Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    NYYF Legend

Re: 2017 New York Giants Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OdiN9 View Post
    GiantsWFAN‏
    @giantswfan
    Follow Follow @giantswfan
    More
    So, NBC's Florio just said after talking to league execs that neither of the top 2 QBs are on level as last year's top 3 QBs.... That won't help the trade value of No. 2 #NFLdraft pick! #smh #giants 🏈
    giants obviously don't share your view that the pick should be traded away

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3748402

Pat Leonard

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 8:39 AM
    A rocket scientist has blasted his way into the lead to be the Giants' next head coach.
    All signs are pointing to Matt Patricia, the New England Patriots defensive coordinator with a degree in aeronautical engineering, as the man the Giants will hire to point Big Blue back in the right direction.
    The Giants' glory days saw Bills Parcells, a coach with defense as his backbone, patrolling the sidelines at the Meadowlands, with Bill Belichick as defensive coordinator, winning the franchise's first two Super Bowls in 1986 and 1990, setting the standard in North Jersey.
    But since Parcells, the Giants have hired five head coaches all with offense as their calling card: Ray Handley, Dan Reeves, Jim Fassel, Tom Coughlin and Ben McAdoo.

NYYF Legend

Patricia is going to need to clean up his unkempt look with the bushy beard backwards hat bro-dude persona that he sports.

Leonard's article seems pretty made up. He says "all signs" point to the guy being our coach, but then cites absolutely nothing to support that. He doesn't even quote or cite any unnamed sources, let alone anything more solid than that. Pretty weak.

Lombardi on his podcast said that Detroit are frontrunners for him. I guess his decision will come the day after their playoff game?
    "Owning the Yankees," Steinbrenner once said, "is like owning the Mona Lisa."

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

As a Giants and Patriots fan, I don't like the idea of Matt Patricia getting to be HC of the Giants. He hasn't shown anything (to my limited understanding of the game, especially defense) that leads me to believe he's a genius. I can't think of any Belichick coordinators who have had success away from the Patriots.

Hopefully he goes to Detroit.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    As a Giants and Patriots fan, I don't like the idea of Matt Patricia getting to be HC of the Giants. He hasn't shown anything (to my limited understanding of the game, especially defense) that leads me to believe he's a genius. I can't think of any Belichick coordinators who have had success away from the Patriots.

Hopefully he goes to Detroit.
    Nick Saban? Sure his success has all been at the college level but he sure has dominated there.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Nick Saban? Sure his success has all been at the college level but he sure has dominated there.
    Here's my thoughts on Nick Saban.

http://www.nyyfansforum.com/showthre...=1#post8436536

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    I somewhat agree. As Yogi once said when asked what makes a great coach he responded "great players"

Still it's hard to argue with his National Titles even if he isn't exactly playing on a totally level playing field.

Then again his time with Dolphins wasn't very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    I somewhat agree. As Yogi once said when asked what makes a great coach he responded "great players"

Still it's hard to argue with his National Titles even if he isn't exactly playing on a totally level playing field.

Then again his time with Dolphins wasn't very good.
    If the Dolphins had opted for Brees instead of Culpepper, Saban might still be there...that was a big oops on the Dolphins part. Although it could have been Sabans input that steered them towards Culpepper for all we know.

Having a season with Culpepper, than Joey Harrington, than Cleo Lemon...I would have booked too

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post
    If the Dolphins had opted for Brees instead of Culpepper, Saban might still be there...that was a big oops on the Dolphins part. Although it could have been Sabans input that steered them towards Culpepper for all we know.

Having a season with Culpepper, than Joey Harrington, than Cleo Lemon...I would have booked too
    I completely forgot something called 'Cleo Lemon' was a starting NFL QB once.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNick View Post

Actually it was the team doctor that failed Brees medical exam due to his shoulder as Saban wanted Brees. They lowered their contract offer to Brees and he decided to sign with the Saints for more guaranteed money. That bad decision changed NFL history because the Patriots would’ve actually had some serious divisional competition.
    God, I love Yankee fans as they're never satisfied!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I completely forgot something called 'Cleo Lemon' was a starting NFL QB once.
    Admittedly, I had to actually look up Cleo Lemon. For some reason Ray Lucas kept popping up in my head, but I knew that was before Saban

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    Actually it was the team doctor that failed Brees medical exam due to his shoulder as Saban wanted Brees. That bad decision changed NFL history because the Patriots would’ve actually had some serious divisional competition.
    I remember when all of that was happening. Many teams were legitimately concerned Brees' career was over because of his shoulder, so taking Culpepper was considered by some to be the smart move at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I remember when all of that was happening. Many teams were legitimately concerned Brees' career was over because of his shoulder, so taking Culpepper was considered by some to be the smart move at that time.
    Yeah, but Culpepper was coming back from knee surgery and he then ended up missing most of that upcoming season because of that knee while Brees played the entire season. Just a bad set of circumstances for the Dolphins as they lost a HOF QB and HC.

Giants WR coach gone too.. Good maybe some other team will drop 12 balls a game.

The next head coach of the Giants will be Josh McDaniels, Matt Patricia or Pat Shurmur, with no surprise candidate looming, and at this point all three are very much in the mix.
    https://nypost.com/2018/01/11/giants...down-to-three/

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Ny27xwschamps View Post
    Giants WR coach gone too.. Good maybe some other team will drop 12 balls a game.
    I can't help notice that the worst position coach, ST coach Tom Quinn, is still around. Either no one wants him or he has naked pictures of Mara.

Gary Myers article with why the Giants will likely choose Patricia over McDaniels.

There is a lot to like about each, but now it appears Patricia, the mad scientist defensive mastermind, has separated himself from McDaniels, the state-of-the-art offensive whiz kid constantly in Tom Brady's ear and occasionally his face, as the Giants coaching search reaches the final stages.

"If they don't hire Matt Patricia, I'd be very surprised," a source told the Daily News on Thursday. "It fits the narrative."
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.3752117

Rosen would be my pick at 2. I saw only one game of him. But he sounds like the most ready QB in this draft. Talent isn't the question but health is. I'll take my chances.
    The more I read of Darnold, the more he sounds like Davis Webb. In terms of what he needs to work on. He is definitely a project.

Quote Originally Posted by SLURPEE View Post
    Rosen would be my pick at 2. I saw only one game of him. But he sounds like the most ready QB in this draft. Talent isn't the question but health is. I'll take my chances.
    The more I read of Darnold, the more he sounds like Davis Webb. In terms of what he needs to work on. He is definitely a project.
    I also saw one game of Rosen where he looked good. Not enough to formulate much of an opinion.
    I saw three each of Darnold and Mayfield, still not enough to make a sweeping judgment, but in that sample size, Mayfield was clearly better. He seemed to read defenses very well. Darnold looked careless.

Based on scouting reports, if Mayfield was 3 inches taller, he'd be the number one pick.

I'm reading Darnold has bad mechanics, sloppy footwork, doesn't read defenses well, didn't work under center at USC-so has to learn that, not the best accuracy, but has a NFL bodyetc... I mean this the same stuff I hear about Webb.
    Starting to think Darnold is a bit overhyped.

Like I said, I'd take my chances with Rosen. Who knows, maybe he ends up having a pretty healthy career.

There are reports that both Patriots coordinators are turning down the Giants and headed to Detroit and Indy. Could the reason being they don't want to be stuck with Eli? If so then it's on ownership.

NYYF Legend

They can always bench Eli

Just got a notification from NFL app saying they're gonna name Pat Shurmur head coach.

Thread Information