+ Reply to Thread
Page 288 of 288 FirstFirst ... 188 238 278 285 286 287 288
Results 7,176 to 7,188 of 7188

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by fredgmuggs View Post
    I heard some political pundit today say with a straight face (no pun intended) that a wedding cake was the center piece of a religious ceremony. You can't make this stuff up.
    What was the context? Was this about that guy who didn't want to make a gay-themed cake?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    What was the context? Was this about that guy who didn't want to make a gay-themed cake?
    I’m sure it was but does it even matter? Is cake the focus of any religious ceremony?

Yes it was. But trying to argue that a wedding cake is, and I quote, "the center piece of a religious ceremony" is one of the most outlandish things I've ever heard. It's just a freakin' cake that people overpay to have it their weddings to impress themselves and their guests.

The better argument is the artistic free speech thing. Even that seems a stretch but at least I can see some merit behind it.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

It wasn’t a gay-themed cake. It was a custom cake for a same-sex wedding.

Edit: My post was paraphrasing the lawyer for the baker, who told SCOTUS why the baker was protected when the chef, the makeup artist and everyone else weren't:

When we have someone that is sketching and sculpting and hand designing something, that is creating a temporary sculpture that serves as the centerpiece of what they believe to be a religious wedding celebration, that cake expresses a message.

Yes it was. But trying to argue that a wedding cake is, and I quote, "the center piece of a religious ceremony" is one of the most outlandish things I've ever heard. It's just a freakin' cake that people overpay to have it their weddings to impress themselves and their guests.

The better argument is the artistic free speech thing. Even that seems a stretch but at least I can see some merit behind it.
    By the time you get to the cake the religious aspect of the ceremony has usually been over for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    By the time you get to the cake the religious aspect of the ceremony has usually been over for hours.
    I'm a member of the religious order of Duncan Hines.
    Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. ~ Dale Carnegie

I'm a member of the religious order of Duncan Hines.
    or maybe Entenmann's. Or maybe anything that's cake related.

I draw the line at Hostess and Drake's.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I draw the line at Hostess and Drake's.
    Once upon a time, I submitted a song to Drake's for an advertising contest. I didn't win so they're on my isht list.

NYYF Legend

One drunken evening in college I wrote a very comical letter to Entenmann's about why their "pound" cake only weighed 12 ozs.

Got a funny reply from the company along with some coupons.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It wasn’t a gay-themed cake. It was a custom cake for a same-sex wedding.
    You're a gay-themed cake.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

https://gizmodo.com/fcc-commissioner...evi-1821133018

FCC Commissioner Blasts Her Own Agency for Withholding Evidence of Fraud
    “To put it simply, there is evidence in the FCC’s files that fraud has occurred, and the FCC is telling law enforcement and victims of identity theft that it is not going to help,” Rosenworcel said in a statement to Gizmodo. “Moreover, the FCC refuses to look into how nearly half a million comments came from Russian sources. Failure to investigate this corrupted record undermines our process for seeking public input in the digital age.”

Rosenworcel’s heated comments come in response to a clash between the Federal Communications Commission and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman over his office’s investigation into fraudulent comments submitted to the FCC regarding agency Chairman Ajit Pai’s plan to dismantle federal net neutrality rules.

On Thursday, Thomas Johnson, the FCC’s general counsel, sent a letter to Schneiderman. In it, he writes that the FCC has no intention of complying with requests for information that Schneiderman contends is critical to uncovering who sent the fake comments, which may have used the names and addresses of millions of American citizens without their consent.
    They're ignoring the overwhelming amount of comments against this move and are obstructing justice from the NY AG's office inquiry. They can do this because the Trump DoJ has no intention of doing it's job. They're going to demolish net neutrality against the wishes of 80% of citizens to placate Verizon, Comcast and ATT.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    https://gizmodo.com/fcc-commissioner...evi-1821133018

They're ignoring the overwhelming amount of comments against this move and are obstructing justice from the NY AG's office inquiry. They can do this because the Trump DoJ has no intention of doing it's job. They're going to demolish net neutrality against the wishes of 80% of citizens to placate Verizon, Comcast and ATT.
    Of the 20% that are against Net Neutrality, I’d put the true DAR (disciples of Ayn Rand) at about maybe 5%.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Thread Information