+ Reply to Thread
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

Can sports still make us this happy?

What is amazing about this clip -- that we have all seen --is how happy the Giant fans are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

NYYF Legend

Re: Can sports still make us this happy?

Quote Originally Posted by hardrain View Post
    What is amazing about this clip -- that we have all seen --is how happy the Giant fans are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrI7dVj90zs

Of course it can. Sticking to baseball, Maris 61 the homer in 1961, Cone's perfecto on Yogi Berras day , Seavers 300th victory with Chicago on Phil Rizzuttos day in YS, The Cubs WS victory last year, and probably hundreds more. I get excited on most Yankee games, even todays with Homers by Sanchez, Torres and Holiday in a 7-1 victory over the Tigers

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar

That's a great answer, Andy.
    Standings: Big Inning 32-16; Blue Cut 27-21; Shoo Fly 26-22; Husk 22-26; Frank Pierce 21-27; Iowa City 16-32.

Maybe when you see something genuinely amazing like that. But I am going to say no, as I get older, I find I derive less joy out of watching baseball and my fandom has waned. I still enjoy it, but my emotions no longer swing on whether or not the Yankees lose or not.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Maybe when you see something genuinely amazing like that. But I am going to say no, as I get older, I find I derive less joy out of watching baseball and my fandom has waned. I still enjoy it, but my emotions no longer swing on whether or not the Yankees lose or not.
    Since I was diagnosed with kidney disease this is me as well. Yanks win or lose and my mood doesn't change much. I am just thankful I have baseball to watch. I also find more joy watching my Godson and nephew play (nephew being recruited by some high level Division I schools) than the majors. Get older priorities change.
    Posts in invisible key strokes

I was pretty happy when Aaron Boone hit his home run in 2003. It depends on the circumstance.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

No, absolutely not. It's a fake happiness, if you feel happy about sports.

Sad to say, and that makes me sad.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Too much message board over analysis sucked a lot of the joy out of baseball for me. I didn't realize it at the time but now that I've stepped away from it, the joy is back. Although my fantasy prowess has taken a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Since I was diagnosed with kidney disease this is me as well. Yanks win or lose and my mood doesn't change much. I am just thankful I have baseball to watch. I also find more joy watching my Godson and nephew play (nephew being recruited by some high level Division I schools) than the majors. Get older priorities change.
    That's a good post, Rick.
    I'm almost in the same boat. Win or lose is now okay with me. Over-analysis sometimes kill the joy. Even if I have put a bet in I'm okay with winning or losing. I was over the hill happy when Villanova won the NCAAB last year.
    Now I'm just relegated to mostly watching my kids compete. Win or lose the fact that they are able to compete is what really makes me smile.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Isn't that why we watch sports? To watch the tension and drama rise until moments like this cause an explosion of emotions?

(Unnecessary censorship all over that post)

NYYF Legend

Hell yeah.........Get that beer on ice......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    No, absolutely not. It's a fake happiness, if you feel happy about sports.

Sad to say, and that makes me sad.
    Yeah, at some point I stopped and thought it is really silly to care about this the way have been and having my emotions on a roller coaster whether people I don't know win or lose a baseball game.

But obviously we can still enjoy it, just like we enjoy other pointless things in life like TV or movies, but to have your emotions impacted on daily basis seems pretty silly.

That being said, I still allow my emotions to be impacted by my fantasy team, so maybe I am a hypocrite.
    "Long Island is New Jersey with a GED." - Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    Of course it can. Sticking to baseball, Maris 61 the homer in 1961, Cone's perfecto on Yogi Berras day , Seavers 300th victory with Chicago on Phil Rizzuttos day in YS, The Cubs WS victory last year, and probably hundreds more. I get excited on most Yankee games, even todays with Homers by Sanchez, Torres and Holiday in a 7-1 victory over the Tigers

Andy
    Probably the happiest MLB has ever made me was when Jim Abbott threw that no hitter.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

NYYF Legend

It is funny how I can vividly remember being so angry about a Yankee game like when I hurt my back throwing my couch when Knoblauch screwed up a play in LF or kicking dents in my cruiser when Mo allowed a 3r HR to Andruw Jones or denting my refrigerator after a Bonds blast into the upper tank at old Yankee Stadium. Fun times.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NYDCYankee View Post
    Yeah, at some point I stopped and thought it is really silly to care about this the way have been and having my emotions on a roller coaster whether people I don't know win or lose a baseball game.

But obviously we can still enjoy it, just like we enjoy other pointless things in life like TV or movies, but to have your emotions impacted on daily basis seems pretty silly.

That being said, I still allow my emotions to be impacted by my fantasy team, so maybe I am a hypocrite.

I agree that winning or losing doesn't impact me much, but I love to watch baseball because of the beauty of it and the skills it takes to play great plays and at bats give much joy to me

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

Whenever I feel the stress of what is going on today in our world, I still turn to baseball for relieve. The Yankees especially this year have me excited with all this young talent. Whether they win or lose I think they are going in the right direction. I just hope that the mess in Washington can somehow come to and end soon!!

Of course they can. Aside from the fact that fans can't run out on the field, I'm not sure what's particularly different about that from how people feel after a dramatic win in a big moment from their team nowadays.

I mean, look at all these Cubs fans:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPB0UMVTlj8

nice video clip

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by BRenninger View Post
    That's a good post, Rick.
    I'm almost in the same boat. Win or lose is now okay with me. Over-analysis sometimes kill the joy. Even if I have put a bet in I'm okay with winning or losing. I was over the hill happy when Villanova won the NCAAB last year.
    Now I'm just relegated to mostly watching my kids compete. Win or lose the fact that they are able to compete is what really makes me smile.

I am really tired of the arcane records many announcers bring up such as "(the Player) is the first in history to hit a triple with the bases loaded in his third time at bat in the second game of a doubleheader on his thirtyith birthday". They het be upset. Do we need all these stats?

I also am tired of hearing about the exit velocity and upward angle of batted balls, mostly HR's. Lets do away with that

Andy

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Too much message board over analysis sucked a lot of the joy out of baseball for me. I didn't realize it at the time but now that I've stepped away from it, the joy is back. Although my fantasy prowess has taken a hit.
    it has changed the happiness i get from baseball. i get a great deal more "joy" out of understanding why the best payers are good.

it has removed the (naive) joy i would feel should the yankees sign a scrub and he get a few hits in his first week.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Thread Information