+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 216 FirstFirst ... 39 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 59 99 149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 5396

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    you really don't understand his point? People are pouncing on his terrible choice of words and yet false1 is correct, those same folks have described people between the coasts as uneducated and stupid and dismissed their opinions as "voting against their own good". He is stating the hypocrisy of the situation. Are the people of Hawaii to be respected more that the people of say Kansas? Or does it not fit the narrative?

It's an observation, an accurate one. And he's not saying Sessions was in the right.
    What private citizens say is not comparable to what the attorney general says. And "they did it first" is a poor defense. I just think this administration is full of mean-spirited ignoramuses and they keep proving me right.

NYYF Legend

you really don't understand his point? People are pouncing on his terrible choice of words and yet false1 is correct, those same folks have described people between the coasts as uneducated and stupid and dismissed their opinions as "voting against their own good". He is stating the hypocrisy of the situation. Are the people of Hawaii to be respected more that the people of say Kansas? Or does it not fit the narrative?

It's an observation, an accurate one. And he's not saying Sessions was in the right.
    Buyer's remorse?

Of course he's not saying Sessions was in the right. What Sessions said was indefensible. But calling out flyover country for voting against their own self-interest is a matter of opinion that many people hold. Books are written about this stuff. Books aren't written about Attorney Generals failing to acknowledge how the United States judicial system operates though.
    Mr Coffee: "I definitely think people are overreacting to the Arpaio pardon."

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    I agree that was an ill advised comment. Offensive and just plain stupid.

However, the selective outrage is interesting. Many of the same people up in arms about this didn't seem quite so offended with comments like "basket of deplorables", "flyover country" or our very own homegrown "dirt people." I seem to remember some chortling or even words of support when those comments were thrown down .
    Your selective outrage over others' selective outrage is so noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    this is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Troll fail. I denounced Sessions comments, along with the others I noted. Nothing selective about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Huh? The point is that he's the freaking US Attorney General and doesn't seem to know how the system works.
    So you're saying he doesn't know Hawaii is a state? C'mon.

However, the selective outrage is interesting. Many of the same people up in arms about this didn't seem quite so offended with comments like "basket of deplorables", "flyover country" or our very own homegrown "dirt people." I seem to remember some chortling or even words of support when those comments were thrown down .
    "I’ve now been in 57 states-I think one left to go." - Barrack Obama

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Would this guy be considered ignorant as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post

You beat me to it.

NYYF Legend

You convinced me. Sessions was right. Because the judge came from Hawaii he has no power to say no to Trump.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Buyer's remorse?
    Not even a little

So you think Sessions just misspoke? Not only in referring to Hawaii as an island in the Pacific but in what to me appears to be disrespect for the judiciary?

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    So you think Sessions just misspoke? Not only in referring to Hawaii as an island in the Pacific but in what to me appears to be disrespect for the judiciary?
    I think Maynerd just wants us to go back and research every public remark made by any democrat in the past to make sure that no one said anything stupid and without checking himself to even find out if the people criticizing Sessions also criticized that democrat assumed they didn't to win he Internet.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

I think referring to Hawaii as an island in the Pacific was simply a misstatement. The disrespect for the judiciary was probably real, but it's not that uncommon to talk about "nine unelected judges overruling the will of the people" blah blah blah. Trump manages to add an extra level of insult - "so-called judge" - but the kind of thing Sessions said is practically boilerplate.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think referring to Hawaii as an island in the Pacific was simply a misstatement. The disrespect for the judiciary was probably real, but it's not that uncommon to talk about "nine unelected judges overruling the will of the people" blah blah blah. Trump manages to add an extra level of insult - "so-called judge" - but the kind of thing Sessions said is practically boilerplate.
    To me I highly doubt Sessions didn't realize Hawaii was a state. Like with Trump's "so called Judge" remark, the issue is with a high ranking member of the executive branch questioning the authority of the judicial branch.

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    To me I highly doubt Sessions didn't realize Hawaii was a state. Like with Trump's "so called Judge" remark, the issue is with a high ranking member of the executive branch questioning the authority of the judicial branch.
    Bingo. That's how I took the remark. It was a jab. You cannot possibly believe he forgot what Hawaii was.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Not so sure that referring to Hawaii as an island in the Pacific wasn't also a foolishly calculated disrespectful comment. I'm not quite sure how one could make that comment even in passing, let alone in public, without realizing Hawaiians would likely be offended. Agree with the rest, although just because it's possibly boilerplate doesn't make it any less foolish.

I'm not quite sure how one could make that comment even in passing, let alone in public, without realizing Hawaiians would likely be offended.
    First, Americans are far too easily offended. We need thicker skins. All of us.

Second, politicians have long since stopped caring about offending Americans. Do you suspect some people were offended at Obama's "cling to their Bibles and their guns" comment? Do you think anyone was offended by being in a "basket of deplorables?" Do you think much of the country is offended by being categorized as "flyover?" Do you think almost everyone was offended by at least one of Candidate Trump's outrageous statements?

So, what's the outcome of the Attorney General offending Hawaiians? Probably means they won't vote Republican any more. Oh, wait...

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

First, Americans are far too easily offended. We need thicker skins. All of us.
    Sure, but we also need smarter politicians. There is nothing gained from the comment. It potentially alienates and offends citizens of this country. Now, if they were rioting or starting up campaigns like #hawexit or something I'd agree. But dumb, offensive comments like the one he made can be called out.

Second, politicians have long since stopped caring about offending Americans. Do you suspect some people were offended at Obama's "cling to their Bibles and their guns" comment? Do you think anyone was offended by being in a "basket of deplorables?" Do you think much of the country is offended by being categorized as "flyover?" Do you think almost everyone was offended by at least one of Candidate Trump's outrageous statements?
    Yes, I suspect they were. I don't think anyone in senior leadership positions in the government should say anything demeaning to their constituents. Jeff Sessions is every bit as accountable to a democrat in Hawaii as he is to someone who voted for him. I thought my post was clear, that all these types of comments are dumb and divisive. And those who get selectively offended along party lines perpetuate that pattern.

So, what's the outcome of the Attorney General offending Hawaiians? Probably means they won't vote Republican any more. Oh, wait...
    Ultimately, nothing. Doesn't make it any less dumb.

#hawexit

NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

“Losers look stuff up while the rest of us are out carpin’ all them diems”

What private citizens say is not comparable to what the attorney general says. And "they did it first" is a poor defense. I just think this administration is full of mean-spirited ignoramuses and they keep proving me right.
    I'm not trying to compare what you and I say to what Jeff Sessions says. What I am stating is that the same people who are offended by his statement are the same people who have either said or laughed at the idea that people in middle America are stupid and uneducated. I am pointing out the reaction to it. It's hypocritical. Why is it okay to make fun of middle America? Why is it overlooked? If you don't like what was said about Hawaii than you shouldn't support that, either.

I embraced the "deplorable" term, because it was funny. It did not offend me. However that was just as much of a mistake as this. The big difference is when you take a jab at conservatives, we roll with it. Liberals automatically get offended. At everything.

It's a good representation of how the two sides think.

This is not to say I support what Sessions said. I think it was probably not a smart thing to do. It was also not a mistake on his part it, it was a jab. He's not a dumb guy.
    NYYFans Fantasy Baseball - Evil Empire

“Losers look stuff up while the rest of us are out carpin’ all them diems”

Sure, but we also need smarter politicians.
    Absolutely. But why would anyone that's smart become a politician? Every word you say is put under a microscope. You're automatically the enemy of almost 50% of those you represent. In most cases, you take a pretty large pay cut.

You could make the argument that a person isn't particularly smart based solely on his decision to go into politics.

- President Barack Obama

NYYF Legend

It`s also a National Cemetery.....and a Military Out Post for the American west coast........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    You convinced me. Sessions was right. Because the judge came from Hawaii he has no power to say no to Trump.
    A judge Sessions voted "yay" to confirm.
    Not really concerned with Session's statement about HI.
    I do find it troubling that everyone in 45*'s administration challenges our judiciary.
    The presidency doesn't change who you are. It reveals who you are. First Lady Michelle Obama (2015)

NYYF Legend

I'm not trying to compare what you and I say to what Jeff Sessions says. What I am stating is that the same people who are offended by his statement are the same people who have either said or laughed at the idea that people in middle America are stupid and uneducated. I am pointing out the reaction to it. It's hypocritical. Why is it okay to make fun of middle America? Why is it overlooked? If you don't like what was said about Hawaii than you shouldn't support that, either.

I embraced the "deplorable" term, because it was funny. It did not offend me. However that was just as much of a mistake as this. The big difference is when you take a jab at conservatives, we roll with it. Liberals automatically get offended. At everything.

It's a good representation of how the two sides think.

This is not to say I support what Sessions said. I think it was probably not a smart thing to do. It was also not a mistake on his part it, it was a jab. He's not a dumb guy.
    I`m just relieved he new it was in the Pacific.........

"Happy Wife.........Happy Life" - unknown

Thread Information