+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Zimmers' Helmet View Post
    George King.
    Equally as calm as ClownPickle ~(+/- 1)

Quote Originally Posted by JDPNYY View Post
    George King.

I know, but Cashman's quote is kind of disturbing.

Judge has completely outperformed Hicks this spring but to hear Cashman say it, Hicks has been every bit as good.

If that's what he really thinks, then I hate to say it but Judge is going to get the shaft.

Oh, crap.

“We never said it was going to be Judge,” general manager Brian Cashman told The Post at Spectrum Field before the Yankees beat the Phillies 5-0 Friday. “Hicks is a young man with a lot to prove. He is having a great camp on offense and defense. Judge is having a good camp, too. I know it’s early.”
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

NYYF Legend

I know, but Cashman's quote is kind of disturbing.

Judge has completely outperformed Hicks this spring but to hear Cashman say it, Hicks has been every bit as good.

If that's what he really thinks, then I hate to say it but Judge is going to get the shaft.
    Cashman is the only GM that can't ever admit he made a bad deal. That's why Hicks will still be here. No GM is perfect. But Cashman thinks he is.

NYYF Legend

Isen't Judge batting over .300 this spring. I am sure Hicks not near that number.

Quote Originally Posted by ymike673 View Post
    Isen't Judge batting over .300 this spring. I am sure Hicks not near that number.
    Actually, they're both having a good spring. Judge is better, while being our groomed prospect. Hicks was supposed to be our 4th OF, but maybe this is the part where we mess with our young prospect's head? It seems to be a tradition here!

Judgie: .346/.433/.654/1.087

Hicksie: .261/.346/.565/.911

No, we won't trade Gardy before opening day. But, I guess this would be a good time to discuss how it will happen, again.
    It won't be long before we can all forget Cano and realize that Castro can be everything Robinson was for us. - Retired_Doc

Cashman is the only GM that can't ever admit he made a bad deal. That's why Hicks will still be here. No GM is perfect. But Cashman thinks he is.
    It's not a bad deal. The problem is he thinks Hicks has crazy good upside.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Actually, they're both having a good spring. Judge is better, while being our groomed prospect. Hicks was supposed to be our 4th OF, but maybe this is the part where we mess with our young prospect's head? It seems to be a tradition here!

No, we won't trade Gardy before opening day. But, I guess this would be a good time to discuss how it will happen, again.

So Judge beating Hicks in all those stats (almost 80 points better in BA) and of course much better power than Hicks will ever show but Cashman considers sending Judge down and using the guy he traded for to be the 4th OF as the starting RF for a team that will be in a rebuilding year. Only in Yankeeland could this happen. Good thing Hicks is not a catcher. Cash might of considered sending down Sanchez.

Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    Judges contact rate is better and he has a 1.010 OPS through spring but all the Yankee writers want to harp on CC's beard and Clints hair. Buncha gossip rags these days.

The fact that Clints having a solid spring no one would know either because everything written about him is about his hair. It's a joke.
    This is one of the reasons in the hair policy thread I listed why I can't stand it. Because every time someone comes to the Yankees that has historically had facial hair or not a military haircut it's a story. It's so, damn, stupid. It should not be a story.

Relax the policy. As long as it's reasonable let it fly and move on. It's irritating how much I see these stories.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    This is one of the reasons in the hair policy thread I listed why I can't stand it. Because every time someone comes to the Yankees that has historically had facial hair or not a military haircut it's a story. It's so, damn, stupid. It should not be a story.

Relax the policy. As long as it's reasonable let it fly and move on. It's irritating how much I see these stories.
    Why not modify the policy. Don't see a problem with slightly long hair or even a moderate beard.

Why not modify the policy. Don't see a problem with slightly long hair or even a moderate beard.
    Neither do I. It's an outdated policy which serves no purpose. Except as a distraction when someone isn't perfectly groomed.

Apologies if posted already but ugh.

http://www.yankees101.com/2017/03/11...going-on-here/

The Yankees will not start Aaron Judge in right field on Opening Day and James Kaprielian will pitch at some point in Spring Training.

If the reports are true, both decisions represent a complete turnabout from what most observers have thought the team’s plans for both players were, at least before yesterday. Let’s do Judge first and then we’ll tackle Kaprielian later today.

If this were George instead of Hal, Cashman’s move to throw Judge aside in favor of Hicks would last for all of about twenty seconds

In a well-documented piece, the report on the Judge switch comes from George King of the New York Post.The gist of the story is that Aaron Hicks “deserves” a chance to prove himself in a Yankees uniform, leaving Judge as the odd man out, at least for now.
    http://yanksgoyard.com/2017/03/11/ya...an-drops-bomb/

“We never said it was going to be Judge, Hicks is a young man with a lot to prove. He is having a great camp on offense and defense. Judge is having a good camp, too. I know it’s early.”
    It’s not early, Brian. Both players have been in camp for a month now. After yesterday’s win over the Phillies, Judge is batting .346 with a .433 OBP and a .654 slugging average. By comparison, Hicks is hitting .261, .346, and .565 in the same respective categories.
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Yeah all I had to do was scroll up a few posts. Sorry.

Furious if true though. Horrible judgement. (No pun intended. Unhappy accident)
    ”What people call love is just a chemical reaction that compels animals to breed. It hits hard, Morty, then it slowly fades.”

Dude, whoever wrote that "story" is awful at writing and lacking in baseball knowledge.

First off, the King piece said that there is a competition between Judge/Hicks. It didn't state Judge wouldn't start opening day as that BS blogger made up. Nauseating that Cashman is still tauting Hicks's sorry ass, for sure, but nothing's been decided.

Secondly, having Kap appear in a ST game is not nearly the surprise or revelation this genius thinks it is. He pitched in the AFL and was hitting 94-97 over extended innings.

Finally, he stated Matt Harvey's agent was Steve Boras. lol... I rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    Dude, whoever wrote that "story" is awful at writing and lacking in baseball knowledge.

First off, the King piece said that there is a competition between Judge/Hicks. It didn't state Judge wouldn't start opening day as that BS blogger made up. Nauseating that Cashman is still tauting Hicks's sorry ass, for sure, but nothing's been decided.

Secondly, having Kap appear in a ST game is not nearly the surprise or revelation this genius thinks it is. He pitched in the AFL and was hitting 94-97 over extended innings.

Finally, he stated Matt Harvey's agent was Steve Boras. lol... I rest my case.
    that little thrashing of my breaking news made my morning. Almost as much as this cup of coffee I'm about to have.

Thank you :cheers:

NYYF Legend

Two thoughts:

You have a valid point. With 3 weeks left I think it's a good idea to use competition as a motivator for Judge. Why anoint him a starter now? - perhaps he'll lose focus and be thinking about opening day rather than the everyday task at hand: having good ABs and not striking out so much.

I'm hoping there's something going on with the White Sox and Jose Quintana. Building up Hicks' value and including him in a trade package would be a good strategy. Hicks has experience playing in the central division, is young & affordable, and the White Sox really don't have an established CFer or a replacement for Melky Cabrera after 2017.

(Here's a chance for me to propose another package for Quintana & David Robertson: Jorge Mateo, Aaron Hicks, Rob Refsnyder, Luis Cessa, Chad Green & Albert Abreu. This opens up 3 valuable spots on the 40-man roster and makes the Yankees a divisional contender without altering plans for the future.)
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

NYYF Legend

I love the rule..I do think they will modify it though. I hope they don't but with the popularity of facial hair can see it happening.

I completely agree. The hair and beard policy is dated, and yes, discriminatory.
    It's 2017. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a nicely groomed beard or long hair.

I don't care about appearance - I care about performance.

NYYF Legend

I completely agree. The hair and beard policy is dated, and yes, discriminatory.
    It's 2017. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a nicely groomed beard or long hair.

I don't care about appearance - I care about performance.
    Perhaps fangraphs should start keeping stats comparing players with long hair and beards versus short hair and clean shaven
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

Judge needs to perform a back breaker on Hicks and rid Cashman of his options.

Apart from that presumptuous mind-reading comment, how do you know this is what's at issue here, i.e., that if Hicks stays and Judge goes to SWB it's because of some refusal on Cash's part to admit he made a bad deal?

Why can it not be because he, Joe, other coaches all agree that there's something they (the guys who get paid to make the judgments) see in Hicks and Judge that we (the guys who get paid zilch for our baseball judgments) are unable to see?

There's a reasonable argument to be made that Judge's inexperience + his lousy K-record last season + what looks (in the games I've watched) to be some tentativeness at the plate might lead the GM to say, Nahh, not quite ready yet. Better to try our luck with the guy who's been around the block, however shakily, especially since we can't afford to have April 2017 resemble April 2018.

Yankee fans are properly attached to all these prospects, but last August/September's Judge was nothing to write home about. If he gets sent to AAA it's more likely because he's done nothing to lay any Cashman doubts to rest in any decided manner.

In any case, it's still only 14 March.

Quote Originally Posted by Bauer View Post
    Apart from that presumptuous mind-reading comment, how do you know this is what's at issue here, i.e., that if Hicks stays and Judge goes to SWB it's because of some refusal on Cash's part to admit he made a bad deal?

Why can it not be because he, Joe, other coaches all agree that there's something they (the guys who get paid to make the judgments) see in Hicks and Judge that we (the guys who get paid zilch for our baseball judgments) are unable to see?

There's a reasonable argument to be made that Judge's inexperience + his lousy K-record last season + what looks (in the games I've watched) to be some tentativeness at the plate might lead the GM to say, Nahh, not quite ready yet. Better to try our luck with the guy who's been around the block, however shakily, especially since we can't afford to have April 2017 resemble April 2018.

Yankee fans are properly attached to all these prospects, but last August/September's Judge was nothing to write home about. If he gets sent to AAA it's more likely because he's done nothing to lay any Cashman doubts to rest in any decided manner.

In any case, it's still only 14 March.
    What other conclusion should one draw when ownership, the GM and the manager state the the starting RF job is going to be an open competition awarded to the player who earns it during spring training, only for the GM to turn around and state that the player who is clearly winning that competition may not get the job after all in favor of the player with inferior production?

Combine that with Cashman's track record of giving a lot more rope to his questionable acquisitions (i.e. Mitre, Drew and Hicks), no matter how ineffective they are, than he gives to his own prospects, and it's easy to see why many feel this way.

NYYF Legend

What other conclusion should one draw when ownership, the GM and the manager state the the starting RF job is going to be an open competition awarded to the player who earns it during spring training, only for the GM to turn around and state that the player who is clearly winning that competition may not get the job after all in favor of the player with inferior production?

Combine that with Cashman's track record of giving a lot more rope to his questionable acquisitions (i.e. Mitre, Drew and Hicks), no matter how ineffective they are, than he gives to his own prospects, and it's easy to see why many feel this way.
    Roberts too. Maybe in a past season you could make a case for sending Judge down because Yankees were a viable contender but this will be a transitional season. It's the best time to let Judge be the rightfielder.

Thread Information