+ Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25 65 72 73 74 75
Results 1,851 to 1,860 of 1860
  1. #1851
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Orange County

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread


  2. #1852
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    Brett Gardner is at his best when he slaps the ball to the left side. If he really wants to get back to the playoffs he'll make sure his OBP is >.350 and that he's stealing bases.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  3. #1853

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    The offense could easily be a division winning offense. The problem is the pitching. Besides Tanaka, we have a bunch of question marks. If Pineda and Severino live up to their potential and form a very good 1-2-3 of the rotation, and if Sabathia doesn't implode along with whoever the 5th starter will be then we should have a good chance of winning the division. But those are are big ifs. And this is without taking into account injuries.

  4. #1854

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks12009 View Post
    The offense could easily be a division winning offense. The problem is the pitching. Besides Tanaka, we have a bunch of question marks. If Pineda and Severino live up to their potential and form a very good 1-2-3 of the rotation, and if Sabathia doesn't implode along with whoever the 5th starter will be then we should have a good chance of winning the division. But those are are big ifs. And this is without taking into account injuries.
    Agree. The offense should do well but hope they don't have to win every game 8-6.

  5. #1855
    NYYF MVP

    DaBliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Orlando

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    Eh, if the offense really has returned to the perennial powerhouse type of squad that we used to field regularly, I think the starting pitching will be more than adequate. It's basically average at worst. A handful of teams have much better rotations, but even more teams have rotations that are complete crap. If the offense is banging and Tanaka stays healthy, I'm sure we could add another arm at the trade deadline.

    And, ................ it, I know it's not a popular opinion around here, but I wouldn't sleep on Big Mike. He's on a contract year and his strikeout and walks splits were too good to put up numbers that poor last season. It really defies logic. If he repeats those type of figures this season, he'll establish himself as a statistical anomaly.

  6. #1856
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Portbb View Post
    Agree. The offense should do well but hope they don't have to win every game 8-6.
    Yep, the rotation is definitely the weak spot right now. I hope it doesn't make Cashman overpay for Quintana.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  7. #1857

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    something tells me there is more to pineda than lack of desire to improve

  8. #1858
    NYYF Legend

    sjb23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by NelsonMuntz View Post
    Yep, the rotation is definitely the weak spot right now. I hope it doesn't make Cashman overpay for Quintana.
    IMO there's actually a time & place to overpay. I'm hoping the Yanks will be in contention in July to the point where it makes sense to go get Quintana, assuming he's still with the White Sox. I'm thinking the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, Cubs and Pirates all have enough prospects to make attractive offers for Quintana, so the Yanks will have to be willing to give up some top talent. Since they are deep @ SS and OF, I'm thinking top prospects at those two positions will be the showcase of a package. Perhaps 2 other top 100 prospects can be added without compromising the future.

    It'll be fun to at least be speculating about this in July.
    "Somebody once asked me if I ever went up to the plate trying to hit a home run. I said, 'Sure, every time.'" -- Mickey Mantle

  9. #1859
    NYYF Legend

    NelsonMuntz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alexandria, VA

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by sjb23 View Post
    IMO there's actually a time & place to overpay. I'm hoping the Yanks will be in contention in July to the point where it makes sense to go get Quintana, assuming he's still with the White Sox. I'm thinking the Braves, Dodgers, Astros, Cubs and Pirates all have enough prospects to make attractive offers for Quintana, so the Yanks will have to be willing to give up some top talent. Since they are deep @ SS and OF, I'm thinking top prospects at those two positions will be the showcase of a package. Perhaps 2 other top 100 prospects can be added without compromising the future.

    It'll be fun to at least be speculating about this in July.
    Agreed. For the Cubs last year it made sense to overpay for Chapman since that was literally the missing piece for them. I don't think the Yankees are quite in that place yet. I assume Torres is off limits but I would hate to see them part with Kap or Rutherford.
    David Ortiz tested positive for performance enhancing drugs in 2003.

  10. #1860
    NYYF Legend


    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brooklyn

    Re: 2017 Spring Training Thread

    See ya ST thread!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts