+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 15 16 17 18

Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Brady would flourish just as well under any competent coach. The team success and making average players good and good players great is what Belichick brings to the table. Brady is great on his own with or without him. You can't coach 4th quarter wizardry
    I'm not saying this isn't true, in fact I don't disagree, but the context of the discussion is the amount of contribution to the Pats' succees. I just disagree with the 80/20 split comment on Brady to Belichek.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NerfBall55 View Post
    I'm not saying this isn't true, in fact I don't disagree, but the context of the discussion is the amount of contribution to the Pats' succees. I just disagree with the 80/20 split comment on Brady to Belichek.
    Maybe you're right. I overreacted. Belichick did got 11-5 with Matt Cassel. They'll always be tied together, and it's a good problem to have trying to decide whether the greatest coach or greatest QB ever deserves more credit for your dynasty.

In other news, McDaniel turned down the Colts citing family issues. I guess he has 4 kids and he didn't think uprooting them was in the family's best interest. I'm guessing Kraft sweetened the deal too for him financially. Plus any time the Pats can get one over on the Colts they will do so. Also I wonder how much McDaniels knows about Andrew Luck's prognosis. If he's really damaged good, the Colts job is terrible.

Josh McDaniels backs out of his wink-wink deal with the Colts. He even picked assistant coaches for the Colts, they hired them, he backed out of the head coaching job, the next Colts Head Coach is stuck with the assistants. McDaniels is a piece of work. I wanted the Giants to hire him so badly that I would have driven him to East Rutherford myself but it looks like the Giants dodged a huge bullet here. I think this soils his reputation in the NFL.

So who coaches the Colts? Bring back Dungy?

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

It is shady the way it fell through, and he shouldn't have been so wishy washy. Everyone knows Irsay is a nut and the Colts are a mess and nobody in public knows the status of Luck's shoulder. He may be done as a QB (which would suck). I don't blame McDaniels for not wanting to go there. I do blame him for letting things get so far along in the process before changing his mind. He probably has screwed himself out of any other future potential offers and is putting all his eggs in taking over for BB when he retires.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    It is shady the way it fell through, and he shouldn't have been so wishy washy. Everyone knows Irsay is a nut and the Colts are a mess and nobody in public knows the status of Luck's shoulder. He may be done as a QB (which would suck). I don't blame McDaniels for not wanting to go there. I do blame him for letting things get so far along in the process before changing his mind. He probably has screwed himself out of any other future potential offers and is putting all his eggs in taking over for BB when he retires.
    He agreed to terms. Grown men don’t renege on their word like that. That’s reserved for children and cowards.

Agreed that he was perhaps promised the HC job in NE after Belichick leaves. That guy’s got to be persona non grata now. Hell, wasting a first rounder on Tim freakin Tebow should’ve told us this guy’s not all there in the head anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    He agreed to terms. Grown men don’t renege on their word like that.
    True, but I could give him a pass for that if I had to. The fact that he held a franchise hostage for a month and recruited other coaches there is pathetic.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panamaniac42 View Post
    True, but I could give him a pass for that if I had to. The fact that he held a franchise hostage for a month and recruited other coaches there is pathetic.
    Sorry. I didn't make myself clear there. It's because he took the Colts out of the HC market, hired subordinates, etc and then walked away from the job is why he's a coward.

Cold feet / buyer's remorse is only applicable to a long weekend of thought. Not a month.

NYYF Legend

He's a disciple of Belichick in more ways than one, I guess. Amazing how the other, less-highly-regarded coordinator managed to leave for another team without much of a fuss.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Maybe you're right. I overreacted. Belichick did got 11-5 with Matt Cassel. They'll always be tied together, and it's a good problem to have trying to decide whether the greatest coach or greatest QB ever deserves more credit for your dynasty.
    What is the Pats fan obsession with the GOAT stuff. Started 3 years ago, and they can't seem to have a conversation without it. I really think they're so insecure about their teams cheating rep that they have to say this ad-naseum. Full disclosure - I live 10 min from Gillette, so I'm surrounded by this stuff.

Brady's in the conversation, probably is, but it's not a slam dunk. Legit arguments can be made. But it's almost impossible now, since the eras are so different, rule wise.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    He agreed to terms. Grown men don’t renege on their word like that. That’s reserved for children and cowards.

Agreed that he was perhaps promised the HC job in NE after Belichick leaves. That guy’s got to be persona non grata now. Hell, wasting a first rounder on Tim freakin Tebow should’ve told us this guy’s not all there in the head anyway.
    I've heard some say this was all a scheme as payback against the Colts for deflategate

What a difference a year makes for Jimmy G.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mxylsplk View Post
    What a difference a year makes for Jimmy G.
    Guess he can afford Bay Area real estate now.

NYYF HOF

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    Guess he can afford Bay Area real estate now.
    Even with that paycheck he'll have to ride BART.

Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ruthianblast View Post
    Even with that paycheck he'll have to ride BART.
    And the VTA.

Thread Information