Re: 2017 World Baseball Classic Thread

March 11, 2017 Schedule
    https://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/

First Round
    Pool C - Miami, Florida, United States
    COL v. CAN Noon ET/9 AM PT
    USA v. DOM 6:30 PM ET/3:30 PM PT

Pool D - Jalisco, Mexico
    VEN v. ITA 3 PM ET/Noon PT (Local: Sat, Mar 11 2 PM CDT)
    PUR v. MEX 9:30 PM ET/6:30 PM PT (Local: Sat, Mar 11 8:30 PM CDT)

Second Round
    Pool E - Tokyo, Japan
    CUB v. ISR 10 PM ET/7 PM PT (Local: Sun, Mar 12 12 PM JST)
    "Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose." - Ayrton Senna

NYYF Legend

The USA/Columbia game is why I am a fan of baseball and not just a fan of the Yankees. Haters are gonna hate but it is so nice to see meaningful baseball in March. I waited till this morning to watch the extra innings and I was at the edge of my seat.

Venezuela must be so embarrassed. They have no relief pitching.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    The USA/Columbia game is why I am a fan of baseball and not just a fan of the Yankees. Haters are gonna hate but it is so nice to see meaningful baseball in March. I waited till this morning to watch the extra innings and I was at the edge of my seat.

Venezuela must be so embarrassed. They have no relief pitching.
    Same here and for those people say no one cares obviously didn't watch that game. I am a baseball fan first and a Yankee fan second. Love the exposure it provides the sport.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I can't believe I'm watching Eric Gagne pitching for Team Canada right now. He last pitched in the majors in '08.

Apparently, he's trying to make a comeback of some sorts. His FB is being clocked at 88-89 mph.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

NYYF Legend

The woes continue for Venezuela as they are down 5-3 to the Italian-Americans.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Pool C - Miami

Colombia stays alive in the World Baseball Classic after defeating Canada 4-1.

Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman gave Canada a 1-0 lead after the first inning with an RBI single.

However, it was all Colombia after that.

New York Yankees second baseman Donovan Solano led the way going 2-for-5 with 2 RBI singles.

Atlanta Braves pitcher Julio Teheran took the win after allowing one run in five innings with former Minnesota Twin and Kansas City Royal pitcher Yohan Pino hurled three scoreless innings and Houston Astros pitcher Dayan Diaz gets the save after punching out three batters in his scoreless ninth.

Colombia will take on the Dominican Republic in their final Pool C game while Canada has their North of the Border rival the United States in their finale.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-uS62G4smc

US dominating the Dominican Republic 5-0 in the 6th. Marcus Stroman went 4 2/3 innings coming out after Marte hit a two out single bringing Stroman to his pitch limit.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

News guaranteed to get the anti WBC crowd attention, KC Royals catcher Salvador Perez suffered what looked to be a serious knee injury today. Undergoing tests tonight.

NYYF Legend

And just like that, the lead is gone. DR up 6 - 5.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    And just like that, the lead is gone. DR up 6 - 5.
    Not only Team USA blew the lead, it could be a costly loss for Jim Leyland and the Americans.

Had the Americans beat the Dominican Republic, they could've booked a spot in the Second Round.

Marcus Stroman pitched a scoreless 4 and 2/3 innings with four strikeouts, but Tanner Roark created some cracks in the walls giving up three runs and Andrew Miller completely imploded giving up two home runs in his work.

Manny Machado was the catalyst that also set up Nelson Cruz. The DR is assured at least third place in Pool C after their win.

Current Standings
    DOM 2-0
    USA 1-1
    COL 1-1
    CAN 0-2

The tiebreakers could come into play and these are the tiebreakers:
    HTH − Head-to-head. RA − Runs against. IPD − Innings the team pitched. RA/IPD − The index of RA/IPD.

In the runs against category if it gets that far...
    COL allowed four runs
    DOM allowed seven runs
    USA allowed nine runs
    CAN allowed 10 runs

On Sunday, the Dominican Republic takes on Colombia while the United States takes on Canada.

It could get dicey if Colombia beats the Dominican Republic and the Americans beat Canada as it will create a three-way dance for two spots. It will also get dicey if the Canadians beat the Americans while Colombia loses to the Dominican Republic.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C3uzXwtoX0

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    News guaranteed to get the anti WBC crowd attention, KC Royals catcher Salvador Perez suffered what looked to be a serious knee injury today. Undergoing tests tonight.
    Here's the footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKlS_2SNcTo

It was a play at the plate collision which saw Italy tie the game at 10-10 and tried to win it with another walkoff, but Drew Butera was called out at the plate.

It was also the inning when Salvador Perez gave Venezuela a 10-9 lead with his solo shot off Pat Venditte.

But the Venezuelan bullpen blew another save when Francisco Rodriguez blew it despite getting the win. Venezuela better get their bullpen together or else they'll be going home if they don't beat Mexico.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zDJFIRxcno

Speaking of Mexico, their boxing war rivals Puerto Rico beat them 9-4.

Puerto Rico is assured at least third place in Pool D and need to beat Italy to assure themselves a spot in the second round. Mexico is on the brink of finishing last and eliminated.

Cleveland Indians SS Francisco Lindor had two homers and three RBIs as he went 3-for-5 and Milwaukee Brewer young hurler Jorge Lopez struck out five batters in 4 and a 1/3 innings pitched as Puerto Rico once led 5-1 heading into the seventh-inning stretch.

But Mexico came back to score three runs to pull to within one 5-4 after seven.

Former Philadelphia Phillies OF Chris Roberson came off the bench and hit a looping RBI single. New York Met Xorge Carrillo reached on a throwing error by Carlos Correa to make it 5-3.

And Minnesota Twins pitcher Hector Santiago threw a wild pitch that scored Roberson to cut Puerto Rico's lead to 5-4.

But Puerto Rico pulled away in the top half of the ninth. St. Louis Cardinals C Yadier Molina plated an RBI single and Chicago Cub young gun Javier Baez clubbed a three-run home run to make it 9-4.

Like Pool C, Pool D has all four teams in contention for two spots with the tiebreakers and a possible tiebreaker game coming into play and has at least one team assuring third place.

Current Pool D Standings
    PUR 2-0
    VEN 1-1
    ITA 1-1
    MEX 0-2

The tiebreakers could come into play and these are the tiebreakers:
    HTH − Head-to-head. RA − Runs against. IPD − Innings the team pitched. RA/IPD − The index of RA/IPD.

In the runs against category if it gets that far...
    PUR 4
    MEX 19
    ITA 20
    VEN 21

Puerto Rico takes on Italy while Mexico takes on Venezuela in the final Pool D slate in Jalisco.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyoJDQhix1k
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 03-12-17 at 02:20 PM.

Second Round

Pool E - Tokyo Dome Tokyo, Japan
    The feel good story of the 2017 World Baseball Classic remains undefeated with another scalp.

Team Israel is a perfect 4-for-4 after beating Cuba 4-1 inside the Tokyo Dome.

Alfredo Despaigne gave Cuba a 1-0 lead after his solo blast in the second inning off Jason Marquis.

However, Marquis surrendered only that run in 5 and 2/3 innings pitched with four strikeouts.

Israel took over from there.

Ryan Lavarnway tied the game at 1-1 in the fourth with an RBI double.

Arizona Diamondbacks OF Zach Borenstein gave Israel their first lead with an RBI single followed by Blake Gailen RBI double in the sixth.

Gailen had his second RBI of the game in the eighth with a sacrifice bunt.

The Israeli bullpen kept the Cuba bats at bay allowing one hit in 3 and 1/3 scoreless innings as former Oakland Athletics farmhand Zach Thornton grabbed the win.

Josh Zeid grabbed the save after escaping a two-out bases loaded jam in the eighth and shut out the Cubans in a 1-2-3 ninth.

Israel will take on the Netherlands next while Cuba has a score to settle with Japan after the Japanese beat them 11-6 in Pool A play in the first round.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AF8BpsyqKU
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 03-12-17 at 02:20 PM.

March 12, 2017 Schedule
    https://www.worldbaseballclassic.com/schedule/

First Round
    Pool C - Miami (Marlins Park)
    DOM v. COL 12:30 PM ET/9:30 AM PT
    CAN v. USA 7 PM ET/4 PM PT

Pool D - Jalisco, Mexico (Estadio Charros de Jalisco_
    ITA v. PUR 3:30 PM ET/12:30 PM PT (Local: Sun, Mar 12 1:30 PM CDT)
    MEX v. VEN 10 PM ET/7 PM PT (Local: Sun, Mar 12 8 PM CDT)

Second Round
    Pool E - Tokyo (Tokyo Dome)
    JPN v. NED 6 AM ET/3 AM PT (Local: Sun, Mar 12 7:00 PM JST)

Been watching Japan vs. Netherlands this morning. 6-6 in 10th, great game. Netherlands just escaped a bases loaded, one out situation with a double play.

Japan defeats the Netherlands 8-6 in 11. They have the rule starting in the 11th each team starts with runners on first and second. Japan scored both runners, Netherlands none.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Japan defeats the Netherlands 8-6 in 11. They have the rule starting in the 11th each team starts with runners on first and second. Japan scored both runners, Netherlands none.
    That was a great back-and-forth game.

Every time Japan scored first, the Netherlands replied except in the 11th inning.

What a game for Sho Nakata going 3-for-6 with five RBIs including that two-run single in the 11th.

The Dutch had a chance to win the game in the ninth after tying it with two outs and Jonathan Schoop, the man who tied the game with a single, was on second before Curt Smith struck out.

The Dutch have a score to settle with the Israelis next while Japan takes on Cuba. If both Israel and Japan win, those two teams both advance to the Championship Round in L.A. next week.

Highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc-j815ym1s
    Last edited by BroadwayBomber55; 03-12-17 at 05:47 PM.

NYYF Legend

Fernando Rodney is such a little bitc*. He celebrates with his stupid arrow dance AFTER giving up a game tying HR in 8th inning v Colombia.

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Fernando Rodney is such a little bitc*. He celebrates with his stupid arrow dance AFTER giving up a game tying HR in 8th inning v Colombia.
    I believe Fernando Rodney did that dance to try and help Colombia win and eliminate the United States from the tournament.

Anyways, to the Top of the 10th we go. DOM 3, COL 3

Colombia had a chance for a walkoff win in the ninth with runners in the corners with one out, but Minnesota Twins first baseman Reynaldo Rodriguez lined into an inning-ending double play.

NYYF Legend

Why is Betances pitching for the DR? He is born in NYC. I know he has the choice but that is crap.

NYYF Legend

Didn't that DR catcher block the plate prior to the ball getting there? Is that not a rule in the WBC?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Didn't that DR catcher block the plate prior to the ball getting there? Is that not a rule in the WBC?
    It looked legitimate to me but the Umpires have thrown all the rules out the windows. Robles took 40 seconds between pitches making him the 2nd most annoying pitcher to watch after Pedro Baez. Multiple catcher/manager/pitcher conferences allowed repeatedly in the same inning. This game tool 4 hours to reach 9 innings and is in extras innings now.

Extra inning rule in effect in the DOM-COL game.

I like the rule, but only do it during the regular season and start it in the 12th with a guy at first base, not on second and first.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Why is Betances pitching for the DR? He is born in NYC. I know he has the choice but that is crap.
    I think he said it's to honor his parents but the WBC ultra loose rules around team rosters is actually a big pet peeve of mine. I think you should have to be a citizen of the country you are representing. I mean look at this Israeli team. It's basically American's who couldn't make team USA but have a Jewish Grandmother.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

The Dominican Republic open their game against Colombia up with a five-run 11th inning to make it 8-3.

Colombia's runs allowed stat is up to 12.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    I think he said it's to honor his parents but the WBC ultra loose rules around team rosters is actually a big pet peeve of mine. I think you should have to be a citizen of the country you are representing. I mean look at this Israeli team. It's basically American's who couldn't make team USA but have a Jewish Grandmother.
    Same with team Italy which I call team Italian-American. Why hasn't Ireland and England formed a team with these loose rules?

Thread Information