+ Reply to Thread
Page 716 of 716 FirstFirst ... 216 616 666 706 713 714 715 716
Results 17,876 to 17,893 of 17893
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    SCOTUS just upheld the transgender military ban. This does nothing to help the country. It serves only to hurt an already highly marginalized population.

This country is trash.
    They didnít exactly uphold it. They allowed it to be enforced while court cases continue.

Word of the Year is Complicit ojo's Avatar

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Did *anybody* give a crap about any social issue when you were 16 years old? Would you have been stoked to get on a bus and ride to Washington DC to take part in a protest against women and their right to choose? At 16? And now filter in the fact your parents are likely Trumpers. Hell, Dad probably bought you that MAGA hat.

And yes, if that was a UK or a Cincy Reds hat, the dialog perhaps would've been about how uneducated we are as a society towards Native Americans. But MAGA makes it about hate and derision.

At the end of the day - SCREW the media for walking anything back, because the real story wasnít about missing the boat on some woe-begotten teenagers. The real story was about the chaperones who let these kids demonstrate massive doses of insensitivity throughout that day.

Oof. I just found my sympathy for those little screwballs.
    This is not America...No! https://youtu.be/neLXqbR_r0E

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    Did *anybody* give a crap about any social issue when you were 16 years old? Would you have been stoked to get on a bus and ride to Washington DC to take part in a protest against women and their right to choose? At 16? And now filter in the fact your parents are likely Trumpers. Hell, Dad probably bought you that MAGA hat.

And yes, if that was a UK or a Cincy Reds hat, the dialog perhaps would've been about how uneducated we are as a society towards Native Americans. But MAGA makes it about hate and derision.

At the end of the day - SCREW the media for walking anything back, because the real story wasnít about missing the boat on some woe-begotten teenagers. The real story was about the chaperones who let these kids demonstrate massive doses of insensitivity throughout that day.

Well Samantha Guthrie is giving an interview to smug hatboy and Laura Ingraham is saying a WH invite is imminent. So he's going to come out of this a right wing hero. If he wasn't already on his way to becoming a Bret Kavanaugh, they're making it happen.

(I cared a lot about social issues when I was 16 so... )

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Well Samantha Guthrie is giving an interview to smug hatboy and Laura Ingraham is saying a WH invite is imminent. So he's going to come out of this a right wing hero. If he wasn't already on his way to becoming a Bret Kavanaugh, they're making it happen.

(I cared a lot about social issues when I was 16 so... )
    Yeah, so did I.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Yeah, so did I.

I may be completely wrong but I get the feeling that private and religious school kids are more likely to be politically involved?

Forum Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I may be completely wrong but I get the feeling that private and religious school kids are more likely to be politically involved?
    Kids today are pretty involved -- the gun march last year was huge by any measure.

I think its also worth noting that the kids went to DC with their school, and not on their own initiative.

I think generally we are in an age when these things are more "popular" than they've been in a while

Quote Originally Posted by YFIB View Post
    Kids today are pretty involved -- the gun march last year was huge by any measure.

I think its also worth noting that the kids went to DC with their school, and not on their own initiative.

I think generally we are in an age when these things are more "popular" than they've been in a while
    Yeah, this is fair. School shootings wake you up regardless of age.

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post

At the end of the day - SCREW the media for walking anything back, because the real story wasn’t about missing the boat on some woe-begotten teenagers. The real story was about the chaperones who let these kids demonstrate massive doses of insensitivity throughout that day.

I was marching at 14. I was 16 the first time I went to DC (all the way from NH) to protest a social issue. No stinking adult chaperones, either. My behavior was probably worse than anything in these videos, (it was bad enough to be arrested) but, at least in my mind, the cause was nobler. Honestly, I can't criticize the behavior, per se, of any of the groups. If you go to DC to protest, the objective is to make noise, grab attention, and diss those on the other side. Civil disobedience is something I did, repeatedly, and I won't condemn it in others just for being that.

I can only abhor the causes they represent, in two of three cases. I'm cool with the Native Americans. All this analyzing the videos for breaches of etiquette strikes me as silly, as someone who remembers first hand a White House ringed with buses 3 inches bumper-to-bumper and protester barricades built from furniture, tires and cars two blocks from 1600 Penn. Tear gas was all over the place, and it seemed like cops with sticks were at the end of every block. Protest is conflict, not a cotillion.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Protest is conflict, not a cotillion.
    Nothing to add here. I just needed to highlight that last sentence. It's a thing of beauty.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

I was marching at 14. I was 16 the first time I went to DC (all the way from NH) to protest a social issue. No stinking adult chaperones, either. My behavior was probably worse than anything in these videos, (it was bad enough to be arrested) but, at least in my mind, the cause was nobler. Honestly, I can't criticize the behavior, per se, of any of the groups. If you go to DC to protest, the objective is to make noise, grab attention, and diss those on the other side. Civil disobedience is something I did, repeatedly, and I won't condemn it in others just for being that.

I can only abhor the causes they represent, in two of three cases. I'm cool with the Native Americans. All this analyzing the videos for breaches of etiquette strikes me as silly, as someone who remembers first hand a White House ringed with buses 3 inches bumper-to-bumper and protester barricades built from furniture, tires and cars two blocks from 1600 Penn. Tear gas was all over the place, and it seemed like cops with sticks were at the end of every block. Protest is conflict, not a cotillion.
    I get that but their purpose for going was the Right to Control Women's Bodies March. Respecting that right is not the same thing as respecting their right to act like little teenage turds which was all they were really doing with this incident. It wasn't protest. It wasn't civil disobedience. They weren't drawing attention to their cause. They were just boys behaving badly.

Yeah. I came of age in the Reagan years. I didn't really wake up until I saw that young man stare down a column of tanks. Mea culpa.

It's a rite of passage for the kids of Covington Catholic though. Indoctrination into the powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    As the conversation is really just devolving into jabs at my take on what I saw from the time I spent watching the video evidence, I'll bow out of the discussion.
    Who was taking jabs at you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=uV0HvQhEUQM

way better than that nonsensical piece posted earlier
    Everything should be joked about

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post

Hope is eternal

Quote Originally Posted by fightingirish595 View Post

Lol sounds like right from the trump brainwashing academy
    Thankful to be a fan of a big market team

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePride1967 View Post
    Lol sounds like right from the trump brainwashing academy
    Hes not a trump supporter though
    Everything should be joked about

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    They didnít exactly uphold it. They allowed it to be enforced while court cases continue.
    Yes, thanks. It still blows, though.
    I am not free while any woman is unfree, even when her shackles are very different from my own.

--Audre Lorde

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Maynerd View Post
    Nothing to add here. I just needed to highlight that last sentence. It's a thing of beauty.
    Thanks. I enjoyed writing that one.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Thread Information