+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 200 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 197 198 199 200
Results 4,976 to 4,985 of 4985
  1. #4976

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    1) Of course.

    2) But you want certain platforms to be denied them, correct?

    3) That doesn't answer the question.
    No. I want people to make their own decisions on how they utilize their platforms.

    I think it does but I'm not all that interested in "what if" question involving the actions or opinions of others.

  2. #4977

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    No. I want people to make their own decisions on how they utilize their platforms.
    They already do. That doesn't address the normalization movement (or whatever it's called).

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I think it does but I'm not all that interested in "what if" question involving the actions or opinions of others.
    I didn't think I'd get an answer.

    How about these:

    What do the normalization folks hope to accomplish? How would they accomplish this?

  3. #4978

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    They already do. That doesn't address the normalization movement (or whatever it's called).



    I didn't think I'd get an answer.

    How about these:

    What do the normalization folks hope to accomplish? How would they accomplish this?
    I'm trying to answer your questions but I find them vague, incomplete and lacking substance. You'll get better answers if you ask better questions. If you're going to be snarky you'll get no answers at all.

  4. #4979
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    You didn't ask me, but I'll comment anyway. They are tough to compare, because Spicer is a cheap political shill, and not a very smart or good one, who simply misstated obvious facts in an ineffective effort to defend the prevarications of his semi-delusional boss. Ethically deficient, but absent the key aspect of pre-meditated falsehood for personal gain or avoidance of responsibility for previous evil, if not criminal deeds. He was just doing his job, but that is the Nuremberg defense and is not worth much.

    Hillary, on the other hand, is an intelligent, Yale law trained, lifetime expert in the careful use of falsehoods. Unlike Spicer, she is very good at it, and she is also motivated directly at effecting and preserving her own personal gains. It is unfortunate, but we probably are only aware of the tip of the iceberg of her lies. I don't trust a thing she says. However, I can't prove nearly as much as I am sure is there. I am confident in placing her on a moral rung well below Spicer's. I can see how her fans may disagree, but like I said, she's a GOOD liar.

    It has been reported Colbert himself invited Spicer and kept it a big secret from almost everyone at the Emmy's because he thought it was funny. I didn't think it was very funny, but I see no reason for the whole chorus of moral objectors. Nothing was "normalized" by that silly cameo. "'m gonna lie like a real dickhead on national TV so I can get a stupid ten seconds on the Emmy's"? More disrespect than respect was shown. Nothing to see here, in my opinion.
    The real problem, I think, is not with Spicer himself, because Sean Spicer himself is nothing and his ethics are no more relevant than he is. But when he goes on the Emmys, it's because he represents the Trump administration - not literally, of course, but because that's all he is, the only reason he's there. It's The Trump administration and its bizarre behavior and contemptuous "ethics" over the last 8 months that are being "normalized." In fact, Spicer's appearance reaffirms the blindly destructive view Trump often seems to have of his own administration - that it's not a serious governing organization but a TV show, an entertainment platform. (We've already had at least one presidential administration that actually was a TV show - the Josiah Bartlett administration - but that group was far more serious about governing than this one is.)

    So Colbert thought it would be funny, because the Trump administration - in the person of Spicer, who's now free to mock and be mocked - is stoopit. He thought it would be good TV. But it's not TV, and shouldn't be treated as if it were. It's real and it's reckless and constantly teeters on the edge of being genuinely dangerous.

    Mike, "normalization" isn't a left-wing buzzword, and it's not about censorship. It's come into common use precisely around the Trump administration, period. It's about not treating this as a goofy TV show - oh, dad, what did you tweet now? - but always keeping in mind that this is crazy sh1t, important crazy sh1t, that's not benign and not normal.

  5. #4980
    Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    lil'rhody

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Hey look, more examples of a "fiscal conservative" wasting our tax dollars without abandon.

    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...flights-242908
    In a sharp departure from his predecessors, Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price last week took private jets on five separate flights for official business, at a cost of tens of thousands of dollars more than commercial travel.

    The travel by corporate-style jet comes at a time when other members of the Trump administration are under fire for travel expenditures, and breaks with the practices of Obama-era Secretaries Sylvia Mathews Burwell and Kathleen Sebelius, who flew commercially while in the continental United States.

    Price, a frequent critic of federal spending who has been developing a plan for department-wide cost savings, declined to comment.
    Price was a member of the "freedom caucus" whose sole mission in Congress was to stop spending money on just about everything. Now that he's in the cabinet he sees no issue using tens of thousands of taxpayer dollars so he can avoid flying on commercial flights where he may have to actually be around citizens.

  6. #4981

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I'm trying to answer your questions but I find them vague, incomplete and lacking substance. You'll get better answers if you ask better questions. If you're going to be snarky you'll get no answers at all.
    I'm asking you what you think about something. IOW, your opinion. There's nothing vague about those questions.

    If you don't want to answer, don't answer. That's not anything new. Don't blame me if you can't come up with an answer that justifies your position.

  7. #4982

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I'm asking you what you think about something. IOW, your opinion. There's nothing vague about those questions.

    If you don't want to answer, don't answer. That's not anything new. Don't blame me if you can't come up with an answer that justifies your position.
    Not true. I felt like I answered your question the best I could given it's hypothetical nature. You disagreed and decided it warranted a snarky response. Like you're doing again here. That is absolutely on you and nothing new.

  8. #4983

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Mike, "normalization" isn't a left-wing buzzword, and it's not about censorship. It's come into common use precisely around the Trump administration, period. It's about not treating this as a goofy TV show - oh, dad, what did you tweet now? - but always keeping in mind that this is crazy sh1t, important crazy sh1t, that's not benign and not normal.
    That's what they always say. "Normally we wouldn't condone this type of thing, but these are extraordinarily dangerous times we live in. It's for everyone's safety.". Who are we doing this for? Who are we protecting from this "crazy sh1t that is not benign and not normal"?

    I'll ask you:. What do the normalization folks hope to accomplish? How would they accomplish this?

  9. #4984

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Not true. I felt like I answered your question the best I could given it's hypothetical nature. You disagreed and decided it warranted a snarky response. Like you're doing again here. That is absolutely on you and nothing new.
    I asked what you thought would happen if they controlled the media, and your response was 'nobody should control the media'.

    That's not what I asked. I followed up with two more questions which you also didn't answer.

    You can say it's on me all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that you're dodging.

  10. #4985

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I asked what you thought would happen if they controlled the media, and your response was 'nobody should control the media'.

    That's not what I asked. I followed up with two more questions which you also didn't answer.

    You can say it's on me all you want, but it's not going to change the fact that you're dodging.
    I'm not dodging anything. We are talking about a diverse group of people with their own different opinions. You want to make them into a single entity and I'm supposed to speak for them. Nonsense. In addition, you want to lump the "media in all it's forms" into a single response. Ask a better question, get a better answer.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 6 guests)

  1. Maynerd
  2. DrNick
  3. Yankee Tripper

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts