+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: Is it time to revisit the hair/beard policy

There are not many of us oldies left here. I admit I am old school. I am all for the clean policy, clean cut hair,facial and otherwise, no tattoos and suits when in public.

I truly believe that discipline makes team togetherness and wins games.
    I will agree that the Botox won without the "clean" policy, but no one can dispute the fact that the Yankees have been the most successful franchise in sports history. I will contend that discipline and the "clean" look had a lot to do with it.

I haven't worn a suit or tie very many times since I retired, but I will admit that they made me a better executive.

My will specifies that I be buried in a Hawiian shirt, shorts and sneakers, but I still believe the clean look adds respectability and helps to gain advantage over those who dress otherwise.

I am an old fogie, and I admit it, and I enjoy that role

Keep the clean look
    Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimeyankeefan View Post
    I, for one, appreciate the Yankees' rules governing appearance - I find the caveman look of many players (the entire Red Sox team during the Johnny Damon days; Brian Wilson) to be disgusting.

That having been said, I would have no issue with the Yankees relaxing the rules - appearance has to be neat, facial hair trimmed and hair no more than a couple of inches below the collar.

You make a comment about players sweating during the hot months - I don't understand why a player would wear a backwoods beard and long hair during these months, as it only makes the matters worse, not better.
    I didn't mean to imply that having a beard and long hair makes dealing with the heat any different. I'm just saying that after a game players are a hot mess. Sweat, dirt, grass, bruises, scrapes, whatever. The heat was just another element that disturbs the "neat and professional " look they are going for. My point is they're playing a sport, not marching in a military parade or trying to land a million dollar deal with that big customer for your company. They get dirty. If you don't get dirty you didn't play hard enough. Why the choice of facial hair is even thought I don't understand.

I'm not saying that guys should be cavemen. But I don't see anything wrong with having a decent beard and longer hair.

NYYF MVP

I think the rule is very outdated and serves no purpose. The rule is based on the cultural and social politics of the 1960s and 70s when George was looking at things from the prism of his own perspective on these matters. Today, very few people care about that stuff. And if that makes a guy like Bryce Harper a tad hesitant to coming as a free agent, is it really worth it?

(For the record, I am clean shaven and keep my hair very short. No tattoos, no piercings. Very traditional looking. This is not about me.)
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
    I think the rule is very outdated and serves no purpose. The rule is based on the cultural and social politics of the 1960s and 70s when George was looking at things from the prism of his own perspective on these matters. Today, very few people care about that stuff. And if that makes a guy like Bryce Harper a tad hesitant to coming as a free agent, is it really worth it?

(For the record, I am clean shaven and keep my hair very short. No tattoos, no piercings. Very traditional looking. This is not about me.)

Can someone name a player who would not join the Yankees if it meant adhering to the hair policy?

Andy
    Yogi is a National Treasure. Let's put him in a National Hall of Fame. The man has no peers.

NYYF Legend

I can tell you the player that would turn down a contract simply because they had to shave is few and far between.

I am in the middle on this. I think the rule can be modified. I see no reason to ban goatees or beards provided they are well maintained. No Boston Red Sox Billy Goat beards.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

David Price, in an interview, before he became a free agent. He said the facial hair policy was a walk away for him.

Then, after his agent explaining to him the benefits of using the Yankees as potential leverage in a bidding war (I'm guessing), Price changed his public position.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF MVP

This was a story yesterday about CC Sabathia.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...th_cc_sab.html

Why do we even have to bother with stuff like that? No NFL team has a rule this as far as I know. Who cares, really? I just want the players on my team to play well.
    I am ready for NUMBER 28!!!

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
    This was a story yesterday about CC Sabathia.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/...th_cc_sab.html

Why do we even have to bother with stuff like that? No NFL team has a rule this as far as I know. Who cares, really? I just want the players on my team to play well.
    I care.discipline is important, and dressing and acting like a professional is a form of discipline that binds a team together.
    When was the last time you saw Yankee teammates squabbling among themselves. It happens on other teams.
    I have heard on some of these forums that team chemistry isn't important. Balderdash

Andy

NYYF Legend

Brian Wilson wouldn't sign with the Yankees but he never recovered from his injuries and was a disaster for the Dodgers. I hear he is clean shaven now.
    http://vimel.ru/e6748

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nome View Post
    There are not many of us oldies left here. I admit I am old school. I am all for the clean policy, clean cut hair,facial and otherwise, no tattoos and suits when in public.

I truly believe that discipline makes team togetherness and wins games.
    I will agree that the Botox won without the "clean" policy, but no one can dispute the fact that the Yankees have been the most successful franchise in sports history. I will contend that discipline and the "clean" look had a lot to do with it.

I haven't worn a suit or tie very many times since I retired, but I will admit that they made me a better executive.

My will specifies that I be buried in a Hawiian shirt, shorts and sneakers, but I still believe the clean look adds respectability and helps to gain advantage over those who dress otherwise.

I am an old fogie, and I admit it, and I enjoy that role

Keep the clean look
    Andy
    I completely agree with you, Andy....us "old" foggie fans need to stick together.

NYYF Legend

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    Mr Coffee: "I definitely think people are overreacting to the Arpaio pardon."

... Frazier visited the barber Friday morning. He wanted to shear away any distraction the locks may have caused. His hair -- a topic of discussion not that popular with manager Joe Girardi -- was apparently within the team's not quite totally defined hair policy. Now, Frazier is making it a non-issue.
    "It started to become a distraction," Frazier told reporters in Tampa on Friday. "I like my hair but I love playing for this organization more."
    http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/ya...gets-a-haircut
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

This is absolutely foolish. The media likes talking about a kid's medium length red hair and it's a "distraction". lol And of course Joe doesn't approve with is military hair cut.

NYYF Cy Young

It just goes to show how terrible baseball and the MLB are at marketing their stars that they have to borrow a failed one from the NFL and he's cheered on and followed by so many people despite being terrible in baseball as well. It's also not a good sign that the sport's most famous team does whatever it can to kill any semblance of a player's personality whatsoever "for the good of the team."

NYYF Legend

The Hair policy was started by George Steinbrenner in 1973. It is well established. I cannot see how Hair can be part of a players personality.The various danced and other exhibitions of a foorball player after he scores a touchdown can be considered as part of a players personality.

Years ago baseball players didn't go in for high fives, fist thrown into the air by pitchers after an important strikeout, Staring at the ball and throwing the bat up into the air after he hits a homerun. These are all part of a players personality, no??

We have accepted them, although when a batter shows up a pitcher he can expect a brush back on his next at bat.

Things change and we change with them.

I will still support the hair policy though.

I still cringe whenever a see a player of any sport have almost his entire exposed body is covered with Tats.

The old days are gone and have been replaced by the new and for the most part I embrace change.
    But I don't like the look of the Red Sox, and every time I see a football player running with the ball with hair below his neck, I cheer for the opposition tackle him violently by his hair.

Andy

Devoted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I've said it before. They are not accountants. They are are ball players.
    But they shouldn't look like ZZ Top or The Smith Brothers.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    Did you read my post? I clearly said neatly trimmed beards should be allowed but no Brian Wilson or Mike Napoli birds nests.

Quote Originally Posted by LongtimeNYYFan View Post
    reductio ad absurdum much?

No one is suggesting that these guys come out like cavemen. This isn't the argument. It's about allowing a little leeway. And the rule is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper700 View Post
    It's also not a good sign that the sport's most famous team does whatever it can to kill any semblance of a player's personality whatsoever "for the good of the team."
    and yet they trot out Yankeeographies and a neverending parade of retired numbers. They've run the franchise up until just recently with the model of having the biggest stars with the biggest contracts. It's eating your cake and having it, too.

I get the team first mentality completely. I am 100% for the no name on the jersey thing. I totally respect that somehow they are able to get these guys to accept the role they are given no matter what that may be and who they are. I loved Andrew Miller for owning the setup role like a champ when Chapman came here. Respect.

This particular rule is just flat out dumb. It makes things like hair a story. I don't want to hear about player's hair and beards. It ridiculous. Just ease up a bit. Tell these guys as long as they look reasonable then it's fine. Let them loosen up a bit.

I care.discipline is important, and dressing and acting like a professional is a form of discipline that binds a team together.
    When was the last time you saw Yankee teammates squabbling among themselves. It happens on other teams.
    I have heard on some of these forums that team chemistry isn't important. Balderdash

Andy
    Andy, with all due respect, a haircut and a shave isn't a sign of discipline. Would be great if that's all it took.

And no team squabbled more than the clean-shaven Bronx Zoo teams of the late 70's.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Andy, with all due respect, a haircut and a shave isn't a sign of discipline. Would be great if that's all it took.

And no team squabbled more than the clean-shaven Bronx Zoo teams of the late 70's.
    25 players, 25 cabs.

Andy
    Wow..

Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Muggz - it's the same anywhere you go. If you get a job and they require you wear a suit and tie, guess what? You wear a suit and a tie. It's no different in this example. The Yankees' management wants their employees to not have facial hair (trimmed mustache not below the lower lip), or hair touching the collar. So employees follow the rules - or they can find employment elsewhere. It's actually pretty simple.
    So if I am Yankee Property and refuse to cut my hair, will they give me my release to seelk employment elsewhere? Or am I forever Curt Flood?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dstoffa View Post
    So if I am Yankee Property and refuse to cut my hair, will they give me my release to seelk employment elsewhere? Or am I forever Curt Flood?
    They fined Mattingly $250 a day and benched him until he cut his hair. He cut it after 1 day on the bench. Oddly enough it occurred while Big Stein with suspended. I don't think they really enforce it in the minors as much as the majors. Fraizer brought attention to himself for his tweeting habit. Had he kept out of the spotlight little Miss Jennifer may have left him alone.

NYYF Legend

The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    They fined Mattingly $250 a day and benched him until he cut his hair. He cut it after 1 day on the bench. Oddly enough it occurred while Big Stein with suspended. I don't think they really enforce it in the minors as much as the majors. Fraizer brought attention to himself for his tweeting habit. Had he kept out of the spotlight little Miss Jennifer may have left him alone.
    Honestly, I blame the media as much as Frazier on this one - it seems to me like everyday some media blowhard was writing a story about his mop and would it pass muster.

Had the media shut up, I honestly wonder if it would have been that big a deal.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

Thread Information