback magic in their 82-78 loss to the Baylor Bears in the East Region.

The Bears once had a 36-26 lead with 2:10 to go in the first half.

Jonathan Motley led the way for Baylor with a double-double with 19 points and 10 rebounds and Terry Maston added 19 points and nine rebounds off the bench with five of his 19 points from the free throw line.

Baylor outrebounded USC 34-23 including a 14-6 edge on the offensive glass and went 13 for 15 from the charity stripe.

King McClure crowned the Trojans from distance going 5 for 8 as he chipped in with 17 points.

However, USC refused to quit and just won't go away.

Chimezie Metu led the charge with 28 points going 11 for 14 from the field and was a perfect 6 for 6 from the free throw line.

Bennie Boatwright eased the load off Metu with 16 points including four treys as USC also had a lead with under five minutes to go.

But Baylor outscored the Trojans in the back-and-forth second half 17-9 to hang on for the win.

The Bears will travel to Madison Square Garden and take on the #7 seed South Carolina Gamecocks who upset #2 seed Duke Bluedevils in front of their fans and a pro-North Carolina Tar Heel faithful in Greenville.

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Buh bye, Duke.

The committee looks smarter tonight for not making them a #1 seed. I'll miss Ted Cruz, Jr, though.
    Jacques aka montrealer is dancing in the streets of Montreal right now.

What a second half by Frank Martin's squad scoring 65 points to Duke's 51.

Both teams made 27 free throws, but it was the suffocating Gamecocks defense that forced 18 turnovers and the offensive rebounding edge 15-10 was the difference for South Carolina as they reached the Sweet 16 for the first time in their program's history.

Sindarius Thornwell caused havoc all night long with 24 points and Chris Silva and Duane Notice added 17 points with Silva having a double-double with 10 rebounds.

The Baylor-South Carolina Sweet 16 game inside MSG will be a rock-a-roo.

The #1 seed in the Midwest Region, the North Carolina Tar Heels had to survive a poor shooting night to pull away from the #8 seed Arkansas Razorbacks late in a 72-65 victory.

Roy Williams' Tar Heels shot 38.1% from the field including 5 for 17 from downtown, but they made up for it going 19 for 25 from the line and outrebounded Arkansas 45-32 including a 18-8 lopside on the offensive boards.

Kennedy Meeks had a double-double of 16 points and 11 rebounds and added three blocks. Justin Jackson 15 points and eight rebounds.

Two Razorbacks bench players kept the game close and even had some leads in the second half as Daryl Macon had 19 points and Anton Beard added 10 in losing efforts.

North Carolina travels to FedEx Forum in Memphis to take on the #4 seed Butler Bulldogs.

The #1 seed in the Midwest region, the Kansas Jayhawks rocked and chalked to a 90-70 rout over the #9 seed Michigan State Spartans after a 50-35 second half domination.

Four Jayhawks scored in double-figures with Josh Jackson leading the way with 23 points and Frank Mason III adding 20.

Miles Bridges had 22 points in a losing effort for Tom Izzo's men.

Kansas will travel to Kansas City's Sprint Center to take on the #4 seed Purdue Boilermakers.

My stories from Day Four aka the end of the Second Round...

The two #7 seeds advancing to the Sweet 16 in South Carolina and Michigan after knocking out two #2 seeds.

For Frank Martin and the Gamecocks, what a massive scalp they had against Coach K and the mighty Duke Bluedevils and they did with a suffocating defense as they book their first ever Sweet 16 appearance in the Field of 68 era.

Sindarius Thornwell, Chris Silva and Duane Notice can give Ish Wainwright and the Baylor Bears fits and possibly have a shot at an Elite Eight appearance.

As for the Michigan Wolverines, John Beilein is no stranger to taking teams deeper into the tournament as he saw the Maize and Blue eliminate Rick Pitino and the Louisville Cardinals.

Beilein has a pretty good shot in taking his fourth different team into the Elite Eight or better after he was successful in three previous occasions in West Virginia in 2005 and Michigan in 2013 and 2014 with the Oregon Ducks next on their list and Dana Altman, Tyler Dorsey and the Ducks going into the second weekend despite not having Chris Boucher who was out for the season after having a torn ACL in his knee.

Speaking of Oregon, the Pacific-12 conference is showing once again why that conference is arguably the most underrated Power conference in college basketball. They had only four berths and three of them are in the Sweet 16 in UCLA, Arizona and Oregon with USC coming just short against Baylor.

In contrast, the Atlantic Coast Conference had nine bids in the tournament and they are down to one and that's the North Carolina Tar Heels. The Big East also has a bad ratio as they're down to two teams remaining out of their seven bids.

Conference breakdown of the 16 teams: Big Ten, Big 12, Southeaster and Pacific 12 have three teams remaining each, Big East two, ACC and the West Coast Conference with one each.

The Xavier Musketeers is the only double-digit seed remaining in the tournament as they are the #11 seed in the West region and they have a tough assignment in the #2 seed Arizona Wildcats.

Let's see what drama is there left in the Regional Rounds as by March 26, we will all find out who will go to Glendale, Arizona's University of Phoenix Stadium for the Final Four.

Yes, it was rough- but that is a very deep and athletic team. At least you might be able to go if they reach Final Four.

I believed that FSU was the weakest, by far, #3 seed. I was hoping they would make the Sweet 16. I think Xavier will be a tougher game.
    Honestly I don't know anything about Xavier.

It would be really cool to go to the Final Four...and also really expensive.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    38% and 28% ..........my brackets are a mess.......
    What a come back for me...........79% and 72% Nova my only loss.......

Patron Saint of Missionaries.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Bill Muarray's son is an assistant coach for Xavier.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

6 minutes left.

So far, I'd say you have a very good shot at winning this game. But Oregon is tough, even without their shot blocker.
    They had it and let it slip away. Tough loss and end to a great season.

Not blaming the refs, but I'm genuinely curious how a team can play a whole half without getting into the bonus.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    They had it and let it slip away. Tough loss and end to a great season.

Not blaming the refs, but I'm genuinely curious how a team can play a whole half without getting into the bonus.
    It happened all year with Indiana. Teams would go almost the entire half shooting a barrage of free throws before Indiana even attempted one.

Thread Information