+ Reply to Thread
Page 318 of 318 FirstFirst ... 218 268 308 315 316 317 318
Results 7,926 to 7,950 of 7950
    NYYF Legend

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    No, as I said, states can't place further restrictions on constitutional qualifications. They can require state and local officials or legislators to live in their districts, but not Congressmen.
    It occurs to me that if Congressmen WERE required to live in their districts, imagine how much fun parties in power would have during gerrymandering time with incumbent representatives of the opposing party. Suddenly they would find themselves in a district including their house and 90+% voters who had never voted for them before. Bye-bye incumbent advantage.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

No, as I said, states can't place further restrictions on constitutional qualifications. They can require state and local officials or legislators to live in their districts, but not Congressmen.
    What about members of Congress who aren't men?

Can't blame Trump for this snafu. At the time of the warning he was in Florida playing golf.
    Let the kids play.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    What about members of Congress who aren't men?
    You said "members."

Quote Originally Posted by Bub View Post
    Can't blame Trump for this snafu. At the time of the warning he was in Florida playing golf.
    And that's a good thing. No phones while he plays either.

An EMA admin. was responsible.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Very stable genius

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...ties-to-devos/

DeVos awards college collection contract to company she has ownership in.

Trump hasn’t drained the swamp he has brought the swamp with him. has to be some conflict of interest ethics issue here.
    my sanity is my biggest strength!

Why public opinion is not a good way to decide civil rights issues:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...mpression=true
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

'merica

https://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/1...ing-fbi-letter

Read the letter the FBI sent MLK to try to convince him to kill himself

History Channel is honoring Martin Luther King Jr. today by playing 10 episodes of his favorite show, American Pickers.

"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to 'order' than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says 'I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;' who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a 'more convenient season.'"

-- Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    History Channel is honoring Martin Luther King Jr. today by playing 10 episodes of his favorite show, American Pickers.
    The History Channel is a sham.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The History Channel is a sham.
    It used to have enough dignity to run shows on Nazis and, occasionally, the JFK assassination. No more.

The New Yorker with another great cover:
    Attached Images
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

Yes, let's keep funding the United States Government in two week increments. That's the most efficient way to run a country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9d6d0578ca4b

Yes, let's keep funding the United States Government in two week increments. That's the most efficient way to run a country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.9d6d0578ca4b
    We have a very detailed process by which an annual Budget for the United States is created. Twelve individual appropriation bills to determine discretionary spending. House and Senate markups, and CBO analysis. All of this is supposed to be in place in time for the beginning of the Fiscal Year, in October of every calendar year.

But Congress steadfastly refuses to fulfill this obligation. Because, planning is difficult, compromise is impossible, and doing your job properly leaves a record of what you've done. So instead, we go by fits and spurts with Continuing Resolutions. Even if they actually accomplish something in this day and age, it's an Omnibus resolution, rather than the twelve spending bills required by, you know, the LAW.

Yet we, as voters, keep re-electing the same ineffective lawmakers, like clockwork. Worse, we vote to re-elect OUR guy, and then complain that others re-elected THEIR guy.

I vote for Republicans more frequently than I do Democrats. However, I never vote a straight party line. There are a great deal of GOP politicians I have no use for, and will not vote for (see Trump, Donald). My GOP Congressman is among them. If he wants my vote, he'll start doing his job. I wish other voters felt the same way.

Term limits. Please. Now.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

OBSESSED!

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    We have a very detailed process by which an annual Budget for the United States is created. Twelve individual appropriation bills to determine discretionary spending. House and Senate markups, and CBO analysis. All of this is supposed to be in place in time for the beginning of the Fiscal Year, in October of every calendar year.

But Congress steadfastly refuses to fulfill this obligation. Because, planning is difficult, compromise is impossible, and doing your job properly leaves a record of what you've done. So instead, we go by fits and spurts with Continuing Resolutions. Even if they actually accomplish something in this day and age, it's an Omnibus resolution, rather than the twelve spending bills required by, you know, the LAW.

Yet we, as voters, keep re-electing the same ineffective lawmakers, like clockwork. Worse, we vote to re-elect OUR guy, and then complain that others re-elected THEIR guy.

I vote for Republicans more frequently than I do Democrats. However, I never vote a straight party line. There are a great deal of GOP politicians I have no use for, and will not vote for (see Trump, Donald). My GOP Congressman is among them. If he wants my vote, he'll start doing his job. I wish other voters felt the same way.

Term limits. Please. Now.
    I'm completely against term limits, because they deprived people of the opportunity to vote for the person they want to represent them. If the advantages of incumbency are too great, then attack those advantages, not the right to run and the right to vote.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm completely against term limits, because they deprived people of the opportunity to vote for the person they want to represent them. If the advantages of incumbency are too great, then attack those advantages, not the right to run and the right to vote.
    Should we repeal the 22nd Amendment? Serious question. I'm not certain it's a good measure. In the last election, had the incumbent been able to run for a third term, he'd have been a much, much better option than the dreck offered up by the two major parties.

As to the bolded, the advantages of incumbency are overwhelming. Sadly, name recognition is a significant factor for many voters, and the incumbent will ALWAYS have that advantage. How do we attack that advantage? If I could envision a means to do so, I'd be in favor of that mechanism, as opposed to term limits. I just don't see how it can be done.

Is the concept of Career Legislators good for the United States? Is that what the Constitution was crafted to give us? Would it honestly be a bad thing to exclude someone from serving more than two or three consecutive terms in Congress? That individual wouldn't be excluded from politics. If you're term-limited in Congress, run for a Senate seat. Run for office at the State or Local level. John Dingell served in Congress for over 59 years. Didn't that serve to block a number of very talented people who might have been better able to serve the people of Michigan?

If more voters pulled the lever based on a learned understanding of the issues, rather than party affiliation or name recognition, the incumbent's advantage would be less. But, sadly, that's not the world we live in.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

The only way Congressional term limits would work is if they also passed a law saying you couldn't go from Congress to a lobbying firm.

Very stable genius

The only way Congressional term limits would work is if they also passed a law saying you couldn't go from Congress to a lobbying firm.
    This is the larger issue

Should we repeal the 22nd Amendment? Serious question. I'm not certain it's a good measure. In the last election, had the incumbent been able to run for a third term, he'd have been a much, much better option than the dreck offered up by the two major parties.

As to the bolded, the advantages of incumbency are overwhelming. Sadly, name recognition is a significant factor for many voters, and the incumbent will ALWAYS have that advantage. How do we attack that advantage? If I could envision a means to do so, I'd be in favor of that mechanism, as opposed to term limits. I just don't see how it can be done.

Is the concept of Career Legislators good for the United States? Is that what the Constitution was crafted to give us? Would it honestly be a bad thing to exclude someone from serving more than two or three consecutive terms in Congress? That individual wouldn't be excluded from politics. If you're term-limited in Congress, run for a Senate seat. Run for office at the State or Local level. John Dingell served in Congress for over 59 years. Didn't that serve to block a number of very talented people who might have been better able to serve the people of Michigan?

If more voters pulled the lever based on a learned understanding of the issues, rather than party affiliation or name recognition, the incumbent's advantage would be less. But, sadly, that's not the world we live in.
    The Constitution was crafted to give us a Congress made up of wealthy gentleman farmers who spent a few months a year in Washington. Thatís obviously not an appropriate model for today. The issues dealt with by Congress are far more varied and complex that they were then, and I donít have a problem with the idea of career legislators who actually learn about those issues in depth. A limit of two or three terms would just make that legislator more reliant on career staffers, party bosses, and lobbyists for their information.

The 22nd Amendment is not my favorite, but itís done. It also suggests that congressional term limits would require another amendment.

The Supreme Court, unfortunately, has made many of the advantages of incumbency impossible to overcome. I still think thereís a better chance of attacking those advantages than of passing an amendment that I find loathsome and anti-democratic (or, if you prefer, anti-republican).

NYYF Legend

I'm not in favor of repealing the 22nd amendment. Though with most popular 2 term presidents since its passage the idea has been at least floated with Reagan, Clinton, W Bush, and Obama. Who knows maybe 3 terms would have been a better limit. At any rate it seem a good check on a President staying too long and perhaps trying to be come a sort of dictator for life.

I am opposed to term limits in congress and senate seems to force an unnecessary learning curve to churn to legislative branch.

I would be in favor of a new Constitutional Amendment that put an upper limit on running for the House, Senate and Presidency. We currently have minimums of 25, 30, & 35. I'd like to see a maximum somewhere between 70-80 where you would be prohibited from running for office.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

The 22nd Amendment is not my favorite, but itís done.
    What's done can be undone. The 18th Amendment was also "done."
    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3
    It also suggests that congressional term limits would require another amendment.
    Fully agree. We are entirely too hesitant to pass Amendments to the Constitution. There should be far more than we currently have, to account for differences between the 18th and 21st Centuries. The Second Amendment MIGHT have made sense in 1791 (although I'm not entirely sure it made sense then, either), but it definitely requires updated language in 2018.

I pretty much agree with you. I'm a staunch advocate of term limits via the ballot box, rather than by fiat. But again, how do we, as a society, overcome the absurd advantage incumbency provides?

There are days when I honestly wonder whether we might be better served by a bunch of gentleman farmers spending a few months a year in Washington, rather than a bunch of lawyers who are nothing more than elitist careerists inside the beltway.

- President Barack Obama

What's done can be undone. The 18th Amendment was also "done."
    Fully agree. We are entirely too hesitant to pass Amendments to the Constitution. There should be far more than we currently have, to account for differences between the 18th and 21st Centuries. The Second Amendment MIGHT have made sense in 1791 (although I'm not entirely sure it made sense then, either), but it definitely requires updated language in 2018.

I pretty much agree with you. I'm a staunch advocate of term limits via the ballot box, rather than by fiat. But again, how do we, as a society, overcome the absurd advantage incumbency provides?

There are days when I honestly wonder whether we might be better served by a bunch of gentleman farmers spending a few months a year in Washington, rather than a bunch of lawyers who are nothing more than elitist careerists inside the beltway.
    The 18th Amendment was the only on to be repealed. Its negative effects were obvious, tangible, and pretty devastating. It shows only that repeal is remotely probable, but itís not something you can really generalize from.

Things have changed an awful lot in the last 85 years. Itís not so much that weíve become hesitant to amend the constitution, itís that itís become politically impossible. 2/3 of both houses and 3/4 of the states? Maybe it will become possible again, but probably not in our lifetimes.
    Repealing the 22nd is the opposite of what youíre looking for, and while the Amendment isnít my favorite, I donít think itís all that important. If I thought a constitutional amendment were feasible, there would be much more important ideas Iíd push for.

Very stable genius

Two thirds of either chamber can’t agree water is wet.

Thread Information