+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 70 FirstFirst ... 17 57 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1727

Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jmg32 View Post
    Yeah, but he's not in the lineup to get walks. With his strikeout rate, and considering he's not much of a threat to steal, he's only valuable in the lineup when he's getting hits and homers.

With each passing day it looks less and less likely that he will just magically work his way out of this slump. I think a few days away to clear his head would be just what the doctor ordered. With how he's hitting, it's not like it's a major hit to our offensive production.

sitting judge won't help him he is not the only player struggling in this lineup.. sanchez holiday when he was playing.... you would think every player would go to a hot streak after a slump.. judge is way due.. but they keep saying he just a fraction off his swing from the first half.. if it does return it has to be magically...you don't go from first half mvp to a guy hitting 140 for more than 20 games...

He's still getting on base more than league average

Always play him

NYYF Legend

I feel like the whole "longest streak of games with a K" thing is in his head
    help feed the hungry:

www.thehungersite.com

NYYF Legend

I think with his 0'fer today, Judge is near the .170 mark since the All-star break. How long can you continue to bat him so high in the order and at what point do you not call this just a slump that he is in?

Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    I think with his 0'fer today, Judge is near the .170 mark since the All-star break. How long can you continue to bat him so high in the order and at what point do you not call this just a slump that he is in?
    He should drop to 5th in the lineup imo.

It is a slump though. He's just missing his pitches and fouls them off. Eventually things will turn around, but he's not a .330 hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post

It is a slump though. He's just missing his pitches and fouls them off. Eventually things will turn around, but he's not a .330 hitter.
    Agreed, but I would drop him down to 6th with Hicks and Sanchez batting 3rd and 4th respectively.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

I agree that he is not a .330 hitter but using the second half as a barometer, he is not a .170 hitter either. Therein lies the problem, how does Judge fix whatever problems he is having now?

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    Agreed, but I would drop him down to 6th with Hicks and Sanchez batting 3rd and 4th respectively.
    Didi batting 2nd?

I agree that he is not a .330 hitter but using the second half as a barometer, he is not a .170 hitter either. Therein lies the problem, how does Judge fix whatever problems he is having now?
    I don't know how to fix it, but it reminds me of when A-rod was in a major slump. You saw him just miss a bunch of pitches that he seemingly would destroy before the slump. His swing right now doesn't seem as short and compact as it was earlier in the season.

NYYF Legend

Didi batting 2nd?

I don't know how to fix it, but it reminds me of when A-rod was in a major slump. You saw him just miss a bunch of pitches that he seemingly would destroy before the slump. His swing right now doesn't seem as short and compact as it was earlier in the season.
    Cone was talking about some sabermetric stats during the game and he said that prior to the break that Judge was slugging something like 1.400 on pitches middle middle. And that since the break, that Judge was slugging something like .700 on those same types of pitches.

Cone was talking about some sabermetric stats during the game and he said that prior to the break that Judge was slugging something like 1.400 on pitches middle middle. And that since the break, that Judge was slugging something like .700 on those same types of pitches.
    That's pretty much why I think he will break out of it. It's not like the pitchers are pitching him that much differently. He is just missing his pitches.

NYYF Triple Crown

I know there's no evidence to show the correlation between HR Derby and Judge's slump, but OMG do I hate that useless showcase of non-baseball.

Didi batting 2nd?
    I'd bat either Headley or Bad Frazier 2nd due to their OBP, with Didi batting 5th.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Joe Hardy reverted back to Joe Boyd. I blame Mr. Applegate.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

NYYF Legend

That's pretty much why I think he will break out of it. It's not like the pitchers are pitching him that much differently. He is just missing his pitches.
    It's both. Pitchers are pitching him differently but he's also missing pitches that he was murdering prior to the ASB.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay1123 View Post
    He's still getting on base more than league average

Always play him
    i wouldn't have an issue with him getting a couple of days off.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    It's both. Pitchers are pitching him differently but he's also missing pitches that he was murdering prior to the ASB.

if judge hits those hit me pitches he gets every game.. his ave will be higher more home runs rbi's less strikeouts...

The problem with Judge is no one knows what his "normal" is. Last season he was a strikeout machine and overmatched. The first half of this season he made an amazing transformation into an elite hitter. Although he still struck out a bunch he simply did not miss hittable pitches. The second half of this season has been a repeat of last season and now he routinely misses hittable pitches.

I don't think there is any question Judge could not keep up with the pace he set in the first half. It was not sustainable given his high strikeout rate. The question now is what is sustainable for him. Is he our #3 hitter for the next ten years or is he our garden variety power hitter who strikes out way too much to be a part of the team's long term future. Let's face it no one knows for sure how this is going to play out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
    The problem with Judge is no one knows what his "normal" is. Last season he was a strikeout machine and overmatched. The first half of this season he made an amazing transformation into an elite hitter. Although he still struck out a bunch he simply did not miss hittable pitches. The second half of this season has been a repeat of last season and now he routinely misses hittable pitches.

I don't think there is any question Judge could not keep up with the pace he set in the first half. It was not sustainable given his high strikeout rate. The question now is what is sustainable for him. Is he our #3 hitter for the next ten years or is he our garden variety power hitter who strikes out way too much to be a part of the team's long term future. Let's face it no one knows for sure how this is going to play out.
    if you look at a you tube video his first 20 home runs this year and the way he hits now you will see what a difference he is so off balance right now compared to the first half...

NYYF Legend

I think Girardi should give him a couple of games off. He looks lost and like toast.
    GO YANKS
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 20 23 32 37 42 44 46 49 51

Give him like 5 days off and send him down to a boot camp to fix all his mechanics up. Watch every swing over and over again. Watch the YES Network replays. Should be no excuse not to break out of a slump

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TheBamTino24 View Post
    I think Girardi should give him a couple of games off. He looks lost and like toast.
    He needs to be dropped in the order at the very least. The guy is a rookie, not a proven vet who gets the benefit of the doubt. As someone said above, "what is his normal?" I think dropping him down might take some pressure off and get him tracked. Even Bernie was dropped when he was a rookie and sucking hard. A vet player came to him and said, "the next spot from here Bambi is the bench and AAA."

Hate to say it, but than is the reality of baseball. It is a game of adjustments. The pitchers have adjusted. Mr. Judge's turn.

Oh, and this is on the coaches as well. You have a guy with obviously immense talent. If you can't coach this guy up. . .
    Jay Buhner for Ken Phelps!?!?

Judge had the greatest statistical 1st half of any rookie position player during the modern era. What we're seeing is the gravity of regression taking effect. The point about his "normal" is actually a good point. We may not really know that until he has 2 or 3 seasons under his belt.

This is an extended slump, but it's not like elite players are immune to these things. Talks of benching him for multiple games is dumb as hell. That accomplishes nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by teknetic View Post
    This is an extended slump, but it's not like elite players are immune to these things. Talks of benching him for multiple games is dumb as hell. That accomplishes nothing.
    I don't think benching him is the right answer either, but calling the ideas of other posters "dumb as hell" is not how we should be phrasing this disagreement.

While I don't think benching him will solve anything, I do think they need to slide him down in the order.

NYYF Legend

So not only are pitchers throwing him more pitches higher in the zone, umps are calling strikes differently on him as well. No wonder Judge looks so confused at the plate:
    http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/p...in-second-half
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

Thread Information