+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8 48 55 56 57 58
Results 1,426 to 1,441 of 1441

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    the center sseems to hold in france.
    French centrist candidate Emmanuel Macron and far-right leader Marine Le Pen are advancing to the presidential runoff, after major opponents conceded defeat.

For the first time in modern French history, no mainstream party candidate is advancing, upending the country’s political system.
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/2017/04/2...unL/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I think he'd agree it was irrelevant to that story.
    As posted earlier, you can take out many descriptive terms in that anecdote. Not sure what the point of that is.

There wasn't some stereotype here, particularly a negative one, that seems "jarring". Why did it jar you?

If Le Pen wins....Damb!

I should start shorting the EURO.
    Calmer than you are

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    This is probably true of the majority race in a particular country, whether it be white, black or whatever.
    You could probably take it down to geographies much smaller than countries and have it hold true.

'You should think about it.' Is that the strong argument you're talking about?

Because I haven't seen any argument for what is wrong with including race when describing someone.

Touché.
    The strong argument is the one I've been making for the last year, or the last five years, or whatever.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

The strong argument is the one I've been making for the last year, or the last five years, or whatever.
    Maybe I haven't be following your character arc closely enough, but am I supposed to know what 'strong argument' you're referring to?

I'm also curious how this apparently universal argument applies to what we're talking about.

You may want to use spoiler tags for those who aren't up to date.

Maybe I haven't be following your character arc closely enough, but am I supposed to know what 'strong argument' you're referring to?

I'm also curious how this apparently universal argument applies to what we're talking about.

You may want to use spoiler tags for those who aren't up to date.
    Sooooo MC. How did the rims turn out?
    Loving some nothing burgers!!!

Jesus, John.

This discussion is going so poorly for you that BRenn is trying to help out.

Jesus, John.

This discussion is going so poorly for you that BRenn is trying to help out.
    I'm doing fine. Just because you haven't paid any attention to anything I've ever said doesn't mean anything is going poorly for me.

By the way, if you want the specific rather than the general, you're right. "You should think about it" is a reasonable summary of what I've been saying here. The fact that you think that's somehow a trivial suggestion when talking about racism is unfortunate.
    A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines.
    - Barry Manilow

I'm doing fine. Just because you haven't paid any attention to anything I've ever said doesn't mean anything is going poorly for me.
    So everyone should know your posting history and where you stand on everything. If they don't, that means they haven't paid attention to anything you've ever said. That's pretty weak logic.

By the way, if you want the specific rather than the general, you're right. "You should think about it" is a reasonable summary of what I've been saying here. The fact that you think that's somehow a trivial suggestion when talking about racism is unfortunate.
    I'm glad you decided that that's what I think. And I believe this is the first mention of racism as well. Awesome.

All this boils down to is 'I jumped in on the 'omg a white guy mentioned race' witch hunt, but quickly realized there was nothing there, so in order to not admit I was wrong I'll throw in some BS about how he should think about it (implying he hasn't). After all, who can argue with thinking about something?"

What a bunch of condescending nonsense.

So everyone should know your posting history and where you stand on everything. If they don't, that means they haven't paid attention to anything you've ever said. That's pretty weak logic.

Yes, because we've never had this specific conversation before, about you not paying attention to anything I've written on this particular subject. Or maybe you just weren't paying attention.

All this boils down to is 'I jumped in on the 'omg a white guy mentioned race' witch hunt, but quickly realized there was nothing there, so in order to not admit I was wrong I'll throw in some BS about how he should think about it (implying he hasn't). After all, who can argue with thinking about something?"

What a bunch of condescending nonsense.

Jumped on the bandwagon? I was the first to post a comment about it.

"Racism" referring to ingrained, implicit, even structural issues. See how tricky it gets when you use it to refer to everything? Though I suppose you could just use context.
    - Barry Manilow

Yes, because we've never had this specific conversation before, about you not paying attention to anything I've written on this particular subject. Or maybe you just weren't paying attention.
    You keep saying this as if it means something. No. I don't remember us having a conversation where racism was insinuated due to my (or someone else) including race when describing someone. If you have a link to said conversation, I promise you I'll read it again.

That said, me not remembering or knowing your position on a topic does not make what you're saying any more valid, nor does it negate what I'm saying. It's just weak misdirection.

"Racism" referring to ingrained, implicit, even structural issues. See how tricky it gets when you use it to refer to everything? Though I suppose you could just use context.
    In what way was what I said racist?

Or forget racist. In what way was what I said wrong in any way?

Oh right-- it wasn't. I should just think about it some more because you decided I should

You keep saying this as if it means something. No. I don't remember us having a conversation where racism was insinuated due to my (or someone else) including race when describing someone. If you have a link to said conversation, I promise you I'll read it again.

That said, me not remembering or knowing your position on a topic does not make what you're saying any more valid, nor does it negate what I'm saying. It's just weak misdirection.

In what way was what I said racist?

Or forget racist. In what way was what I said wrong in any way?

Oh right-- it wasn't. I should just think about it some more because you decided I should

Pretty much. I think it's what's called an opinion.
    - Barry Manilow

Pretty much. I think it's what's called an opinion.
    I'm glad we're in agreement.

I had faith that you'd get there eventually.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.8c2d4568f3ca

Two-thirds of Americans think that the Democratic Party is out of touch with the country
    In fact, the Democratic Party is viewed as more out of touch than either Trump or the party’s political opponents. Two-thirds of Americans think the Democrats are out of touch — including nearly half of Democrats themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by False1 View Post
    Wait - so you pulled this from some other thread (you actually visit other threads?) and dragged it in here to (shocker!) accuse someone of an -ism? You really need a hobby.
    I didn't drag anything, simply copied and pasted. The conversation that was going to result, and the reason I was interested (as I stated when posting) was relevant to this thread and not the one the exchange took place in.

You guys act like you're seeing fire for the first time whenever someone simply does anything with a computer. "OMG how do you have the time to write out a whole sentence to someone on the internet!!??"

His paragraph "focused" on being Asian was really two sentences totalling 11 words. There were 37 other words in that paragraph that weren't focused on him being Asian.
    You're underlining why it's bizarre to mention the kid is Asian.

And of course, you intentionally leave out John's comment that obviously drove the "stunning finale" that you falsely unveiled.
    John's comment was actually mocking Coffee for the same reason I wanted to point out what I perceived was wrong with the commentary. Coffee didn't even catch that and in all earnestness actually stated he felt the kid's behavior had "more" to do with youth than being Asian. Again - this isn't really helping whatever case you're trying to make here.

I know it's lonely on Everyone'sAnIsm Island, but trying this desperately to bring others to join you is creepy.
    Judging by the responses here, I'd suggest the island is pretty well populated.

But yes. Everyone is an "ism" unfortunately. That's never been in doubt. The problem is you guys think being called racist automatically means you're being accused of being in league with white supremacists. It's just a dodge.

My heart goes out to JL on this one.

Thread Information