+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    NYYF Legend

Re: The Official Weather Thread - 2017

16-20 inches........right on target for the weather person........very cold so light powder makes shoveling is a breeze......

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    sadly, I'm not that blessed.
    If you were, you'd never leave the house.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by montrealer View Post
    Rye on the rocks........don`t do mix drinks.....
    How about RocknRye?
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    If you were, you'd never leave the house.
    the real question is what I'd do with the final product. If you follow.

So the NWS lied to us for our own good. They kept a forecast for my zip of 23" when it turned out to be 9" because they thought I might get confused? What horsemanure. Thank to these a-holes, I took my open tractor out into the middle of a storm in hazardous conditions when I could have just waited until the end and done it more comfortably and safely. (I can plow up to about 10" witn my 50 year old Farmall 140, so if the storm is bigger I have to plow during the storm or risk getting stuck). I froze my butt off in the snow and wind on an open tractor for over two hours thanks to these jerkoffs.

I want to kick someone in the you-know-whats. I HATE plowing during the storm.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/mendham-...ons-fell-short

On Monday, the National Weather Service's computer models began showing snowfall projections for the region were wrong, a spokeswoman for the federal agency said.

Instead of letting snow-fearing citizens in central and southern New Jersey and New York City know they were only in for about 4 to 8 inches of snow, though, National Weather Service officials decided not to update snowfall projections until morning, once the storm had already hit.

Their reasoning? In short: Sleet and freezing rain are also dangerous, and it's best not to confuse people.

"This was the prudent thing to do," an NWS spokeswoman told Patch in a statement, "as making a dramatic change in the snowfall forecast and risking having to flip back and forth could produce an unwelcome result of less readiness and vigilance."

"There was still going to be a large impact on the morning commute in many areas," she said, "despite the lower snowfall beginning to show up in some, but not all, of the forecasts."

The service's head forecast honcho said in an interview with the Associated Press that telling people the truth about what kind of weather to expect could end up causing what is called "the windshield wiper effect." Dramatically changing a forecast can cause more confusion than clarity, Greg Carbin, chief of forecast operations at the Weather Prediction Center, told the AP.

"The nature of the beast is that there's always uncertainty in every forecast and we have to get better at describing that," Carbin said.
    [My bold and underline added.]

Dickwads...

EDIT: Here is another story:

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

And another quote, in baseball terms, appropriately:

"The perception of 'bust' is that it didn't materialize for New York in the manner expected. Much of the expected snow fell as sleet," Shepherd said in an email. "To me, ice is a far greater hazard. If a pitcher throws a strike down the center of the plate or just off the outside corner, it's still a strike. "

---
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

that's dumb, it's supposed to be meteorologists (ie men/women of science) running the NWS. They are supposed to report their findings, regardless of consequence.

People need to get fire over this

In other news, potentially 3-6 more inches on tap this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    that's dumb, it's supposed to be meteorologists (ie men/women of science) running the NWS. They are supposed to report their findings, regardless of consequence.

People need to get fire over this

In other news, potentially 3-6 more inches on tap this weekend

NWS says likely <1" , max of 2" for me. Should I believe them?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    [/B]
    NWS says likely <1" , max of 2" for me. Should I believe them?
    accuweather has me for 1-3. They called the last storm for me at around a foot which is what it ended up as, so I'll go with them.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

I understand (but disagree with) where the NWS is coming from, and I always defend meteorologists against baseless attacks - that was a bad decision on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    I understand (but disagree with) where the NWS is coming from, and I always defend meteorologists against baseless attacks - that was a bad decision on their part.
    Thank you, Ryan.

All I want for my birthday on Tuesday is a nice 70-degree day. It likely will be over 90 again. It is supposed to cool off to the low 80s the next day, but that's not good enough, dammit.

More snow tomorrow. Supposed to be getting warmer mid March, not colder. Some day moving back south! Watching these ST games in Florida and Arizona is fun but torture.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    All I want for my birthday on Tuesday is a nice 70-degree day. It likely will be over 90 again. It is supposed to cool off to the low 80s the next day, but that's not good enough, dammit.
    Everyone else is complaining about all the terrible snow and you're upset because it's warm. Pffft. Get out of here with that sht.

I would take 90 degrees over snow every single time. I'll take 99 degrees over snow every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Everyone else is complaining about all the terrible snow and you're upset because it's warm. Pffft. Get out of here with that sht.

I would take 90 degrees over snow every single time. I'll take 99 degrees over snow every single time.
    It's not just warm. It's hot. I'd prefer snow.

NYYF Legend

14 day forecast other than Wednesday has us in the 40s-50s range...........looks like Winter is finally phizzzzzzing out........let the flooding begin......this is the most snow I have ever seen at the Lake House..........

On another note.....all my friends in the S.Carolina region have lost everything garden related with the extreme cold this pass weekend...........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

About 7" of wet, heavy snow this morning out here in Colorado. We desperately need the moisture, but my trees are not happy with all the additional weight they're holding. Four big branches came down in last week's snow, and I'm working feverishly to save the rest of the trees.

April in Colorado is our second-snowiest month. Strange weather out here. It's snowing hard today, will be in the 40s tomorrow, and the 60s or 70s on Thursday. By the weekend, there won't be a trace of the snow left.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    About 7" of wet, heavy snow this morning out here in Colorado. We desperately need the moisture, but my trees are not happy with all the additional weight they're holding. Four big branches came down in last week's snow, and I'm working feverishly to save the rest of the trees.

April in Colorado is our second-snowiest month. Strange weather out here. It's snowing hard today, will be in the 40s tomorrow, and the 60s or 70s on Thursday. By the weekend, there won't be a trace of the snow left.
    thank god i am in cali today..

NYYF Legend

Natural tree trimming - the weak are crushed and the strong survive

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Natural tree trimming - the weak are crushed and the strong survive
    I'd prefer for the weak to NOT be crushed, particularly in my back yard.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

I'd prefer for the weak to NOT be crushed, particularly in my back yard.
    no doubt, might be worth your while to get one of those 20 foot painters poles to knock down some of that stuff

Thread Information