+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

I closed the Election 2016 thread, because it’s clearly old news. In its place, I opened a thread to discuss the President, and I’m opening this one to discuss Current Events that don’t necessarily center around the President.Often, the Election thread went off on tangents.I’m thinking of this as a stand-alone thread to be a home for those tangent discussions.
    When the discussion gets around to politics, the same ground rules will apply as I stated in the President Trump thread:

GROUND RULES

1. Keep it courteous and respectful. Disagree all you want, but watch the tone.
    2. No personal attacks.
    3. Avoid speculation on what another poster “really means.” It’s tedious.
    4. Don’t state your opinion as fact.
    5. Show some respect toward the office. You don’t need to respect President Trump, but I won’t tolerate blatant disrespect. If you don’t understand the difference, you don’t need to participate.
    6. Keep it courteous and respectful. [I know. That’s also Rule #1. It’s important enough that it needs to be repeated.]

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Re: Non-Presdiential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own hread Thread

Hillary is being a good trooper today. You know this is killing her.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Non-Presdiential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own hread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    Hillary is being a good trooper today. You know this is killing her.
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“DAMMIT BILL YOU SAID WE WERE GOING TO BRUNCH&quot; <a href="https://t.co/ueJSfDZaSV">pic.twitter.com/ueJSfDZaSV</a></p>&mdash; Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/822464550398296069">January 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

We think our inauguration is bad? I have to give credit to Kevin, who saw this one coming:

The political standoff in Gambia intensified on Thursday as foreign troops crossed the border with orders to dislodge a repressive leader who has refused to step down after losing a presidential election last month.

Gambia’s erratic leader, Yahya Jammeh, seized power in a coup 22 years ago and once said he could rule for a billion years. But on Thursday the Senegalese military headed toward the capital of Gambia, Banjul, where Mr. Jammeh has been holed up in the state house, insisting that his rule is still valid.

The new President was sworn in in the Gambian embassy in Senegal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/w...ya-jammeh.html
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Assange being a lying liar:

In a Q&A on Periscope today, Julian Assange continued to squirm around questions over what exactly would be required for him to fulfill his promise to face charges in the United States should President Obama grant clemency to Chelsea Manning, as he did on Tuesday.
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14...e-requirements

I think awy suggested he should have been "drone'd" years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Assange being a lying liar:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14...e-requirements

I think awy suggested he should have been "drone'd" years ago.

You'd have to hit the Ecuadorian embassy in London, which might not be taken too well.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Truman and LBJ are too high.

Based on the liberal colleges of the participants, I'm not in the least surprised.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    CSPAN released their latest Presidential Historians survey today (the third time it has been released.)

Barack Obama debuted at #12. The top 4 stayed identical to the last release, 2009, with Lincoln, Washington FDR, and Teddy Roosevelt. Dwight Eisenhower jumped from 8 to 5 at the expense of Truman and JFK, who dropped to 6 and 8 respectively. Rounding out the top 10 were Thomas Jefferson at #7, Ronald Reagan at #9, and LBJ at #10. James Buchanan stayed at the worst spot, where he's been since the poll debuted:

https://www.c-span.org/presidentsurv.../?page=overall
    Few thoughts:

How is Andrew Johnson not the worst?
    Reagan should be in the bottom 10, not the top 10. He was horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    I have a newfound respect for Truman after reading this book.
    http://a.co/eXtbkUK
    The General vs. the President: MacArthur and Truman at the Brink of Nuclear War

NYYF Legend

So is Reagan.
    Mr Coffee: "I definitely think people are overreacting to the Arpaio pardon."

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    So is Reagan.
    The president that threw the gas on income inequality with his failed trickle down economics.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

LBJ is like top 5 easy. reagan overrated.

jfk should be higher too

macarthur was like the military's version of trump. just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    LBJ is like top 5 easy.
    Escalating the Vietnam War? No thanks.
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

Truman, maybe, but I'm not sure I agree on LBJ. LBJ did a hell of a lot of good things. If not for Vietnam (and I realize that's about as enormous an "if not for" as you can get) I think he'd be remembered as one of our better presidents. I think he's quite underappreciated for many things, though he also deserves plenty of shame for that war.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Truman, maybe, but I'm not sure I agree on LBJ. LBJ did a hell of a lot of good things. If not for Vietnam (and I realize that's about as enormous an "if not for" as you can get) I think he'd be remembered as one of our better presidents. I think he's quite underappreciated for many things, though he also deserves plenty of shame for that war.
    The Civil Rights Act was fab. The Vietnam War escalation was horrific. I don't think the good of one can make up for the horror of the other.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    The Civil Rights Act was fab. The Vietnam War escalation was horrific. I don't think the good of one can make up for the horror of the other.
    It's not one to one, though. The question is how much the MANY goods make up for the horror of the bad. People don't realize how much he did. The Civil Rights Act, sure, but the Voting Rights Act? Head Start? Medicare? Medicaid? Expansion of Food stamps? Many common sense gun control measures (not being able to order guns by mail, not being able to buy a gun if you're a felon, etc.), the Job and Teacher Corps, warnings on cigarettes, the Clean Air Act, the federal funding of public education? The National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, public broadcasting? Basically half of what Republicans are trying to gut these days? All LBJ. I don't know if there's another president other than perhaps FDR who managed to pass so much sweeping legislation on such a wide variety of issues.

I don't know what the ultimate answer is. He is largely defined by Vietnam, and he made his bed in that regard.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

It's not one to one, though. The question is how much the MANY goods make up for the horror of the bad. People don't realize how much he did. The Civil Rights Act, sure, but the Voting Rights Act? Head Start? Medicare? Medicaid? Expansion of Food stamps? Many common sense gun control measures (not being able to order guns by mail, not being able to buy a gun if you're a felon, etc.), the Job and Teacher Corps, warnings on cigarettes, the Clean Air Act, the federal funding of public education? The National Endowment for the Arts, National Endowment for the Humanities, public broadcasting? Basically half of what Republicans are trying to gut these days? All LBJ. I don't know if there's another president other than perhaps FDR who managed to pass so much sweeping legislation on such a wide variety of issues.

I don't know what the ultimate answer is. He is largely defined by Vietnam, and he made his bed in that regard.
    Yes, all true. Lots of great things. Vietnam was just so horrific. Millions of civilians - children - were slaughtered. Yes, lots of that was the North Vietnamese, but lots of it was us. And we had no business being there. Obviously Johnson didn't get us there, but he worsened it.

It's really difficult to rate and rank him, I think, because he did so much good on one hand but so much awful on the other.

NYYF Legend

If you left the thousands he is responsible for killing out I agree. He was one of the best from a social programs aspect ever. But he is responsible for the deaths of thousands in a war we had no business being in. I don't see how the first part makes the second any less horrid. And as you said he is largely defined by Vietnam just like Bush is with Iraq. But I agree with you his social advances were incredible.
    SJW - bad attempt at insulting people that care about other's rights and not just their own.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...droid-motorola

Publishers have cancelled the release of book by Breitbart editor and alt-right provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos amid controversy over pro-paedophilia remarks made in an unearthed podcast.

"After careful consideration, [Simon & Schuster] and its [Threshold Editions] have cancelled publication of Dangerous by Milo Yiannopoulos," tweeted Simon & Schuster spokesperson Adam Rothberg.
    Milo and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.

Two men shot in January near the Mexico border in Texas were wounded by "friendly fire" from their hunting parties — not undocumented Mexican immigrants, as one of the men had claimed, according to police.

Walker Daugherty and Michael Bryant — both of whom are guides with Redwing Outfitters, which promises "a Christian atmosphere, fun hardworking professional guides and a ton of enthusiasm" — were indicted on charges of using deadly conduct by by discharging firearms in the direction of others, San Antonio's KTSA reported.
    https://mic.com/articles/169069/texa...-it#.xmbSdal5A
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.indep...droid-motorola

Milo and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day.
    That's great. That guy is repulsive.

How much of a scumbag do you have to be to blame undocumented immigrants for that? And yet they call themselves Christians.

Curious, and a serious question; are any of the ladies here planning on participating in the "A day without women" strike tomorrow"?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    Curious, and a serious question; are any of the ladies here planning on participating in the "A day without women" strike tomorrow"?
    I didn't know about this until you mentioned it.

Seems kind of childish and irresponsible to me.

Did the vagina hat march accomplish anything?

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hitman23 View Post
    I'm going to work but I won't buy anything. I'm a terrible activist but I support all the passionate women out there. I have friends that will be participating.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Thread Information