+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

2017 New York Giants Thread

Giants tagged JPP today, though if a deal ultimately can't be worked out I think it's unlikely they'd then sign him for the franchise number of $17MM.

In lesser news, last week the team re-signed Zak DeOssie to a 2 year deal.

NYYF Triple Crown

Re: 2017 New York Giants Thread

Now This is interesting:

Giants Sign Geno Smith
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3001087

Is this a way of Reese saying Eli is hurt? Are they just trying to get under the Jets skin?

NYYF Legend

Someone need to be back up QB and carry a clipboard.

Saw JPP supposedly reuped on a 4 year deal

NYYF Triple Crown

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Someone need to be back up QB and carry a clipboard.

Saw JPP supposedly reuped on a 4 year deal
    But of all people why Geno Smith? Weird move by the Giants IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    They re-signed Josh Johnson too, so I assume it will be one or the other (not both) if they don't draft one.

NYYF Legend

I don't see what the problem is with Geno Smith as a backup. He is clearly more experience than Nassib who he is replacing with more upside than Johnson. Geno with better coaches and a mentor in Eli could making him a valuable piece to have if something were to happen to Eli. However it shouldn't mean that we aren't drafting a QB to eventually take over for Eli.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Papa B. View Post
    Doesn't seem weird at all to have a QB with NFL experience as a backup. Just ask Raider fans how not having a semi-competent backup to Carr worked out in keeping a BYE last year and avoiding a first round playoff exit.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Oh Eli.....

http://deadspin.com/eli-manning-aske...ets-1794320043

A civil action filed against the New York Giants, CEO John Mara, and quarterback Eli Manning contains emails that plaintiff/collector Eric Inselberg claims prove Manning knowingly passed off memorabilia as game-used with the help of equipment manager Joe Skiba.

The legal filing, submitted Apr. 11, was first reported by the New York Post. This email exchange from Apr. 27, 2010 has Manning asking Skiba for two football helmets “that can pass as game used.” The thread should be read bottom to top:

NYYF Legend

I guess Eli has his TE to throw to now.

I guess Eli has his TE to throw to now.
    A bit undersized, but I guess he is a decent run blocker as well. Would have liked to see them take an OL, but this is good.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by freebubba View Post
    A bit undersized, but I guess he is a decent run blocker as well. Would have liked to see them take an OL, but this is good.
    OL would have been good but from what I understand (and that's not much) is that this weak draft for OL so they probably didn't want to reach for one at that spot.

OL would have been good but from what I understand (and that's not much) is that this weak draft for OL so they probably didn't want to reach for one at that spot.
    True, and if there was a "sure" thing available at LT, they would have had to trade away this years and next years draft to move up to get him.

NYYF Legend

I think TE was definitely a position of need. Seems like he has the potential to contribute right away like Shockey did.

NYYF Legend

Key questions as Training Camp starts, to me. Defense should be excellent again and lead the team.

1). Will the offensive line be any good? They did not make any significant changes, so they're banking on that group development. The tackles were absolutely atrocious last season and it hurt the team. Plus McAdoo/Reese want to play this "basketball on grass" offense which devalues traditional line play somewhat. Eli took a beating last year and he's not the type of QB that can overcome poor line play (not many can, obviously).

2). Will the offense have any diversification? It was one of the worst units in the NFL last year partly because of it was bland. They amazingly sat in one formation more than 90% of the time (the "11" with the 3WR). That was a stark contrast to when McAdoo was OC under Coughlin. Strange. You would think the additions of Marshall and Engram would help there, even if they sit in that look at the same rate again.

3). Will there be an effective running game? I'm not sure McAdoo believes in it, but they do attempt to run at a fair clip. Need balance and a 4-minute offense in this league.

4). Do they have a competent kicker? Punting game and return/coverage units should be fine.

Sterling Shepard carted off with ankle injury

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I laughed.

http://deadspin.com/why-your-team-su...dspin_facebook

Why Your Team Sucks 2017: New York Giants
    Your quarterback: Oh great, here comes slack-jawed dolt Eli Manning yet again, ready to drool all over the field for another 17 weeks. He is history’s most indestructible idiot. It really is something. He is a cyborg made from discarded sweet tea bags and old hush puppies. We’ll never be rid of him. Anyway, Eli has been here for a thousand years, so you know what you’re getting: 4,000 yards, 25 TDs, a billion turnovers, and a perfect ratio of stunning victories to stunning defeats. Lather, rinse, repeat.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    This was painful to read but at least I got a chuckle out of this:

Their best pass rusher is still the dude with a lobster claw. Ereck Flowers has all the blocking ability of a ghost.

Maybe, just maybe, they will effectively address the issues with the OL before heading into next season. From what I have seen thus far, they are not inspiring confidence. At all. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. This could be a loooooong year.

NYYF Legend

It's going to be the same as last year with the o-line. Maybe they can do some things differently in terms of formations and blocking help with the new personnel at the skill positions given the addition of Marshall, the turnover at the TE position with Engram and Ellison, plus the fact that they kept a fullback this year in Smith.

So perhaps it will help that weak o-line that the offense should not be in "11" formation an absolutely mind-boggling 90% of the time again. They were predictable and bad last year on offense.

NYYF Legend

Not quite. No more Marshall Newhouse. But they have better blocking backs with a true FB on the roster and Ellison at TE. I think the running game will improve. I worry that John Jerry will cause Eli's start streak to end. I am not sure why he is starting over Brett Jones.

I hope Travis Rudolph sneaks past waives and makes it onto the PS. He is such a great story.

Blech

This teams offense is garbage. Who knew you need an OL to win.

What a BS PI call

NYYF Legend

This is just awful.

I can't believe how bad Eli is.

Thread Information