+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Re: 2017 World Baseball Classic Thread

USA! USA! USA!

That's the chant all around Dodger Stadium tonight.

Jim Leyland and the United States captured their first ever World Baseball Classic Championship title routing Puerto Rico 8-0!
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by -tz View Post
    So the U.S. guys know how to play baseball after all! Damb.
    I'd like to think I am the MVP after my DR game post.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...
    <--- The Ryan emoticon.

What an impressive run to the title for Team USA.

Jim Leyland adds the 2017 World Baseball Classic title to his 1997 MLB World Championship in his resume.

The United States drew first blood in the third inning when Texas Rangers second baseman Ian Kinsler hit a towering two-run home run to give the United States a 2-0 lead.

The Americans chased New York Mets prospect and Puerto Rico's starter tonight Seth Lugo in the fifth when Lugo was knocked out of the game after failing to get an out in the inning after Christian Yelich delivered an RBI single to make it 3-0 USA and Andrew McCuthen followed up with a bleeding RBI single to short to make it 4-0 USA.

Lugo pitched four innings, gave up five hits, four runs and four walks despite having seven strikeouts.

Lugo's opposite number Toronto Blue Jays Marcus Stroman cruised tonight giving up one hit in six innings.

San Francisco Giants shortstop Brandon Crawford continued the onslaught in the seventh with a two-run single and Miami Marlins megastar Giancarlo Stanton created another chink in the Puerto Rico armor with an RBI single as the Americans were up 7-0 after seven.

McCutchen put the exclamation point on the game with another RBI single.

The Americans went 5 for 15 with runners in scoring position while their pitching staff surrendered three hits from the vaunted Puerto Rico offense.

Leyland and his Team USA squad complete an improbable run to the 2017 WBC title knocking off defending champions Dominican Republic and handing both Japan and Puerto Rico their first losses of the tournament and eliminating them. That was 2007 and 2011 New York Giants and 2011 St. Louis Cardinals type of title run there.

Also with the 2017 WBC title, Team USA is the first team in world baseball to complete the International Baseball Grand Slam (IBAF Intercontinental Cup, IBAF Baseball World Cup, Olympic Gold Medal and World Baseball Classic).

In addition, the United States also completed the International Baseball Quintuple with the International Baseball Grand Slam and their Pan American title back in 1967.

Toronto Blue Jays Marcus Stroman named Tournament MVP
    https://twitter.com/WBCBaseball/stat...78724889313285

Come on voters.

Adam Jones or Brandon Crawford are much better choices since Team USA won the whole thing.

Yes, Stroman pitched a diamond tonight, but he got rocked the first time against Puerto Rico.

I have to give a lot of credit to USA Baseball for picking Jim Leyland as manager of Team USA for the World Baseball Classic.

The tough love approach was missing in Team USA in the 2006, 2009 and 2013 teams, but when Leyland came on board, his tough love approach helped the United States jell as a team and gave them the never say die trait that created the magical 2017 title run.

It helped Team USA win those close ballgames in the 2017 World Baseball Classic and beating and eliminating the three of the best teams in the tournament in the Dominican Republic, Japan and Puerto Rico.

BB55's All-tournament team: 2017 World Baseball Classic

Starting lineup/fielders
    Outfield
    LF: Yo................omo Tsutsugoh, Japan
    CF: Adam Jones, United States
    RF: Wladimir Balentien, Netherlands

Infield
    3B: Carlos Correa, Puerto Rico
    SS: Brandon Crawford, United States
    2B: Javier Baez, Puerto Rico
    1B: Eric Hosmer, United States

Catcher
    C: Yadier Molina, Puerto Rico

Designated Hitter
    DH: Carlos Beltran, Puerto Rico

Starting Pitcher: Seth Lugo, Puerto Rico

Closer: Luke Gregerson, United States

Manager: Jim Leyland, United States

NYYF Legend

Being of Puerto Rican descent, I'm very proud of both teams though I was pulling for the US as I always have. The tournament itself was exciting. I enjoyed it more than the 3 (?) previous iterations, and the US really showed out despite missing guys like Kershaw and Trout, superstars who many might've seen as individuals to power the squad.
    Disco Stu:
    Nick Swisher has agreed to a $56 mil, 4 year contract with the Cleveland Indians. Good riddance!!!

teknetic
    .268/.367/.483 .850 during his four years here. Can we get rid of you instead?

Amazing job by Jim Leyland. And a dominant outing by Stroman last night. Going into last night the starters had a 1.50 ERA.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by DontHateOnNumber2 View Post
    Being of Puerto Rican descent, I'm very proud of both teams though I was pulling for the US as I always have. The tournament itself was exciting. I enjoyed it more than the 3 (?) previous iterations, and the US really showed out despite missing guys like Kershaw and Trout, superstars who many might've seen as individuals to power the squad.
    Stroman's mother is Puerto Rican and Lugo has one grandfather from Puerto Rico. They both did well for their heritage !

NYYF Legend

Prior to the game I was questioning Leyland/Team USA for not bringing Archer back for this game. Boy was I wrong. Stroman pitched a gem.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Stroman's mother is Puerto Rican and Lugo has one grandfather from Puerto Rico. They both did well for their heritage !
    Stroman had a choice to pitch on either team and took some heat on Twitter which is why I can't stand Twitter. Lugo wouldn't have made team USA so he played for who he could.

I am glad I was wrong on Stroman. He was awesome. I got two predictions right. The USA bats would need to come alive and a former Yankee would close out the game. I just thought it would be Miller not DRob.

Leyland handled the pitching staff as good as he could. As soon as Stroman lost his no-hit bid in the 7th and with a 8 run lead he was pulled well below the 95 pitch limit. No jerking around with mid-inning relief changes. The Puerto Rican bullpen was just exposed and they couldn't get anyone out.

Japan was the real runner up IMO.
    Last edited by Donnybaseball72; 03-23-17 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Dyed Blond.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Thread Information