+ Reply to Thread
    NYYF Legend

Fix for NBA Hack-A-Bad-FT-Shooter loophole

A lot of people are of the opinion that Hack-A-Whoever in the NBA is totally fine and if you can't shoot FTs, you should pay for it, and I get where they're coming from. But I don't agree and I think I can change that opinion.

I see it more as a benefitting-from-rulebreaking thing for the hacking team. Fouling is something you aren't supposed to do in the NBA, as evidenced by the consequences. Same as penalties in the NFL, except in the NBA, you are allowed to substantially benefit from intentionally committing a penalty (foul)! And this isn't necessarily a momentary one-off weird situation that happens at the end of games... teams have employed hacking bad shooters in the middle of the 2nd quarter as a full-on strategy.

What if you weren't allowed to decline penalties in the NFL and other teams could commit little 5 yard penalties when your team caught a 70 yard TD bomb to nullify it? Allowing them to benefit that greatly from rule-breaking be stupid, right? It's the same in the NBA... it doesn't improve gameplay, watchability, or really anything I can think of.

The problem is nobody has a real solution. Intentional fouls (not flagrant ones) are hard to classify, so how do you punish them or make any attempt to keep them from happening?

What about the simplest solution (again, an NFL concept) - make free throws declinable!

Teams would almost always "accept" the free throws, unless the person fouled was a <60% shooter! You still count the foul against the fouling team + player, so they still don't want to do it, and you ALSO penalize the bad free throw shooter because their team doesn't get ~1.5 easy points and has to run a real offense!

Can anyone tell me why this doesn't improve the game? Please no "its not the way things are done / don't change the game, I like the status quo", those aren't real arguments. Trying to make progress here on a facet of the game nobody really likes.

NYYF Legend

Re: Fix for NBA Hack-A-Bad-FT-Shooter loophole

I actually think this is a good (and original) idea. Well done, Jace.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by THEBOSS84 View Post
    I actually think this is a good (and original) idea. Well done, Jace.
    Haha, thanks. I want to mail it to Simmons/Zach Lowe to see whether they actually read random mails

I don't like basketball generally, but would consider watching more if things flowed a little better, especially at the end of games. That's really one of my major complaints about it, how unwatchable the end of close games can be. How bad of a free throw shooter would a guy need to be to make it more likely that the team will score a basket on their ensuing possession after declining than him making at least one free throw, though, and how many guys in the league are that bad? I admit my ignorance on most things basketball, but wonder if it would really make any significant difference if coaches are going to almost always accepting the free throws anyway.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I don't like basketball generally, but would consider watching more if things flowed a little better, especially at the end of games. That's really one of my major complaints about it, how unwatchable the end of close games can be. How bad of a free throw shooter would a guy need to be to make it more likely that the team will score a basket on their ensuing possession after declining than him making at least one free throw, though, and how many guys in the league are that bad? I admit my ignorance on most things basketball, but wonder if it would really make any significant difference if coaches are going to almost always accepting the free throws anyway.
    Great question in terms of the break-even point for whether a coach would decline the free throws - NBA teams all score between 1 and 1.1 points per possession, so theoretically someone who shoots under 55% should probably have their free throws declined, and under 50% they should definitely be declined. This would vary by team and game situation though.

As for making the ends of games flow better - it would be interesting, as the fouled team would have the incentive to not take the free throws so they could instead waste more time, even if their shot clock doesn't get reset. I think this is a loophole that would have to be figured out. Maybe you can't decline anymore once you're under 2 minutes, although that seems arbitrary.

Thread Information