+ Reply to Thread
Page 864 of 911 FirstFirst ... 364 764 814 854 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 874 ... LastLast
Results 21,576 to 21,600 of 22761
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Evidently they want a SCOTUS review
    Thatís the only reason for the law. They know it canít be enforced. Whether SCOTUS will take it remains to be seen - but probably not until a couple of years from now.

Hope is eternal

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Thatís the only reason for the law. They know it canít be enforced. Whether SCOTUS will take it remains to be seen - but probably not until a couple of years from now.
    With any luck, as remote it is, hopefully a liberal judge will replace a conservative one but not betting on it.
    The sky is falling! We are doomed!

Hope is eternal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.718521c88293

Even Pat Robertson thinks Alabama went too far.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...=.718521c88293

Even Pat Robertson thinks Alabama went too far.
    Only because he thinks the case is a loser. From his lips...

NYYF Legend

Only because he thinks the case is a loser. From his lips...
    I'm sure he loves the law, just not it's prospects for survival.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

One rep said that's exactly what they want.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Sometimes The Onion is just a little too on the nose for comfort.
    It will be challenged, of course, and there will be an injunction almost immediately preventing it from being enforced. Any court below SCOTUS has to rule against this bill - they donít have a choice.
    This is why, sometimes, you have to "hold your nose" and vote for someone like Clinton.

The SCOTUS is just too important.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    This is why, sometimes, you have to "hold your nose" and vote for someone like Clinton.

The SCOTUS is just too important.
    That's what I did, not that it helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bronxbombers
    Well....I am a total bacon whore...
    <--- The Ryan emoticon.

Hope is eternal

Just saw on my Facebook page ďa state 50th ranked in education does not care about childrenĒ meaning Alabama.

Hope is eternal

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2019/05/t...tion-vote.html

These are the brain dead morons deciding the future for women’s bodies in Alabama. Pathetic.

Chambliss couldn’t accurately describe how a woman knows if she is pregnant.

Per the Daily Beast, Chambliss’s ignorance was on full display in his opening statement, when he admitted to not being “trained medically” and thereby uncertain of how women can tell if they are pregnant — which one might think is important information to have when pushing a six-week ban.

“I’m not trained medically so I don’t know the proper medical terminology and timelines. But from what I’ve read, what I’ve been told, there’s some period of time before you can know a woman is pregnant.”

On the topic of whether a woman’s eggs would be subjected to the abortion law, Chambliss said:

“I’m at the limits of my medical knowledge, but until those chromosomes you were talking about combine — from male and female— that’s my understanding.”

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

I donated $20.20 back before the Kavanaugh vote. I can't wait for her to lose next year.

I will do so when I get the chance!

Rep. Matt Gaetz
    @RepMattGaetz

The FBI and Department of Homeland Security have not been sufficiently forthcoming with the American people or members of the US Congress.

We learned today that there were multiple attempts to breach our election infrastructure in Florida.
    Hold on a second, Matt. Does the President know about this?

Released Outright

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Bill Nelson, who was ridiculed by just about every Republican for saying Russians hacked Florida's electoral system, was probably robbed of his Senate seat.

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/s...195133440?s=20

If they did it in 2016, you know they did it in 2018 and DeSantis, Rubio and Scott have no incentive to do anything about it since it only helps Republicans.
    Did you miss this part ?

"intrusion 'had no effect' on Florida vote totals.""

Released Outright

I honestly didnít imagine that they would go after Roe quite so directly. Unfortunately, the conservative justices have now shown their disdain for stare decisis so all bets are off.

But...but...they told Susan Collins they would respect precedent!
    If that were an absolute standard, we'd still have Plessy v Ferguson as law

Quote Originally Posted by ieddyi3 View Post
    There are standards by which stare decisis does not hold. "The justices disagree with the decision" isnít one of them.

Of course it's not absolute. But Brown vs Board of Ed was a unanimous decision with special justification. In more recent cases, the dissents in both Hyatt from Breyer and this from Stevens regarding Citizens United are correct.

The final principle of judicial process that the majority violates is the most transparent: stare decisis. I am not an absolutist when it comes to stare decisis, in the campaign finance area or in any other. No one is. But if this principle is to do any meaningful work in supporting the rule of law, it must at least demand a significant justification, beyond the preferences of five Justices, for overturning settled doctrine.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Did you miss this part ?

"intrusion 'had no effect' on Florida vote totals.""
    Oh, then everything's OK and we donít have to worry about anything. Thanks for the reassurance.

Jake Tapper‏Verified account @jaketapper

.@SenatorCollins tells @mkraju: "The Alabama law is a terrible law Ė itís very extreme Ė it essentially bans all abortions. I canít imagine that any justice could find that to be consistent with the previous precedents."
    #neverforget.....

Fund Susan Collins' Future Opponent

She is pathetic. I don't want to hear a single damn word from her.

Released Outright

Oh, then everything's OK and we donít have to worry about anything. Thanks for the reassurance.
    Is it really surprising that Russia was trying to interfere?

Do you think vote totals were affected ?

There's no evidence to support that, according to Obama and Rosenstein

Released Outright

Of course it's not absolute. But Brown vs Board of Ed was a unanimous decision with special justification. In more recent cases, the dissents in both Hyatt from Breyer and this from Stevens regarding Citizens United are correct.
    Their opinion, and yours don't mean squat in this case.

"meaningful" "significant" open to interpretation

I think they should rule on the legal merits as they see it.

Is it really surprising that Russia was trying to interfere?

Do you think vote totals were affected ?

There's no evidence to support that, according to Obama and Rosenstein
    No, of course itís not surprising. That was kind of my point. Are you unconcerned as late not as past vote totals havenít been shown to be changed? Youíre really more worried about the Steele dossier than ongoing Russian interference that the administration refuses to do anything about? Thatís the kind of thing trolls are saying on Twitter.

Their opinion, and yours don't mean squat in this case.

"meaningful" "significant" open to interpretation

I think they should rule on the legal merits as they see it.
    Making the decision to completely disregard precedent in favor of just ruling based on however they feel would be unfortunate and ultimately destroy the Court as we know it.

Thread Information