+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 128 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 125 126 127 128
Results 3,176 to 3,193 of 3193
  1. #3176
    time of my life ... ajra21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    i've been a big fan of bernie for around a decade. he has always made sense on the vats majority of issues.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

  2. #3177
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

  3. #3178

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Im a deplorable Trumpkin. And I agree with him 100%. It's not about equality.
    I'm totally shocked that someone who supports an ignorant, misogynistic racist agrees with this. Shocked, I say.

    You're both wrong.

  4. #3179
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I'm totally shocked that someone who supports an ignorant, misogynistic racist agrees with this. Shocked, I say.

    You're both wrong.
    The fact that you hate him so much makes my support that much sweeter to enjoy. You cannot speak of him without your laundry list of insults. And yet you're supposed to be so tolerant. It's just fantastic.
    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

  5. #3180

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Cool dude.

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.55decff8dbbf

    Before William C. Bradford was appointed by the Trump administration to run the Energy Department’s Office of Indian Energy, he tweeted a slew of disparaging remarks about the real and imagined ethnic, religious and gender identities of former president Barack Obama, Facebook co-founder Mark Zuckerberg, TV news host Megyn Kelly and Japanese Americans during World War II.







  6. #3181

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The fact that you hate him so much makes my support that much sweeter to enjoy. You cannot speak of him without your laundry list of insults. And yet you're supposed to be so tolerant. It's just fantastic.
    This really would be amusing if it weren't so sad, because everything I said about him is true.

    I don't tolerate intolerance. This is a simple concept.

  7. #3182

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    The fact that you hate him so much makes my support that much sweeter to enjoy. You cannot speak of him without your laundry list of insults. And yet you're supposed to be so tolerant. It's just fantastic.



  8. #3183
    NYYF Legend

    RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Manchester, NJ

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    i've been a big fan of bernie for around a decade. he has always made sense on the vats majority of issues.
    Same. I listened to his weekly spot on the Thom Hartmann show as much as possible since it started shortly after he joined the Senate. It annoys me when some segments of the "left" think I'm just some idiot who joined a bandwagon and really shouldn't have a say in the future of the Democratic Party.

  9. #3184
    Do not vex me mortal Hitman23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Long Island

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    This really would be amusing if it weren't so sad, because everything I said about him is true.

    I don't tolerate intolerance. This is a simple concept.
    Everything you say about him is your opinion of him. It is not fact. You do not know the man. You do not know what is in his heart. I realize you've come to your opinions based on actions and words you've seen/read about. But I don't believe your conclusions were made with an open mind and were already tainted by preconceived notions. You are biased when evaluating how you feel and there isn't a damn thing the man can do that will change that. All of that is fine. But your lack of tolerance isn't about intolerance. It's about a difference of opinion. He views things in a way you don't agree with. It's absolutely fine that you disagree you have every right to and I absolutely accept how you feel. But you don't offer the same respect. What bugs me about that is your entire viewpoint is based on tolerance and that should include tolerating things you disagree with.

    I'm pointing out inconsistency here. There are actions, opinions, and values I am completely intolerant of. For instance the KKK. Radical Islam. Sharia Law. Child predators. Red Sox fans. It's only human to not tolerate things you find repulsive. But don't preach about tolerance when you yourself are choosing what fits your own views. Because real tolerance is accepting things that oppose your own beliefs and opinions. Saying you're tolerant of things you already have no problem with is not tolerance at all. It's just agreeing.
    If fascism comes to America, it will come under the guise of anti-fascism.

    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

  10. #3185
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    I've lost track of which thread had which discussion - in particular, the one about Islamic v. non-Islamic terrorism. This article has a ton of research behind it, and while that doesn't make it irrefutable, it means refutation would also require a ton of research.

    From January 2008 to the end of 2016, we identified 63 cases of Islamist domestic terrorism, meaning incidents motivated by a theocratic political ideology espoused by such groups as the Islamic State. The vast majority of these (76 percent) were foiled plots, meaning no attack took place.

    During the same period, we found that right-wing extremists were behind nearly twice as many incidents: 115. Just over a third of these incidents (35 percent) were foiled plots. The majority were acts of terrorist violence that involved deaths, injuries or damaged property.

    Right-wing extremist terrorism was more often deadly: Nearly a third of incidents involved fatalities, for a total of 79 deaths, while 13 percent of Islamist cases caused fatalities. (The total deaths associated with Islamist incidents were higher, however, reaching 90, largely due to the 2009 mass shooting at Fort Hood in Texas.)

    Incidents related to left-wing ideologies, including ecoterrorism and animal rights, were comparatively rare, with 19 incidents causing seven fatalities – making the shooting attack on Republican members of Congress earlier this month somewhat of an anomaly.

    Nearly half (48 percent) of Islamist incidents in our database were sting operations, more than four times the rate for far-right (12 percent) or far-left (10.5 percent) incidents.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

  11. #3186
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Everything you say about him is your opinion of him. It is not fact. You do not know the man. You do not know what is in his heart. I realize you've come to your opinions based on actions and words you've seen/read about. But I don't believe your conclusions were made with an open mind and were already tainted by preconceived notions. You are biased when evaluating how you feel and there isn't a damn thing the man can do that will change that. All of that is fine. But your lack of tolerance isn't about intolerance. It's about a difference of opinion. He views things in a way you don't agree with. It's absolutely fine that you disagree you have every right to and I absolutely accept how you feel. But you don't offer the same respect. What bugs me about that is your entire viewpoint is based on tolerance and that should include tolerating things you disagree with.

    I'm pointing out inconsistency here. There are actions, opinions, and values I am completely intolerant of. For instance the KKK. Radical Islam. Sharia Law. Child predators. Red Sox fans. It's only human to not tolerate things you find repulsive. But don't preach about tolerance when you yourself are choosing what fits your own views. Because real tolerance is accepting things that oppose your own beliefs and opinions. Saying you're tolerant of things you already have no problem with is not tolerance at all. It's just agreeing.
    I think what you refer to as "real tolerance" would actually be closer to "absolutist tolerance," and I'm not sure anyone who practices that exists. It can't be that any intolerance whatsoever means you can't preach tolerance. In that case, there would be two types of people: empty vessels who believe nothing and intolerant people. There needs to be a line somewhere for the common usage of tolerance to mean anything. If, say, thinking Hitler's beliefs were bad* is intolerant, then no one in the world is tolerant, and what's the use of the descriptor tolerant in that case?

    *Before anyone misunderstands, I'm not comparing Trump to Hitler. Just using him as a demonstration that there needs to be a line somewhere or else the adjective tolerant doesn't mean anything. I don't know precisely where that line should be.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  12. #3187
    NYYF Legend

    RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Manchester, NJ

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Everything you say about him is your opinion of him. It is not fact. You do not know the man. You do not know what is in his heart. I realize you've come to your opinions based on actions and words you've seen/read about. But I don't believe your conclusions were made with an open mind and were already tainted by preconceived notions. You are biased when evaluating how you feel and there isn't a damn thing the man can do that will change that. All of that is fine. But your lack of tolerance isn't about intolerance. It's about a difference of opinion. He views things in a way you don't agree with. It's absolutely fine that you disagree you have every right to and I absolutely accept how you feel. But you don't offer the same respect. What bugs me about that is your entire viewpoint is based on tolerance and that should include tolerating things you disagree with.

    I'm pointing out inconsistency here. There are actions, opinions, and values I am completely intolerant of. For instance the KKK. Radical Islam. Sharia Law. Child predators. Red Sox fans. It's only human to not tolerate things you find repulsive. But don't preach about tolerance when you yourself are choosing what fits your own views. Because real tolerance is accepting things that oppose your own beliefs and opinions. Saying you're tolerant of things you already have no problem with is not tolerance at all. It's just agreeing.
    "Grab 'em by the pussy" seems to be a relatively normal thing to be intolerant of. The Vice President wanting to electroshock kids who may be gay seems like something we should be intolerant of. Sorry, I feel no need to let these people get away with it based on false equivalency. Let VP Pence go cry to Mother if he doesn't like it.

  13. #3188

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I've lost track of which thread had which discussion - in particular, the one about Islamic v. non-Islamic terrorism. This article has a ton of research behind it, and while that doesn't make it irrefutable, it means refutation would also require a ton of research.
    The discussion came about because we were counting the number of incidents without taking into account the relative sizes of the groups committing the acts.

    Since Muslims in this country make up 0.9% of the population, I think it's fair to say that they are committing more acts of terrorism per capita than any other domestic group.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

  14. #3189
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    The discussion came about because we were counting the number of incidents without taking into account the relative sizes of the groups committing the acts.

    Since Muslims in this country make up 0.9% of the population, I think it's fair to say that they are committing more acts of terrorism per capita than any other domestic group.
    My post wasn't meant to be a specific response to a specific argument, especially one so narrow. I think it's a really important investigative piece that happened to be on a topic that was being discussed. The article has nothing to do with per-capital rates, it has to do with our government's priorities v. actual threats.

  15. #3190

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    My post wasn't meant to be a specific response to a specific argument, especially one so narrow. I think it's a really important investigative piece that happened to be on a topic that was being discussed. The article has nothing to do with per-capital rates, it has to do with our government's priorities v. actual threats.
    And what do you conclude from the article?
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

  16. #3191

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    This was my point. It is obvious that there are far more non Muslims than Muslims here, that wasn't the point. I don't see either as anything to be frightened of but If you had to choose one, it would not be the Muslim.
    Actually, if you had to choose one, it would definitely be the Muslim. Depending on how you categorize right-wing extremists (white? Christian?) they are roughly 35X more likely to commit a domestic act of terrorism than Christians (70% of the population) or white people (77%).
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners.

  17. #3192

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    I think what you refer to as "real tolerance" would actually be closer to "absolutist tolerance," and I'm not sure anyone who practices that exists. It can't be that any intolerance whatsoever means you can't preach tolerance. In that case, there would be two types of people: empty vessels who believe nothing and intolerant people. There needs to be a line somewhere for the common usage of tolerance to mean anything. If, say, thinking Hitler's beliefs were bad* is intolerant, then no one in the world is tolerant, and what's the use of the descriptor tolerant in that case?

    *Before anyone misunderstands, I'm not comparing Trump to Hitler. Just using him as a demonstration that there needs to be a line somewhere or else the adjective tolerant doesn't mean anything. I don't know precisely where that line should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    "Grab 'em by the pussy" seems to be a relatively normal thing to be intolerant of. The Vice President wanting to electroshock kids who may be gay seems like something we should be intolerant of. Sorry, I feel no need to let these people get away with it based on false equivalency. Let VP Pence go cry to Mother if he doesn't like it.
    Thank you both. I get very tired of trying to explain that I don't tolerate sexual predators or gay haters or racists. I don't tolerate child abusers or elder abusers.

    Tolerating those things would be complicity in them.

  18. #3193

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Everything you say about him is your opinion of him. It is not fact. You do not know the man. You do not know what is in his heart. I realize you've come to your opinions based on actions and words you've seen/read about. But I don't believe your conclusions were made with an open mind and were already tainted by preconceived notions. You are biased when evaluating how you feel and there isn't a damn thing the man can do that will change that. All of that is fine. But your lack of tolerance isn't about intolerance. It's about a difference of opinion. He views things in a way you don't agree with. It's absolutely fine that you disagree you have every right to and I absolutely accept how you feel. But you don't offer the same respect. What bugs me about that is your entire viewpoint is based on tolerance and that should include tolerating things you disagree with.

    I'm pointing out inconsistency here. There are actions, opinions, and values I am completely intolerant of. For instance the KKK. Radical Islam. Sharia Law. Child predators. Red Sox fans. It's only human to not tolerate things you find repulsive. But don't preach about tolerance when you yourself are choosing what fits your own views. Because real tolerance is accepting things that oppose your own beliefs and opinions. Saying you're tolerant of things you already have no problem with is not tolerance at all. It's just agreeing.
    If someone believes that Trump is a sexist, xenophobic, islamaphobic, racist, which are all things that someone could reasonably find repulsive, why would you want or expect them to be tolerant of that?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (4 members and 3 guests)

  1. THEBOSS84
  2. SEEKNAY512

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts