+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 285
  1. #26
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    Pats getting Cooks? Uh oh...
    Without giving up Butler. The rich get richer, the smart get smarter.
    Last edited by Donnybaseball72; 03-11-17 at 09:03 AM. Reason: coughed up a lung

  2. #27
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread


  3. #28
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Moving again: the Raiders are relocating from Oakland for the second time. The owners approve the Raiders to Las Vegas, 31-1 with the Miami Dolphins against the move
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-to-las-vegas

    Announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxkPWPH81p8
    Reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RiAuf9Fnig

  4. #29

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    Moving again: the Raiders are relocating from Oakland for the second time. The owners approve the Raiders to Las Vegas, 31-1 with the Miami Dolphins against the move
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...e-to-las-vegas

    Announcement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxkPWPH81p8
    Reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RiAuf9Fnig
    That's 2 professional teams for Vegas - the Golden Knights are their NHL team. Vegas will also get an NBA team soon, IMO, since the state of the art T-Mobile arena would be ideal for them to play in. The Maloofs tried to move the Kings there unsuccessfully- but in today's environment, would probably be approved.

    San Diego, surprisingly, is down to 1 professional team- the Padres.

  5. #30
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    I can't believe 31 owners approved the move. This is horrible for the NFL. Plus the fact that they are going to be a lame duck team for 2 seasons and expect Oakland fans to support. I hate Mark Davis and his goofy haircut

  6. #31

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I can't believe 31 owners approved the move. This is horrible for the NFL. Plus the fact that they are going to be a lame duck team for 2 seasons and expect Oakland fans to support. I hate Mark Davis and his goofy haircut
    I can't stop staring at his hair when he speaks, as I'm partly inspecting it to see if it's a wig. If there was a remake of the 3 Stooges, he'd make a good Moe.

    Why do you think this is horrible for the NFL, assuming that there was no way that Oakland was going to help out with a stadium? (I ask that knowing that millions of fans in California agree with you)

    Do you think that the Raiders should be the team moving to LA, or that they should have waited longer for Oakland to come through with a stadium proposal? Or do you think that Davis should have paid for the entire stadium- like Stan Kroenke did for the Rams and Chargers?

  7. #32
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I can't stop staring at his hair when he speaks, as I'm partly inspecting it to see if it's a wig. If there was a remake of the 3 Stooges, he'd make a good Moe.

    Why do you think this is horrible for the NFL, assuming that there was no way that Oakland was going to help out with a stadium? (I ask that knowing that millions of fans in California agree with you)

    Do you think that the Raiders should be the team moving to LA, or that they should have waited longer for Oakland to come through with a stadium proposal? Or do you think that Davis should have paid for the entire stadium- like Stan Kroenke did for the Rams and Chargers?
    I'd say it's his real hair because who would pay for a rug like that?

    I know Vegas has a growing population but I just don't view it as a real city. Maybe it will work out.

    I suppose I can't blame Davis since he is poor for an NFL owner and Oakland is not willing to help put the A's or Warriors. The Chargers leaving is probably the bigger tragedy.

  8. #33

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Donnybaseball72 View Post
    I'd say it's his real hair because who would pay for a rug like that?

    I know Vegas has a growing population but I just don't view it as a real city. Maybe it will work out.

    I suppose I can't blame Davis since he is poor for an NFL owner and Oakland is not willing to help put the A's or Warriors. The Chargers leaving is probably the bigger tragedy.
    Fair enough.

    Where other franchises were probably frustrated when opposing teams would take over the home team's stadium, Vegas is designed for visiting fans to supply a bulk of the ticket sales- and tourism related money. Opposing team's fans will probably be welcomed with open arms.

  9. #34
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    I can't stop staring at his hair when he speaks, as I'm partly inspecting it to see if it's a wig. If there was a remake of the 3 Stooges, he'd make a good Moe.

    Why do you think this is horrible for the NFL, assuming that there was no way that Oakland was going to help out with a stadium? (I ask that knowing that millions of fans in California agree with you)

    Do you think that the Raiders should be the team moving to LA, or that they should have waited longer for Oakland to come through with a stadium proposal? Or do you think that Davis should have paid for the entire stadium- like Stan Kroenke did for the Rams and Chargers?
    He may be poor for a NFL owner, but he's still beyond rich. Oakland is a growing city and is part of the richest corridor in America. There's no reason that this guy couldn't get a new stadium built.
    Having said that, football stadiums are the worst investment because it's only in use 10 times a year, plus maybe 10-15 concerts. Is there a MLS team out there? At least with baseball or basketball/hockey arenas you they get not only more home games but many more concerts, events, etc since most events don't need 70,000 seats.

    It's the most Raiders thing ever to finally get good after 20 years and then they move.

  10. #35
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    He may be poor for a NFL owner, but he's still beyond rich. Oakland is a growing city and is part of the richest corridor in America. There's no reason that this guy couldn't get a new stadium built.
    Having said that, football stadiums are the worst investment because it's only in use 10 times a year, plus maybe 10-15 concerts. Is there a MLS team out there? At least with baseball or basketball/hockey arenas you they get not only more home games but many more concerts, events, etc since most events don't need 70,000 seats.

    It's the most Raiders thing ever to finally get good after 20 years and then they move.
    MLS teams all (except New England) have their own soccer only stadiums now.

  11. #36
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Can you say - Lloyd Christmas?


    I'm pretty opposed to having cities pay for new stadiums.
    With these sports leagues making billions of dollars, there's no way owners should be asking for funding from a city.
    Why doesn't the league create a fund for new stadiums? Maybe I'm missing something.....

  12. #37
    NYYF Legend

    2JAY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Lexington Ky

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    For a sport that is supposed to be the most popular in the US, the NFL sure knows how to treat its fans shinty when these teams just up and move.

  13. #38

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    He may be poor for a NFL owner, but he's still beyond rich. Oakland is a growing city and is part of the richest corridor in America. There's no reason that this guy couldn't get a new stadium built.
    Having said that, football stadiums are the worst investment because it's only in use 10 times a year, plus maybe 10-15 concerts. Is there a MLS team out there? At least with baseball or basketball/hockey arenas you they get not only more home games but many more concerts, events, etc since most events don't need 70,000 seats.

    It's the most Raiders thing ever to finally get good after 20 years and then they move.

    BB55 might be able to give a local perspective on this, but what did Alameda County end up offering? I guess I have the same question for what SD County ultimately offered the Chargers to stay. I'm not defending Davis/Spanos, but wanted to get some perspective as I know negotiations have been going on for years.

    I think Davis is putting up ~1/3rd of the new stadium funding in Vegas. Hotel room tax and Sheldon Adelson will provide the other 2/3rds. Does anyone know how paying 1/3rd compares to the other new stadiums? I read that the new Rams stadium and MetLife didn't involve public funds, but the others did.

  14. #39
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by effdamets View Post
    Can you say - Lloyd Christmas?

    I'm pretty opposed to having cities pay for new stadiums.
    With these sports leagues making billions of dollars, there's no way owners should be asking for funding from a city.
    Why doesn't the league create a fund for new stadiums? Maybe I'm missing something.....
    There's no fund set up because there's no incentive to since municipalities still routinely bankrupt themselves to pay for a billionaire's play pen because of the promise of "economic development".

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    For a sport that is supposed to be the most popular in the US, the NFL sure knows how to treat its fans shinty when these teams just up and move.
    They know the real money is TV so who cares who goes to the games?

  15. #40

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by 2JAY View Post
    For a sport that is supposed to be the most popular in the US, the NFL sure knows how to treat its fans shinty when these teams just up and move.
    I can't blame the NFL on this one. They tried to block the Raiders from moving to LA decades ago. Then Al Davis sued the league and the courts sided with the franchise's ability to move against the wishes of the commissioner IIRC.

    If Goodell was dead set against the Rams, Chargers, and Raiders moving, I don't think there would have been anything that he could have done.

  16. #41
    Hello dum-dum... effdamets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    In front of the TV

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    There's no fund set up because there's no incentive to since municipalities still routinely bankrupt themselves to pay for a billionaire's play pen because of the promise of "economic development".

    Yeah - I get that... It's kinda the municipalities' fault.
    But the NFL could be proactive and create a fund, if they gave a rat spit about any of the cities where they have franchises.

  17. #42

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Announcing a shock press conference this morning, Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott announced that the Bills had in fact acquired Tom Brady in a trade with the rival New England Patriots.
    While the terms of the trade were not disclosed, some have reported that the deal saw the Bills send all of their draft picks for the next four seasons to the Patriots as a part of the deal along with wide receiver Sammy Watkins, running back LeSean McCoy, the entire starting offensive line from last season as well as a handful of defensive starters which included Shaq Lawson and Ronald Darby.
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/bu...143027470.html




    (You gotta love the day after March 31st.)

  18. #43
    First Name: Keninovich hardrain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    We just don't know

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/bu...143027470.html


    (You gotta love the day after March 31st.)
    Man, I hate April Fools Day. River Ave. Blues has a good one up about construction delays at Yankee Stadium causing games to be played at Citi Field.

  19. #44
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Tony Romo retires and becomes NFL analyst for CBS Sports
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-set-to-retire

    One of the most underappreciated QBs in the NFL since Romo had the third highest QB rating in NFL history, but unfortunately, he will also been remembered for his lack of postseason achievements and injuries.

  20. #45
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Jonathan Hankins signs with the Indianapolis Colts on a three-year, $30 million deal
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...eyear-contract

  21. #46
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    RIP to one of the great icons in the NFL: Pittsburgh Steelers' Dan Rooney
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ey-dies-age-84

  22. #47
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread


  23. #48
    Designed to Win BroadwayBomber55's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SF-Oak-SJ Bay Area, California

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    And we have Aaron Hernandez news...

    Jury acquits the former New England Patriots TE of double-murder charges
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...e-murder-trial

  24. #49

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BroadwayBomber55 View Post
    And we have Aaron Hernandez news...

    Jury acquits the former New England Patriots TE of double-murder charges
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...e-murder-trial
    It's strange how this has gotten so much press because it really makes no difference to AH's lifetime sentence.

    Some people I know actually believed that his acquittal means that he'll be going free now.

  25. #50
    NYYF Legend

    Donnybaseball72's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Proud Yankee fan in Red Sox Nation

    Re: 2017 NFL Season Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by melon View Post
    It's strange how this has gotten so much press because it really makes no difference to AH's lifetime sentence.

    Some people I know actually believed that his acquittal means that he'll be going free now.
    It matters if for any reason he got Paroled or clemency in his other convicted case he would have to serve this other sentence. I will say this was a huge waste of my fellow taxpayers money.

    And then this sad news happened. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.6a65d3436703

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts