+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 115
  1. #26

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Best win the RF job. We need to start disposing of Ells and Gardner.
    They are literally the same player. I'm sick of them. I wish it was easy though. I'd be satisfied getting rid of one for now, but preferably both

  2. #27
    NYYF Legend

    ojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    baltimore, md

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post
    They are literally the same player. I'm sick of them. I wish it was easy though. I'd be satisfied getting rid of one for now, but preferably both
    Cashman's failure is his lack of moving Gardner. That's why he tosses out the cookie about Gardner. It's to bait people. Ellsbury isn't going anywhere.
    If money is a science, then it is a dark science...it has gone on developing...by its own rules. Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

  3. #28
    NYYF HOF

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Cashman's failure is his lack of moving Gardner.

    I disagree. I think the organization (not Cashman) made a mistake when deciding to offer Gardner an extension after signing Ellsbury.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  4. #29
    Pinpoint False1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Arizona

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    I disagree. I think the organization (not Cashman) made a mistake when deciding to offer Gardner an extension after signing Ellsbury.
    I'd say you got that backwards. The Gardner extension was a good move. The Ellsbury signing that preceded it was terrible.

  5. #30

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ClownPickle View Post
    Best win the RF job. We need to start disposing of Ells and Gardner.
    Huge respect your Yankee and overall baseball opinions and observations. I'm kinda glad you changed your mind (I think?) about Gardner.



  6. #31
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'd say you got that backwards. The Gardner extension was a good move. The Ellsbury signing that preceded it was terrible.
    Yeah, it's beating a dead horse at this point but there was simply no logical reason to give Ellsbury that contract. The smarter move would have been to extend Gardner and keep him in CF. Then they could have used the money they gave Ellsbury to address other needs or just save it until they get under the luxury tax threshold. The Ellsbury signing was dumb on multiple levels.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  7. #32
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I'd say you got that backwards. The Gardner extension was a good move. The Ellsbury signing that preceded it was terrible.
    As it appears now, yes. They took a gamble with Ells and lost, but when he's firing on all cylinders he's the best player on the field. Problem is he only fires for a couple of weeks at a time and takes a couple of months off in between.

    As for Gardner, he was signed at low cost and leads the team in runs scored year in year out, and provides great defense, so his extension has worked out fine. His time is almost up though....the team is going to move on without him being a big piece.
    Let the kids play.

  8. #33
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    As it appears now, yes. They took a gamble with Ells and lost, but when he's firing on all cylinders he's the best player on the field. Problem is he only fires for a couple of weeks at a time and takes a couple of months off in between.

    As for Gardner, he was signed at low cost and leads the team in runs scored year in year out, and provides great defense, so his extension has worked out fine. His time is almost up though....the team is going to move on without him being a big piece.
    Gambled? That implied there was some upside potential.

    It was obvious that 2011 was a a career year aberration that was unlikely to ever be repeated. I hated the contract from day 1.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  9. #34

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Gambled? That implied there was some upside potential.

    It was obvious that 2011 was a a career year aberration that was unlikely to ever be repeated. I hated the contract from day 1.
    Ditto. Hated the contract. Lol. It was such a huge overpay...

  10. #35
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    ells was seen to have power potential, based on a few faulty assumptions that were, at the time, arguable.

    1. aging curve of players based on data from the steroids era.
    2. his one season of 30 homers seen as indication of his power upside.
    3. yankee stadium

    they definitely underestimated how his fragility would impact his actual performance, and how it would cripple the power upside.
    always reasonable

  11. #36
    NYYF Legend

    longtimeyankeefan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    The eternal state of optimism that the Yankees will win it all

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    2. his one season of 30 homers seen as indication of his power upside.
    Different situation, but I really hope that fans don't expect Sanchez to be kracken 50 bombs a year going forward.

    While I love the potential of his power, I would be happy with 20-25 a season from him. I would much prefer he maintain a high BA and OBP than be a .230 hitter kracken 40+ bombs a year.

    Just my personal opinion.
    Forgive me for taking the Contrarian view

  12. #37
    NYYF Legend

    THEBOSS84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Very impressed with his improved contact rates this ST. I am pulling so hard for Judge. He could mean so much to the future of this franchise

  13. #38

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Very impressed with his improved contact rates this ST. I am pulling so hard for Judge. He could mean so much to the future of this franchise
    Agreed. He does seem like an easy guy to root for. Across the board I like this crop of young players.
    "Baseball is about hope, not confidence." -- rajah

  14. #39

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    ells was seen to have power potential, based on a few faulty assumptions that were, at the time, arguable.

    1. aging curve of players based on data from the steroids era.
    2. his one season of 30 homers seen as indication of his power upside.
    3. yankee stadium

    they definitely underestimated how his fragility would impact his actual performance, and how it would cripple the power upside.
    Yep, I remember there was a crew that believed his swing was made for NYS and could be hitting 20+ bombs a season. Even though he hit 16 his first season here (2nd highest in career), he's averaged ~10 HR's a season over his 3 years here.

    OTOH, I have no complaints about his durability as he has surpassed what my realistic expectations were. He's averaged 136 games, 587 plate appearances, and 526 AB's during his 3 seasons here. He's not an Iron Horse, but he hasn't been a Teixeira, either.

    That being said, I hated his signing from day 1.
    George, Gabe, Stick >>> Hal, Randy, Cash

  15. #40
    crescat scientia awy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    the games played number is already low, but it also obscures all those games he was playing hurt. huge stretches of negative play
    always reasonable

  16. #41

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Very impressed with his improved contact rates this ST. I am pulling so hard for Judge. He could mean so much to the future of this franchise
    This.

    Btw, I was sad to hear your strong impression that Frazier is apparently a giant DB. I'm not really surprised if that's the case. I am disappointed.

  17. #42
    NYYF HOF

    JOBA RULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yankee Universe

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    This.

    Btw, I was sad to hear your strong impression that Frazier is apparently a giant DB. I'm not really surprised if that's the case. I am disappointed.
    Frazier is an awesome dude...Spoken to him on a few occasions, he really is a good kid. He carries himself different, he has a swagger and a confident way about him....Doesn't mean he's a bad person. Yankees fans will love him...the way he plays and the way he's going to piss off the Fenway faithful. They are going to HATE that kid.

    I can't wait until he comes up....Has to work on his K rate this year.
    FRANCESA >> KAY
    FIRE LEVINE

  18. #43
    Get Off My Lawn. Maynerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Colorado Springs

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lou_14 View Post
    Across the board I like this crop of young players.
    I generally don't watch a lot of Spring Training games. This year, I've been trying to catch all of them, because it's fun watching our future on the field. I don't ever remember being this excited about the NEXT generation of Yankees.

    "But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

  19. #44

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    I agree. I think it is in part because there are so many of them, and in part because there are not many exciting veterans on whom to focus.

  20. #45

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JOBA RULES View Post
    Frazier is an awesome dude...Spoken to him on a few occasions, he really is a good kid. He carries himself different, he has a swagger and a confident way about him....Doesn't mean he's a bad person. Yankees fans will love him...the way he plays and the way he's going to piss off the Fenway faithful. They are going to HATE that kid.
    That was the rep I had of him until TheBo basically said Frazier big-timed young fans on several occasions. Somebody's wrong about his overall temperament.

  21. #46
    NYYF HOF

    JOBA RULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yankee Universe

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Melancynic View Post
    That was the rep I had of him until TheBo basically said Frazier big-timed young fans on several occasions. Somebody's wrong about his overall temperament.
    Surprising and sad to hear. Read so many things about him being such a good kid with the different things he's done to help people and he's been nothing but nice in my interactions with him. Could tell he was a confident kid but I didn't think that was a bad thing. Makes you wonder if him coming here and getting so much attention got to his head.
    FRANCESA >> KAY
    FIRE LEVINE

  22. #47
    NYYF Legend

    flymick24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    What's it to you?

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    Very impressed with his improved contact rates this ST. I am pulling so hard for Judge. He could mean so much to the future of this franchise
    does your wife know this, or do you wait until she's asleep?
    help feed the hungry:

    www.thehungersite.com

  23. #48
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Judge had another hit, and a walk, today so his solid spring continued. Hopefully this translates into a productive 2017 season and all the strikeout fears come to naught.

  24. #49
    Movin' on Bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    The Boonies

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    Judge had another hit, and a walk, today so his solid spring continued. Hopefully this translates into a productive 2017 season and all the strikeout fears come to naught.
    I hope he's making the progress we're all looking for, but I've watched many years of spring training and have seen countless players rake in Florida then flail in New York. Seems the only thing that really matters in ST is doing well enough to make the opening day squad. We usually know what the hitters are doing at about 100 PAs into the season...around the first week in May.
    Let the kids play.

  25. #50
    NYYF HOF

    JOBA RULES's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yankee Universe

    Re: The Official 2017 Aaron Judge Performance Thread

    Judges contact rate is better and he has a 1.010 OPS through spring but all the Yankee writers want to harp on CC's beard and Clints hair. Buncha gossip rags these days.

    The fact that Clints having a solid spring no one would know either because everything written about him is about his hair. It's a joke.
    FRANCESA >> KAY
    FIRE LEVINE

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 12 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 10 guests)

  1. awy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts