+ Reply to Thread
Page 163 of 163 FirstFirst ... 63 113 153 160 161 162 163
Results 4,051 to 4,063 of 4063

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    That's kind of a loaded statement.

It might just be that it doesn't mean the same thing to them that it does to you.
    Right, but given the timing and history of the construction of many of these monuments, I think one interpretation (that they're symbols of oppression or hate) is more valid than others. Does it need to literally be the "Slavery Was Good Monument" before we can make fair judgments that it's a symbol to those things, or can we draw reasonable inferences?

Another thing that concerns me is that for me and you, it's a lot easier for us to say "have patience, do it the right way" when we don't have to walk past a monument glorifying the enslavement of our ancestors every day. Much like there were white people during the height of the Civil Rights Movement who no doubt had the view that segregation was wrong, but that all this lawbreaking to try to get it changed wasn't the right way and that they should do it through the political process, that's a lot easier for a white guy to say than for someone who's being directly impacted by it, either emotionally or (in the latter case) in countless other additional ways.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

I don't disagree with any of that, and I think that information should be at the forefront.

They've gotta go. Differ on best approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Soriambi View Post
    Another thing that concerns me is that for me and you, it's a lot easier for us to say "have patience, do it the right way" when we don't have to walk past a monument glorifying the enslavement of our ancestors every day. Much like there were white people during the height of the Civil Rights Movement who no doubt had the view that segregation was wrong, but that all this lawbreaking to try to get it changed wasn't the right way and that they should do it through the political process, that's a lot easier for a white guy to say than for someone who's being directly impacted by it, either emotionally or (in the latter case) in countless other additional ways.
    I think it's one thing to say "have patience" and then hope nothing changes. It's possible to want and advocate change now but realistically expect it to take a while. Big picture, I think more lasting change is accomplished when done through channels seen as legitimate AND coupled with changing enough peoples' views to make it acceptable.

They could start by repealing that law.

Then they let the people who live there decide.
    It's fine to let the people who live there decide, as long as the people who live there decide to do the right thing.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Quote Originally Posted by jlw1980 View Post
    I'm with you, friend.

I wish I could go to bed at 6. That sounds lovely.
    You can. Just park your kids in front of the TV with unlimited access to chocolate ice cream. They'll still be there in the morning.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

Meanwhile, in the middle of the night, Baltimore took down statues of Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Roger Taney. The earth continues to turn, and history does not seem to have suffered some gross violation.

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    It's fine to let the people who live there decide, as long as the people who live there decide to do the right thing.
    Who gets to decide what the right thing is?

Meanwhile, in the middle of the night, Baltimore took down statues of Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Roger Taney. The earth continues to turn, and history does not seem to have suffered some gross violation.
    Colbert last night:
    Yes, down a statue is totally changing history. Because the main way anybody learns about history is through statue-based study. Thatís how we know that Abraham Lincoln was 20 feet tall and loved sitting down.

Who gets to decide what the right thing is?
    Everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Colbert last night:
    Are you telling me my currency-based education is useless?

Quote Originally Posted by jcarey View Post
    Are you telling me my currency-based education is useless?
    No, don't be ridiculous. Alexander Hamilton was green. You're good.
    -Kevin

"My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan

"I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

RIP, Pete.

Yashar Ali‏Verified account @yashar

Daily Stormer, the Neo-Nazi website that was kicked off GoDaddy and Google, has found a new home in Russia: dailystormer.ru

You can. Just park your kids in front of the TV with unlimited access to chocolate ice cream. They'll still be there in the morning.
    I mean, that might work if you don't mind ice cream all over the furniture or the possibility of a toddler going out and wandering in the street. I like to think I'm a better parent than that.

Thread Information