+ Reply to Thread
Page 929 of 929 FirstFirst ... 429 829 879 919 926 927 928 929
Results 23,201 to 23,219 of 23219
    NYYF Legend

Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ojo View Post
    This is something the next administration can quickly undo.
    No it is not. Unless Thomas is replaced with a liberal justice and Ginsberg is also replaced with another liberal justice.
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

NYYF Legend

It’s one of the reasons replacing Kennedy a right leaning justice with a partisan hack like Bart O’Kavanugh was such a travesty.
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Of all the horrible thing Trump has done, saddling the court with that loser is probably the worst by a factor of 10,000
    Baseball is life;

NYYF Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Tripper View Post
    No it is not. Unless Thomas is replaced with a liberal justice and Ginsberg is also replaced with another liberal justice.
    NS, SL. I was mocking the old man who attempted (repeatedly) to minimize Trump’s lasting impact.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by theDurk View Post
    Well, in this time of perpetual gloom, here are two wins for the cause of personal freedom:

https://www.aclu.org/press-releases/...es-and-laptops

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...gCCV62K1k1XpSI

Now, John can tell me the SCOTUS will reverse on #1 and the pilot in #2 was proven to be a child molester in his past and worked for Jeffrey Epstein.
    Second one sounds like a good decision. Former child molesters are entitled to constitutional protections, too.

SCOTUS will reverse on #1. It seems that they’re going to find that the administration can revoke DACA with no more justification than "because we want to." They recognize that everyone thinks DACA is good, that the people who applied did so in good faith, and that no legitimate policy reasons were officially given as part of the revocation, but, well, y'know.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post

SCOTUS will reverse on #1. It seems that they’re going to find that the administration can revoke DACA with no more justification than "because we want to." They recognize that everyone thinks DACA is good, that the people who applied did so in good faith, and that no legitimate policy reasons were officially given as part of the revocation, but, well, y'know.
    It's tough because, if I understand it right, the logic is "well Obama created with EO so Trump can undo it with EO. Everyone thinks it's good so make a law." If that's the case I can't argue with it. It's just the no case made it to SCOTUS when Obama was President, but this one did. Right?

I bet if Trump loses Thomas will retire the day after the election and of course McConnell will let Trump pick his replacement. Because that's how craven they are. I love RBG but I wish she retired in 2014 like Obama wanted her to.

NYYF Legend

NS, SL. I was mocking the old man who attempted (repeatedly) to minimize Trump’s lasting impact.
    If you're talking about me, I specifically excluded the judiciary from my assertion. Further, I take exception to being referred to simply by my age and sex. That's hardly the style of an enlightened progressive. It is, however, your habit to rebut arguments that no one has made and claim victory.
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

NYYF Legend

If you're talking about me, I specifically excluded the judiciary from my assertion. Further, I take exception to being referred to simply by my age and sex. That's hardly the style of an enlightened progressive. It is, however, your habit to rebut arguments that no one has made and claim victory.
    Victory? There are no victories until the patient’s ribs are put back together, you know, when Trump actually leaves office.

For the record, you stepped in it when you qualified Trump’s judicial appointments with the bodycount racked up by BusCheney’s war machine. Both presidential terms are/were abhorrent.

Well put. Bush/Cheney were more competent and more reasonable on some subjects where Trump is off the rails (and W wasn't too bright). Still, Bush's needless war in pursuit of non-existent WMDs was unforgivable (and caused my exit from the Republican party; I was completely against.) Given the deaths of Americans, allies and innocents involved, and despite Trump's widespread damage, lives beat judges. All the rest we can fix.
    I suppose you’d need to have a problem with stacked courts though to see a problem with leveraging one issue against the other.
    "Be a voice, not an echo." - Albert Einstein

NYYF Legend

Victory? There are no victories until the patient’s ribs are put back together, you know, when Trump actually leaves office.

For the record, you stepped in it when you qualified Trump’s judicial appointments with the bodycount racked up by BusCheney’s war machine. Both presidential terms are/were abhorrent.

I suppose you’d need to have a problem with stacked courts though to see a problem with leveraging one issue against the other.
    How did I step in it? I do think both were/are abhorrent. That should be clear. I still think what Bush did was worse because I value human lives. Again, you restate someone's argument, and then refute it. Thanks for proving my point.

I have no idea where you are going with the last sentence. Who stacked a court (do you even know that means?) and who does not have a problem with it? How does one leverage one issue against another? What does that even mean?
    "Deep to left! Yastrzemski will not get it! It's a home run! A three-run homer by Bucky Dent! And the Yankees now lead by a score of 3-2!" - New York Yankees announcer Bill White (October 2, 1978)

Second one sounds like a good decision. Former child molesters are entitled to constitutional protections, too.

Most of the applicants are brown, so they're fine with reversing something good and hurting people.

NYYF Legend

Not that I agree in any way with revoking DACA (Ojo prevent) but the DACA argument on regulatory authority is very different from a constitutional unreasonable search issue. I take exception only in that I don't see the one as in any way presaging the other. The second would be a far worse finding, in my view (again, not that I like either one. BOTH BAD!!!!!!!!Ok, Ojo?)

https://augustafreepress.com/house-j...ra-time-limit/
    The House Judiciary Committee has approved a resolution that would eliminate the time limit for the ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA).

After last week’s statewide elections in Virginia, state legislators have pledged to bring the ERA to the Virginia Assembly for passage in early 2020, making it the 38th and final state necessary for ratification.
    96 years and counting.

Let's go Rangers! RhodyYanksFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post

96 years and counting.
    It took 203 years to get the 27th Amendment through.

This could create an interesting can of worms. The Supreme Court never published a decision about the legality of an extension to the time limit because...well....because it didn't have to, as the requisite number of states had not ratified it. When Virginia acts, we'll be at 38 states. That's three quarters. That's all that's required.

But, Supreme Court decision #1 will need to speak to whether the Congress can extend the required ratification date, and Supreme Court decision #2 will need to address the validity of the four states that have rescinded their ratification.

So, even as Virginia tips the balance, I suspect the Amendment will need to slog through the Courts before everything is finalized.

Really hard to believe there's any opposition. I have questioned whether the Amendment actually accomplishes anything that isn't already codified, but even if that's the case, the Amendment does no harm to the Constitution or to the Republic. If it eliminates any doubt as to the rights of certain individuals, ratify the thing. I've long bemoaned the scarcity of Amendments. I firmly believe the Founding Fathers would be aghast that we have tweaked the document so few times. This particular amendment, whether needed or not, seems a no-brainer for passage. Long overdue.

"But what people tend to forget...is that being a Yankee is as much about character as it is about performance; as much about who you are as what you do."
    - President Barack Obama

This is so long overdue.

Kyle Griffin@kylegriffin1
    FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) -- Republican Gov. Matt Bevin says he won't contest results showing Democratic opponent winning Kentucky governor's race.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

NYYF Legend

Guess he decided he didn't want to pay for it.
    Baseball is life;

Guess he decided he didn't want to pay for it.
    He wasn't going to win and the legislature clearly indicated they were not going to cheat him in. Unfortunately their congress has a republican super majority so Beshear is going to have a hard time governing.
    Take car. Go to Mum's. Kill Phil - "Sorry." - grab Liz, go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint, and wait for all of this to blow over. How's that for a slice of fried gold?

NYYF Legend

He wasn't going to win and the legislature clearly indicated they were not going to cheat him in. Unfortunately their congress has a republican super majority so Beshear is going to have a hard time governing.
    I'm sure Beshear's power will be rather limited. Still I'm sure there are some thing he can get done. I would imagine not insulting teachers and more likely medicaid expansions are two areas where he'll greatly exceed the prior dude.

I think the prior Gov was a tea partier who rejected medicaid expansion despite it being rather popular with people of Ky.
    Baseball is life;

Thread Information