+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF MVP

Is it time to revisit the hair/beard policy

Today's NY Times article, brought about due to the arrival of Clint Frazier:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/05/s...T.nav=top-news
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

Re: Is it time to revisit the hair/beard policy

Oscar Gamble had much longer hair on the Yankees than Frazier.

And I'll never understand why a mustache is not facial hair.

It seems like the rule is the rule until they let Gossage have long sideburns, Frazier have long hair, Clemens be unshaven from one start to the next, and anyone have a mustache.

Reggie and Thurman had longer hair, also. The better you are, the lighter the rules enforcement.

It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

It's been time for a long time.
    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Reggie and Thurman had longer hair, also. The better you are, the lighter the rules enforcement.

Oscar Gamble had a huge Afro when he was with the Indians, but had to cut it before he played for the Yankees. That picture of Munson is obviously from spring training, one of the many years Munson was pisssed at George and wanted to show it. That beard disappeared before the season, and the hair was probably trimmed a little, too.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Oscar Gamble had a huge Afro when he was with the Indians, but had to cut it before he played for the Yankees. That picture of Munson is obviously from spring training, one of the many years Munson was pisssed at George and wanted to show it. That beard disappeared before the season, and the hair was probably trimmed a little, too.
    I've seen photos of Oscar as a Yankee with a huge Afro but I don't know when the photo was taken.

NYYF Legend

Great article. I think Jennifer Steinbrenner needs to remove that giant stick out of her anus. The policy should be relaxed. Allow beards that are neatly trimmed (no Brian Wilson or Mike Napoli). Allow neck length hair but not full head banger length. It seems silly that the only one in the organization that still cares is the youngest daughter of the deceased owner who has little authority.

I've said it before. They are not accountants. They are are ball players.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

The article says it's never about the individual.

Except for giveaways, ads, salaries, publicity, you name it. Derek Jeter night?
    When they choose to show Warren or Hicks on a Yankee print ad instead of Sanchez or Tanaka I'll believe it.

If somebody signs a check to me for a few million I'll shave my head, dye my hair purple, grow a mohawk, or whatever else they they want me to do with my hair. I can be bought.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    If somebody signs a check to me for a few million I'll shave my head, dye my hair purple, grow a mohawk, or whatever else they they want me to do with my hair. I can be bought.
    Muggz - it's the same anywhere you go. If you get a job and they require you wear a suit and tie, guess what? You wear a suit and a tie. It's no different in this example. The Yankees' management wants their employees to not have facial hair (trimmed mustache not below the lower lip), or hair touching the collar. So employees follow the rules - or they can find employment elsewhere. It's actually pretty simple.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.Hitman23

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Muggz - it's the same anywhere you go. If you get a job and they require you wear a suit and tie, guess what? You wear a suit and a tie. It's no different in this example. The Yankees' management wants their employees to not have facial hair (trimmed mustache not below the lower lip), or hair touching the collar. So employees follow the rules - or they can find employment elsewhere. It's actually pretty simple.
    Frazier didn't agree to employment with the Yankees. He was traded there, which is a whole different situation than 99% of us. He's an indentured servant until free agency. He has no choice now, he had total choice with Cleveland.

Can he find employment in MLB elsewhere today? Absolutely not. That's why I don't buy your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Frazier didn't agree to employment with the Yankees. He was traded there, which is a whole different situation than 99% of us. He's an indentured servant until free agency. He has no choice now, he had total choice with Cleveland.

Can he find employment in MLB elsewhere today? Absolutely not. That's why I don't buy your argument.
    However, like in the business world example, he can still find employment somewhere else.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

However, like in the business world example, he can still find employment somewhere else.
    Of course. Just not in his chosen field. He could be a toll taker or any number of jobs.

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    Great article. I think Jennifer Steinbrenner needs to remove that giant stick out of her anus. The policy should be relaxed. Allow beards that are neatly trimmed (no Brian Wilson or Mike Napoli). Allow neck length hair but not full head banger length. It seems silly that the only one in the organization that still cares is the youngest daughter of the deceased owner who has little authority.

I've said it before. They are not accountants. They are are ball players.
    It's not like it was her policy though it was her Father's. I'm not against facial hair or long hair (hell my hair once upon a time was down to my shoulders) but I think it is a good policy.

I've seen photos of Oscar as a Yankee with a huge Afro but I don't know when the photo was taken.
    Faked baseball card picture:

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

So many fallacies here. I work for a bank that requires a shirt and tie every single day. I would prefer to go business casual. If it bothers me enough I could look for work at a competitor with a more relaxed dress code. I am not bound to my company for a decade like baseball players.

Once they are drafted and they sign with the Yankees they cannot just pick up and play for someone else. It is a false argument to compare baseball employment to regular employment.

The hair policy is archaic and should be revised an not be enforced by the 6th in charge of the family business. I sure hope Jennifer has other tasks besides being the hair nazi.

So many fallacies here. I work for a bank that requires a shirt and tie every single day. I would prefer to go business casual. If it bothers me enough I could look for work at a competitor with a more relaxed dress code. I am not bound to my company for a decade like baseball players.

Once they are drafted and they sign with the Yankees they cannot just pick up and play for someone else. It is a false argument to compare baseball employment to regular employment.

The hair policy is archaic and should be revised an not be enforced by the 6th in charge of the family business. I sure hope Jennifer has other tasks besides being the hair nazi.
    Fair enough, to a point. If you're talking about Yankees players under team control, then you have a point. But that's not every player- in fact it's a pretty small percentage of all of the players, if the Yankees are the only team still enforcing these guidelines.

If you are talking about players that are free agents, then they have a legitimate choice.

NYYF Legend

Fair enough, to a point. If you're talking about Yankees players under team control, then you have a point. But that's not every player- in fact it's a pretty small percentage of all of the players, if the Yankees are the only team still enforcing these guidelines.

If you are talking about players that are free agents, then they have a legitimate choice.
    Small percentage? Of the 100 +players in the Yankees system, majors & minors, the majority were drafted, traded for or signed at age 16.

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    I would buy that if it was the norm in the industry. I get your point and you are right. They need to follow the rules. The issue is the rule is stupid and outdated. This industry as a whole is not defined by your appearance outside your uniform being up to league regulations. In many industries appearance is key. Ball players are just not one of them. They roll around in the grass and dirt. They play while dealing with the weather. They sweat like pigs through the hot months. It's just not important and does nothing by having to worry about shaving and getting a haircut.

Of course if I was paid that much money and I played for the Yanks I'd certainly follow the rules. But the rules just suck. And you can see how much they are despised by watching what players do when they leave the franchise.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I would buy that if it was the norm in the industry. I get your point and you are right. They need to follow the rules. The issue is the rule is stupid and outdated. This industry as a whole is not defined by your appearance outside your uniform being up to league regulations. In many industries appearance is key. Ball players are just not one of them. They roll around in the grass and dirt. They play while dealing with the weather. They sweat like pigs through the hot months. It's just not important and does nothing by having to worry about shaving and getting a haircut.

Of course if I was paid that much money and I played for the Yanks I'd certainly follow the rules. But the rules just suck. And you can see how much they are despised by watching what players do when they leave the franchise.
    I, for one, appreciate the Yankees' rules governing appearance - I find the caveman look of many players (the entire Red Sox team during the Johnny Damon days; Brian Wilson) to be disgusting.

That having been said, I would have no issue with the Yankees relaxing the rules - appearance has to be neat, facial hair trimmed and hair no more than a couple of inches below the collar.

You make a comment about players sweating during the hot months - I don't understand why a player would wear a backwoods beard and long hair during these months, as it only makes the matters worse, not better.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

The players also wear the same uniforms but some Yankees wear stirrups that show, some wear pants so long you can't see their shoes, unbuttoned shirts, neon necklaces, too baggy or tight pants, tattoos, you get the idea.
    Uniformity isn't uniform.

Does anyone here not follow a hockey, basketball or football team because their players have facial hair?

NYYF Legend

The players also wear the same uniforms but some Yankees wear stirrups that show, some wear pants so long you can't see their shoes, unbuttoned shirts, neon necklaces, too baggy or tight pants, tattoos, you get the idea.
    Uniformity isn't uniform.

Does anyone here not follow a hockey, basketball or football team because their players have facial hair?
    Not San Jose hockey fans!

NYYF Legend

Keep it! The Yankees are always about showing class...I'm old school and I say let the hair code continue. Worry about what they are showing on the field and not what new hair style they need to show. They get paid plenty to change their look in the off season not while the season is being played.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixty one View Post
    Keep it! The Yankees are always about showing class...I'm old school and I say let the hair code continue. Worry about what they are showing on the field and not what new hair style they need to show. They get paid plenty to change their look in the off season not while the season is being played.
    To each his own.

If what they show on the field had anything to do with length of hair, now that would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post

The rule is actually not as archaic as you may think. It's a rule that puts the team above the individual.
    Why is it important to have facial hair? Probably to "express one's personality". For the Yankees, it's not about "a" player but more about the whole team.
    "Leave it to Yankees fans to be upset at having too many great players.Hitman23

Thread Information