+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 62 112 ... LastLast

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Republican plan for healthcare would redirect money from poor to rich. Because of course it would. Such noble Christians they are.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/u...imes&smtyp=cur

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

i'm shocked. shocked, i tell you.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

That article (and title) is misleading and a gross mispresentation.

But the current system is set up to ensure that low and middle-income Americans can afford the cost of their premiums.
    Tell that to the middle-income working class who have seen their premiums go up to as high as 115% and deductibles rise. Tell that to all insured under the ACA that are watching major health insurance companies drop like flies.

The only ones who can currently afford good coverage under Obamacare that aren't covered at work are the rich.

SJW and proud

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Republican plan for healthcare would redirect money from poor to rich. Because of course it would. Such noble Christians they are.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/u...imes&smtyp=cur
    I ann screwed under Trump's plan as will many of the poor getting coverage underneath Medicaid as that is being gutted. Right now if I lost my job I could get a comparable policy on the ACA for $14 a month (the right loved omitting the subsidies when calculating cost). When this passes I would be charged $400-500 a month on COBRA which with just unemployment coming in I can't afford. My anti rejection meds cost over $8,000 a month. So I could stay and probably die or move to Canada. Oh the wealthy would get a nice tax cut too.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

The latest I heard is they (meaning the GOP) are considering establishing a high risk pool and placing all with those costly conditions in there which is great for the premiums of healthy insured but the fed will have to cover a huge chunk of the outrageously expensive premiums in the high risk pool. It's just robbing Peter to pay Paul and in the long run it will probably be even more expensive to tax payers.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

SJW and proud

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    The latest I heard is they (meaning the GOP) are considering establishing a high risk pool and placing all with those costly conditions in there which is great for the premiums of healthy insured but the fed will have to cover a huge chunk of the outrageously expensive premiums in the high risk pool unless. It's just robbing Peter to pay Paul and in the long run it will probably be even more expensive to tax payers.
    They would have to subsidize it and heavily. If they set up a market of people like me, premiums would be absurd.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

NYYF Legend

What are the simulated numbers of a prior plane that didn't cost a trillion dollars?

Also, air-to-air kills.... Simulated air-to-air kills is probably the only air-to-air kills this thing will ever have.

trillion dollar for 2k planes to last 60 years

but sure, bloggers know more than generals and planners

NYYF Legend

Correct. Planners are very good at lining their pockets with tax money.

lol sure

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    trillion dollar for 2k planes to last 60 years

but sure, bloggers know more than generals and planners
    We still have crewmembers flying B-52s. That was already an old plane when I started flying it 37 years ago. The newest models were built in 1960 and 1961. There are now people flying it who had GREAT grandparents who flew the same aircraft.

New military hardware is expensive. And, with the exception of the B-52, new military hardware has a shelf life. Who's using the same computer they were decades ago? Anybody? Well, I got news for you, our F-15 pilots (and most certainly our B-52 pilots) are strapping on obsolete technology every single day.

I'm sure that if NYYFans was around in the late 50s, people would have complained about the B-52's price tag.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    We still have crewmembers flying B-52s. That was already an old plane when I started flying it 37 years ago. The newest models were built in 1960 and 1961. There are now people flying it who had GREAT grandparents who flew the same aircraft.

New military hardware is expensive. And, with the exception of the B-52, new military hardware has a shelf life. Who's using the same computer they were decades ago? Anybody? Well, I got news for you, our F-15 pilots (and most certainly our B-52 pilots) are strapping on obsolete technology every single day.

I'm sure that if NYYFans was around in the late 50s, people would have complained about the B-52's price tag.
    That's mind-blowing....and unacceptable. I don't get it.

b-52's are around because they are still very good at doing their job. dropping lots of payload on lightly defended targets. you can see videos of in service b-52s in action. they look like museum pieces dragged from the scrapyard, with holes in hull and everything. probably because a lot of them are indeed pieced together from scavenged parts

B-53s are amazing. I talked to a retired pilot about them at an air show a while back. He told me that they were incredibly under-engineered (Maynard, please correct me if I have this wrong) and that is what has allowed them to stay usable while other planes have come and gone. They were designed to leave room for growth. Most other planes are designed to specifically accommodate the flight hardware and avionics that were made for it and therefore cannot be upgraded or swapped out. The B-52's design allows for all kinds of changes to those things as well as the weapons systems. He also said they over-engineered the airframe itself which is how they've remained so durable. Whoever designed it originally was pretty brilliant although I bet they stil never thought they'd still be flying today.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    B-53s are amazing.
    I'm assuming that's a typo. Yes, B-52s are amazing. B-53s are amazing, too (the B-53 isn't an airplane, but a really, really big bomb).
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara
    I talked to a retired pilot about them at an air show a while back. He told me that they were incredibly under-engineered (Maynard, please correct me if I have this wrong) and that is what has allowed them to stay usable while other planes have come and gone.
    I guess. Depends on what he means by "under-engineered." It's a relatively simple platform. Not tons of sexy fly-by-wire electronics. I don't know that they engineered in room for growth, or if some of that was serendipitous. When you build an airplane with components powered by vacuum tubes, you need a lot of cooling space. As you upgrade to solid state components, that cooling space becomes just empty areas that you can use for additional, more modern, electronics.

It was certainly not designed for low level bombing, but that's been its mission for decades. It would certainly be nice if it had a bigger bomb bay (most of the inside of the fuselage and virtually the entire wing structure are designed to hold fuel). A lot more maneuverability would be great (the plane has no ailerons, and turns by spoilers only, which is cumbersome and ancient).

Regardless, I think two things can be stated as absolute fact:
    1. The B-52 was one of the best returns on investment our government has ever had.
    2. It's shameful that we have present-day flight crews flying in hardware that's this old.

Quote Originally Posted by awy
    b-52's are around because they are still very good at doing their job.
    Also because we've had B-52 crew members assigned to it who are ALSO very good at doing THEIR job.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Utah GOP chair wrote this letter to the editor today, in 2017. No, it's not from 1923.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Utah GOP chair wrote this letter to the editor today, in 2017. No, it's not from 1923.
    That would seem to be the vice chair of a county-level GOP committee. In Utah, where there are likely more stay-at-home mothers as they have the largest average family size in the nation.

Regardless, I honestly doubt the vice chair of the Wasatch County GOP speaks for the national party. He's entitled to his 1923 opinion. He probably should have left off his vice chairmanship, and just wrote as a (stone age) individual.

- President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

Letting the free market determine pay for men/women. Makes sense to me.

Utah. Pretty place. Wouldn't want to live there.

The skiing is fantastic.

- President Barack Obama

Addicted Member

They got a lake where it's difficult to drown and the genealogy resources are unbelievable.
    Happy 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodoo View Post
    They got a lake where it's difficult to drown and the genealogy resources are unbelievable.
    Great place to visit. The southern canyon regions are probably my favorite areas of the country. Wouldn't want to live there.

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

My father's turbine group at Pratt & Whitney (he's long since retired) worked on the afterburners for the F15 and F16 fighter jets. His group has a couple patents on one of them (can't remember which...it's hanging up in his office/den/old-man-cave).

I guess I was a "Pratt brat" growing up in Connecticut...

Addicted Member

Great place to visit. The southern canyon regions are probably my favorite areas of the country. Wouldn't want to live there.
    I can easily agree with you!
    Happy 2017!

Thread Information