+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 92 1 2 3 4 11 51 ... LastLast

Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

I closed the Election 2016 thread, because it’s clearly old news. In its place, I opened a thread to discuss the President, and I’m opening this one to discuss Current Events that don’t necessarily center around the President.Often, the Election thread went off on tangents.I’m thinking of this as a stand-alone thread to be a home for those tangent discussions.
    When the discussion gets around to politics, the same ground rules will apply as I stated in the President Trump thread:

GROUND RULES

1. Keep it courteous and respectful. Disagree all you want, but watch the tone.
    2. No personal attacks.
    3. Avoid speculation on what another poster “really means.” It’s tedious.
    4. Don’t state your opinion as fact.
    5. Show some respect toward the office. You don’t need to respect President Trump, but I won’t tolerate blatant disrespect. If you don’t understand the difference, you don’t need to participate.
    6. Keep it courteous and respectful. [I know. That’s also Rule #1. It’s important enough that it needs to be repeated.]

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

Re: Non-Presdiential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own hread Thread

Hillary is being a good trooper today. You know this is killing her.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Re: Non-Presdiential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own hread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“DAMMIT BILL YOU SAID WE WERE GOING TO BRUNCH&quot; <a href="https://t.co/ueJSfDZaSV">pic.twitter.com/ueJSfDZaSV</a></p>&mdash; Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/822464550398296069">January 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

We think our inauguration is bad? I have to give credit to Kevin, who saw this one coming:

The political standoff in Gambia intensified on Thursday as foreign troops crossed the border with orders to dislodge a repressive leader who has refused to step down after losing a presidential election last month.

Gambia’s erratic leader, Yahya Jammeh, seized power in a coup 22 years ago and once said he could rule for a billion years. But on Thursday the Senegalese military headed toward the capital of Gambia, Banjul, where Mr. Jammeh has been holed up in the state house, insisting that his rule is still valid.

The new President was sworn in in the Gambian embassy in Senegal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/w...ya-jammeh.html
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Assange being a lying liar:

In a Q&A on Periscope today, Julian Assange continued to squirm around questions over what exactly would be required for him to fulfill his promise to face charges in the United States should President Obama grant clemency to Chelsea Manning, as he did on Tuesday.
    http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14...e-requirements

I think awy suggested he should have been "drone'd" years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregorius Chant View Post
    Assange being a lying liar:

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/19/14...e-requirements

I think awy suggested he should have been "drone'd" years ago.

You'd have to hit the Ecuadorian embassy in London, which might not be taken too well.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    You'd have to hit the Ecuadorian embassy in London, which might not be taken too well.
    'MURICA FIRST. We do what we want, buddy.

not as far from yankee stadium as i once was

Not surprised about Assange. Not in the least.
    Bring tea for the Tillerman; Steak for the son; Wine for the woman
    who made the rain come; Seagulls sing your hearts away;
    'Cause while the sinners sin, the children play ...

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I didn't watch but just saw pictures. She looked beautiful. The choice of white was awesome. This should've been her day.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“DAMMIT BILL YOU SAID WE WERE GOING TO BRUNCH&quot; <a href="https://t.co/ueJSfDZaSV">pic.twitter.com/ueJSfDZaSV</a></p>&mdash; Pete Blackburn (@PeteBlackburn) <a href="https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/822464550398296069">January 20, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Embed fail.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    Embed fail.
    That's what he said.
    - Barry Manilow

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I didn't watch but just saw pictures. She looked beautiful. The choice of white was awesome. This should've been her day.

Embed fail.
    I don't get why we can embed tweets in Other Sports but not here.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    That's what he said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...alization.html

The Texas Supreme Court agreed Friday to hear a Houston case that top conservatives hope will provide an opening to challenge the landmark 2015 ruling legalizing gay marriage nationwide.

Reversing its previous ruling, the state's highest civil court set arguments for March in a lawsuit seeking to halt same-sex spousal benefits that America's fourth-largest city offers its municipal employees. The nine Republican justices had ruled in September not to hear the case in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling from the previous summer that gay marriage was constitutional nationwide.

gotta love how some just don't want other to be equal.

Good to the last drop CoyoteYankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ajra21 View Post
    gotta love how some just don't want other to be equal.
    I just honestly don't get it. It makes no sense to me. On most issues I can see both sides of an argument even if I don't agree with the other side but this one baffles me. Why are people so concerned with what others do as long as they aren't hurting anyone?
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteYankee View Post
    I just honestly don't get it. It makes no sense to me. On most issues I can see both sides of an argument even if I don't agree with the other side but this one baffles me. Why are people so concerned with what others do as long as they aren't hurting anyone?
    do you read a book that details laws set by a sky wizard?

do you read a book that details laws set by a sky wizard?
    lol no but I get the idea that being gay is against their religious beliefs but why do they care if other people are sinning (again as long as they are consulting adults and aren't hurting anyone)? They will still go to heaven.
    2016 - At least we won as many postseason games as the Red Sox

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

lol no but I get the idea that being gay is against their religious beliefs but why do they care if other people are sinning (again as long as they are consulting adults and aren't hurting anyone)? They will still go to heaven.
    why do they care?

are you looking for an answer other than because they're narrow-minded bigots who are all for freedom & equality as long as you chose their kind of freedom while they remain more equal than others?

cos if you are, join the queue. you might have to wait a while.

- - -

it's kinda odd to me cos i grew up with a lot of church goers who have no issue with gay people having the same rights are straight folk. don't get me wrong, we have our share share of narrow-minded bigots too but the level does seem to by lower.

this isn't a simple focus on religion. plenty of US religious folk want true equality. unfortunately, there are a solid chunk of homophobic religious people simply because they think their special story-book is some kind of nation rule-book. it's not. in fact, the law of the land says it's not.

the US's separation of church & state really backfired in many ways. many of the most secularly run nations are the ones with a actual official church and a constitutional monarchy (UK, sweden, norway, denamrk, netherlands and finland).

why do they care?

are you looking for an answer other than because they're narrow-minded bigots who are all for freedom & equality as long as you chose their kind of freedom while they remain more equal than others?

cos if you are, join the queue. you might have to wait a while.

- - -

it's kinda odd to me cos i grew up with a lot of church goers who have no issue with gay people having the same rights are straight folk. don't get me wrong, we have our share share of narrow-minded bigots too but the level does seem to by lower.

this isn't a simple focus on religion. plenty of US religious folk want true equality. unfortunately, there are a solid chunk of homophobic religious people simply because they think their special story-book is some kind of nation rule-book. it's not. in fact, the law of the land says it's not.

the US's separation of church & state really backfired in many ways. many of the most secularly run nations are the ones with a actual official church and a constitutional monarchy (UK, sweden, norway, denamrk, netherlands and finland).
    Yeah, I guess I wasn't so much looking for an answer as I was just saying that this is one of the few issues where I can't understand the argument. I do always try to see both sides of most issues but this is one where I just can't put myself in the other sides' shoes.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't so much looking for an answer as I was just saying that this is one of the few issues where I can't understand the argument. I do always try to see both sides of most issues but this is one where I just can't put myself in the other sides' shoes.
    not every topic has two valid sides. it's one of the mistakes that is made about a handful of topics.

it's good to look for the other side but after looking, if the other side is just the word IGNORANCE or BIGOTRY written in large letters, it's ok to move on.

not every topic has two valid sides. it's one of the mistakes that is made about a handful of topics.

it's good to look for the other side but after looking, if the other side is just the word IGNORANCE or BIGOTRY written in large letters, it's ok to move on.
    I concur.

NYYF Legend

This is why I get angry when otherwise well meaning people tell me not to worry about a Trump presidency. It'll only take one more appointment to overturn it...

Quote Originally Posted by RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees View Post
    This is why I get angry when otherwise well meaning people tell me not to worry about a Trump presidency. It'll only take one more appointment to overturn it...
    And me with healthcare. Easy for people with nothing or little to lose to say "everyone just accept it".
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Women's March in DC turnout looks YUGE on tv. I bet it beats the inaugural by a lot. March's around the world look extremely well attended also.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    The Women's March in DC turnout looks YUGE on tv. I bet it beats the inaugural by a lot. March's around the world look extremely well attended also.
    Agreed. I hope it does. If the number even comes close to matching yesterday it will say a lot but I think it will do more than that.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information