+ Reply to Thread
Page 342 of 342 FirstFirst ... 242 292 332 339 340 341 342
Results 8,526 to 8,529 of 8529
    NYYF Legend

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Seems like a lot of Californians care a little bit more after the tax reform.
    Quite possible in April 2019.

I personally will probably do just fine under the new tax plan since the mortgage interest on the house is now so low the double standard deduction will probably cover my lost SALT deduction.

I'm sure that a great many carrying big mortgages along with the lost SALT are going to find any crumbs they got from the tax bill won't cover the loaf they now need to send to Washington to fund Kentucky.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

I don't know what to think of this. I guess I just assumed that all rape kits were tested although I've never given that assumption even a second's thought.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f24334a81c9d

Across the country, decades’ worth of rape kits are finally being tested, but no one can agree on what to do next. A story of good intentions — and government blunders.
    The stories, I knew, went like this: A woman said she was sexually assaulted. She was told that, to prove it, she would need to go to a room where she would be examined from the hairs on her head to the skin beneath her toenails. She was swabbed, plucked, prodded and photographed. When it was over, every bit of what had been taken off her body was slid into small bags, placed in one of these boxes and taped shut. Most likely, the woman assumed that her kit, full of potential DNA evidence, would be sent to a laboratory to be tested.

In the case of these kits, they were not. Today, the Justice Department recommends that all rape kits associated with a reported crime be submitted for DNA analysis. But up until just last year, there were no national requirements or guidelines on what to do with them. Most states had no laws dictating which kits should be tested, meaning every police department could have its own rules about what evidence to test, keep or throw away. Some even let individual detectives make those calls. What happened to a woman’s rape kit could depend not only on what state she was in, but which side of a county line she was on, or even who was on duty when she asked for help.

The results of this haphazard system have been well documented. In New York City, an estimated 17,000 kits went untested. In Houston, there were 6,000. In Detroit, Los Angeles and Memphis, there were more than 11,000 each. Over the past two decades, the “rape kit backlog” has been in the news so many times that now, slowly, the problem is being fixed across the country. Under pressure from activists and legislators, states and cities big and small are counting their kits and sending them to be tested. And then, they are beginning to quietly struggle with a far more complicated challenge: What happens once the kits come back?
    Repeal the 2nd Amendment.

NYYF Cy Young

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I don't know what to think of this. I guess I just assumed that all rape kits were tested although I've never given that assumption even a second's thought.

Jesus that's awful. What happens if a rape kit comes back positive, but the statute of limitations to prosecute the crime has passed?

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post

This is disgusting, but I'm not all that surprised, honestly.

Thread Information