+ Reply to Thread
Page 1028 of 1031 FirstFirst ... 28 528 928 978 1018 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 LastLast
Results 25,676 to 25,700 of 25754

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think his problem is that he finally proved that he’s Harding's grandson, but nobody cares.
    "I'm Warren Harding's illegitimate Grandson."
    "Okay."
    "No, really, I am. My Mother was the child of Harding and Nan Britton."
    "Okay."
    "Really!"
    "We acknowledge that. Welcome to the family."
    "I can prove it!"
    "There's no need to prove anything. We agree with you."
    "Exhume the body! I need DNA to prove it! Why isn't anyone listening?"

We need more Warren Harding news. People don't even know what Teapot Dome was all about any more.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    "I'm Warren Harding's illegitimate Grandson."
    "Okay."
    "No, really, I am. My Mother was the child of Harding and Nan Britton."
    "Okay."
    "Really!"
    "We acknowledge that. Welcome to the family."
    "I can prove it!"
    "There's no need to prove anything. We agree with you."
    "Exhume the body! I need DNA to prove it! Why isn't anyone listening?"

We need more Warren Harding news. People don't even know what Teapot Dome was all about any more.
    Never mind Teapot Dome. This bit of information just can’t be repeated enough: in his love letters, he called his penis "Jerry."

How is your life today ? JDPNYY's Avatar
    Waiting for the day when I will crawl away.

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    People don't even know what Teapot Dome was all about any more.
    I know Cora Crawley’s brother (I think his name was John Adams or Bart Giamatti or something) was facing an investigation of this scandal.
    Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are this will save your soul or break it forever

NYYF Legend

Never mind Teapot Dome. This bit of information just can’t be repeated enough: in his love letters, he called his penis "Jerry."
    Wonder what Newman thinks of that.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile...ention-center/

Several legal advocacy groups on Monday filed a whistleblower complaint on behalf of a nurse at an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center documenting “jarring medical neglect” within the facility, including a refusal to test detainees for the novel coronavirus and an exorbitant rate of hysterectomies being performed on immigrant women.
    dolly could do the allegory of the cave but plato couldn’t do jolene

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

WTF....we are such a garbage country.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    WTF....we are such a garbage country.
    I am not completely sold on the story. Waiting for more to come out. But if true, we are the Nazis.

Please let this be false. Please.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Please let this be false. Please.
    The confirmation bias here is off-the-charts. Hold off on forming an opinion until some more reporting gets done.
    “Nobody teaches life anything.” - Gabriel García Márquez

My good morning email from the NY Times today:

Good morning. The mail has slowed. Another hurricane is threatening the Gulf Coast. And the American West has the world’s most polluted air.
    So much winning.

NYYF Legend

https://www.theroot.com/a-judge-aske...peo-1845017462

Excellent article on systemic racism.

couple of excerpts

What they found is the criminal justice system is unequal on every level. Cops in the state are more likely to stop Black drivers. Police are more likely to search or investigate Black residents. Law enforcement agents charge Black suspects with infractions that carry worse penalties. Prosecutors are less likely to offer Black suspects plea bargains or pre-trial intervention. Judges sentence Black defendants to longer terms in prison. And get this: The average white felon in the Massachusetts Department of Corrections has committed a more severe crime than the average Black inmate.

However, despite Black defendants making up 16.4 percent of firearm cases in 2012, 46 percent of the people convicted of a firearm offense was Black. And 70.3 percent of the time, the Black person’s only offense was carrying a firearm without a license.

The researchers noted that they could not “conclusively isolate the impact of unconscious bias, prejudice, and racism in generating the disparities” precisely because there was so much of it. They could only conclude that the criminal justice process was a Rube Goldberg machine that produces “racially disparate initial charging practices leading to weaker initial positions in the plea bargaining process for Black defendants, which then translate into longer incarceration sentences for similar offenses.”
    For those who want to read the full 103 p study http://cjpp.law.harvard.edu/assets/M...port-FINAL.pdf
    Baseball is life;

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    https://www.theroot.com/a-judge-aske...peo-1845017462

Excellent article on systemic racism.

couple of excerpts

For those who want to read the full 103 p study http://cjpp.law.harvard.edu/assets/M...port-FINAL.pdf
    This really puts into words what many of us have known for a long time. The numbers don't lie. And they're disturbing as hell.
    "Our work continues, the fight goes on, and the big dreams never die." -- Elizabeth Warren

This really puts into words what many of us have known for a long time. The numbers don't lie. And they're disturbing as hell.
    Response from Bill Barr and many others: "Nah, I don’t think so."

NYYF Triple Crown

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...-paid-n1240020

Two months after top Pentagon officials vowed to get to the bottom of whether the Russian government bribed the Taliban to kill American service members, the commander of troops in the region says a detailed review of all available intelligence has not been able to corroborate the existence of such a program.

"It just has not been proved to a level of certainty that satisfies me," Gen. Frank McKenzie, commander of the U.S. Central Command, told NBC News. McKenzie oversees U.S. troops in Afghanistan. The U.S. continues to hunt for new information on the matter, he said.

"We continue to look for that evidence," the general said. "I just haven't seen it yet. But … it's not a closed issue."

McKenzie's comments, reflecting a consensus view among military leaders, underscores the lack of certainty around a narrative that has been accepted as fact by Democrats and other Trump critics, including presidential nominee Joe Biden, who has cited Russian bounties in attacks on President Donald Trump.
    It's amazing how sensationalized the initial reporting on this was when you compare it to how well written this article is.
    Stay "We" my friends

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...-paid-n1240020

It's amazing how sensationalized the initial reporting on this was when you compare it to how well written this article is.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Elaborate?

The Progressive Activist Begging the Left to Stop Owning Itself

Sean McElwee has a simple message for his compatriots: Rigid doctrinarianism doesn’t win elections.
    Interesting read. For the most part, I agree.

America’s real law-and-order problem is racism

A conversation with Senator Chris Murphy about the origins of American violence, Trump's willful killing, plutocrats, GOP confessions, and the emotion Biden stirs that's more important than passion
    In the minds of many of the suburban white voters who, in our peculiar system, have a disproportionate influence over election outcomes, peace is the default condition of white America, and violence is something that bubbles up from Black and brown communities that must be kept in check.

And so it was striking to me, in interviewing Senator Chris Murphy some days ago, that he rightly turned the law-and-order issue on its head. America, he notes in his new book, is the most violent country in the advanced world, and long has been. And he makes no bones about why: white people’s racism. Because from its earliest days America committed itself to an economic model dependent on chattel slavery, Murphy told me, “it took just massive, mind-numbing amounts of violence to keep America's economy running. It stands to reason that we became anesthetized to that violence during that period. I don't think that we've ever got our sense of feeling back.”

So America does have a law-and-order problem, but it’s nothing new. And the nature of that law-and-order problem is being the most violent country in the rich world. And the genesis of that violence isn’t Black and brown communities rising up against friendly, overwhelmingly white suburbs of Minneapolis. It’s white America, from the founding days of the republic, committing to an economic and political model that made violence a daily, systemic necessity.

In short, those fighting to make America less racist are not our law-and-order problem. America’s real law-and-order problem is, and always has been, racism.
    Another interesting read. Sen Murphy continues to impress me. CT is fortunate to have him.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    The Progressive Activist Begging the Left to Stop Owning Itself

Interesting read. For the most part, I agree.
    Rational, pragmatic politicking directed toward winning over ideological purity? I think I'm getting to you...

(definitely an interesting read--thank you)
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

America’s real law-and-order problem is racism

Another interesting read. Sen Murphy continues to impress me. CT is fortunate to have him.
    He's a really good dude. And really smart. I like him a lot.

He's a really good dude. And really smart. I like him a lot.
    Yep. His Venezuela coup comments really bothered me but he seems like a guy that listens and cares and tries to do good.

Yep. His Venezuela coup comments really bothered me but he seems like a guy that listens and cares and tries to do good.
    I must've missed those comments.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ge%2Fstory-ans

Bill Barr gave a speech at some conservative college last night and it was a doozy.

He said that unlike every one of his predecessors, he does have the power to oversee and override career officials on any case he deems necessary because "letting the most junior members set the agenda might be a good philosophy for a Montessori preschool, but it is no way to run a federal agency”

I'm not an inspirational speaker but I think referring to your employees as preschoolers isn't the way to build morale.

Also, he, with a straight face and apparently forgetting what President he's working for said:

Barr also criticized what he called the “criminalization of politics,” railing against television pundits for speculating on whether an official’s deed “constitutes some esoteric crime.”

“Now you have to call your adversary a criminal, and instead of beating them politically, you try to put them in jail,” Barr said, asserting that the United States was becoming akin to an Eastern European country.

“If you’re not in power, you’re in jail — or you’re a member of the press,” he quipped.
    Finally, when asked about Covid-19 he said probably one of the most disgusting and telling GOP lines in recent history:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barr
    All this nonsense about how something is dictated by science is nonsense
    Followed by one of the 2nd most disgusting lines in recent history:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Barr
    "Other than slavery, which was a different kind of restraint, this is the greatest intrusion on civil liberties in American history."
    Just an all-time low for the Department of Justice and if Trump wins again I'm terrified as to what happens after.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ge%2Fstory-ans

Bill Barr gave a speech at some conservative college last night and it was a doozy.

He said that unlike every one of his predecessors, he does have the power to oversee and override career officials on any case he deems necessary because "letting the most junior members set the agenda might be a good philosophy for a Montessori preschool, but it is no way to run a federal agency”

I'm not an inspirational speaker but I think referring to your employees as preschoolers isn't the way to build morale.

Also, he, with a straight face and apparently forgetting what President he's working for said:

Finally, when asked about Covid-19 he said probably one of the most disgusting and telling GOP lines in recent history:

Followed by one of the 2nd most disgusting lines in recent history:

Just an all-time low for the Department of Justice and if Trump wins again I'm terrified as to what happens after.
    The entire speech was completely enraging. I had to laugh at this, though:

The Justice Department is not a praetorian guard that watches over society impervious to the ebbs and flows of politics.
    Wait, what?

Death Star Fully Operational

The entire speech was completely enraging. I had to laugh at this, though:

Wait, what?
    He's the most political AG we've seen and he said that.
    NYYFANS: Cashman/persona non-grata

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankees1962 View Post
    He's the most political AG we've seen and he said that.
    Aschcroft the AG who helped make the USA pro-torture was pretty bad. But Barr is nothing but a toady for Trump.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information