+ Reply to Thread
Page 213 of 215 FirstFirst ... 113 163 203 210 211 212 213 214 215 LastLast
Results 5,301 to 5,325 of 5371
  1. #5301

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RhodyYanksFan View Post
    Scott Pruitt is a disgusting, useless, asshole.

    http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...ar-tax-credits


    Of course he failed to mention the $10-$18 billion in annual federal subsidies that the oil & gas industry gets.
    He is probably a staunch supporter of the oil depletion allowance.

  2. #5302
    Todd Frazier in 2018 ArodEra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Bourdain blasts Hillary re Weinstein. I guess we can add "phony" to the already "crooked" label.

    “And I have to say, Hillary’s interview with Fareed Zakaria was shameful in its deflection and its disingenuousness,” the celebrity chef said.

    “Know what Hillary Clinton is NOT? She’s not stupid. Or unsophisticated about the world. The Weinstein stories had been out there for years.”

    He also added that she gave a “terrible response to questions about a ‘friend’ who’s been tormenting women for decades” – and said her interview was a “real disappointment” and “uninspiring.”
    https://pagesix.com/2017/10/12/antho...tein-comments/



  3. #5303
    NYYF Legend

    Yankee Tripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Left coast

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    If Bourdain has known about this for years why he is coming out now?

    I had no idea but then I don't really follow Hollywood gossip that closely and certainly don't hob nob with that circle. Though I'm not surprised and wouldn't be surprised if there are others like him.

    Maybe Hillary knew, maybe she didn't but either way what is she supposed to say? "Sure I knew he was a D-bag but I didn't care as long as his checks cleared."
    Baseball is life;
    the rest is just details.

  4. #5304

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    https://www.salon.com/2017/10/12/lou...ricas-prisons/

    In an Oct. 5 press conference, the sheriff of Caddo Parrish in Louisiana expressed his disdain for the state's new criminal justice reforms that will begin next month.
    Steve Prator criticized the new measures and said it would result in the release of "good" inmates who are used on a daily basis for prison labor.
    Louisiana has the highest incarceration rate in the nation and "on the global scale, Louisiana’s incarceration rate is more than five times higher than most of the countries in the world," local ABC News affiliate KTBS noted.
    The new measures would reduce the state's prison population over the next decade by 10 percent and save the state $265 million, by lowering the threshold for nonviolent offenders who are eligible for parole, The Advocate reported.
    "The [prisoners] that you can work, the ones that can pick up trash, the work release programs — but guess what? Those are the ones that they’re releasing!" Prato exclaimed in the press conference. "In addition to the bad ones… they’re releasing some good ones that we use every day to wash cars, to change the oil in our cars, to cook in the kitchen… well, they’re going to let them out!"

  5. #5305
    NYYF Cy Young

    Tyler Durden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The CT/MA Border, aka Pink Sox Territory

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Well there's a guy whose never seen Shawshank Redemption.

  6. #5306
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Good lord. It's like an Onion article.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  7. #5307

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    This is disgusting. It's basically indentured servitude.

  8. #5308

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Excerpt from Hillary Clinton's 1996 book "It Takes a Village":


  9. #5309

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Excerpt from Hillary Clinton's 1996 book "It Takes a Village":
    That was horrible the first time I read it and it still is. Or is your point that what the Louisiana sheriff said is somehow okay because of something Hillary said?

  10. #5310

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    That was horrible the first time I read it and it still is. Or is your point that what the Louisiana sheriff said is somehow okay because of something Hillary said?

  11. #5311

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Taking a knee for Hillary? Unexpected!

  12. #5312

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    That was horrible the first time I read it and it still is. Or is your point that what the Louisiana sheriff said is somehow okay because of something Hillary said?
    Would you agree that those comments should make the sheriff unelectable?

  13. #5313

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Taking a knee for Hillary? Unexpected!
    Yes, because Hillary is the victim in all this.

  14. #5314

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    Would you agree that those comments should make the sheriff unelectable?
    I don't think that unelectable is a real thing. Trump proved that to me. There are over half a dozen states that have prisoners working in their state houses. It's gross. But it's not just about those that are washing cars and cooking in their kitchens. All federal prisoners are required to work if they are healthy enough. The average wage for prison labor is $0.93 per hour. That is slavery. But a loophole in the 13th amendment makes it legal.

    Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
    Both Hillary's and the sheriff's comments were ignorant and demeaning and prison slavery is deplorable. While I strongly feel that it needs to change, the sheriff's objection to early release of "the good ones" because of how it would affect him and his cronies is particularly heinous.

    Obviously you want to talk about Hillary. I'll pass.

  15. #5315
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I don't think that unelectable is a real thing. Trump proved that to me. There are over half a dozen states that have prisoners working in their state houses. It's gross. But it's not just about those that are washing cars and cooking in their kitchens. All federal prisoners are required to work if they are healthy enough. The average wage for prison labor is $0.93 per hour. That is slavery. But a loophole in the 13th amendment makes it legal.



    Both Hillary's and the sheriff's comments were ignorant and demeaning and prison slavery is deplorable. While I strongly feel that it needs to change, the sheriff's objection to early release of "the good ones" because of how it would affect him and his cronies is particularly heinous.

    Obviously you want to talk about Hillary. I'll pass.
    Also, the sheriff's comments are about people over whom he and his office have direct jurisdiction, starting with their arrest.

    They’re just not The Exact Same Thing.

    I do wonder, Mike - do you have a "But Hillary" app or something?

  16. #5316

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Louisiana guy is suggesting that non-violent inmates should not be released even if they have been approved by the courts or legislature.

    Hillary's story is.....I don't know even know what point she's trying to make, but nothing analogous to the sheriff's.
    Leotardo. That's my f***in' legacy... No more, Butchie. No more of this.

  17. #5317

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    I don't think that unelectable is a real thing.
    I asked you if you thought it should make him unelectable. Nice dodge.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Trump proved that to me. There are over half a dozen states that have prisoners working in their state houses. It's gross. But it's not just about those that are washing cars and cooking in their kitchens. All federal prisoners are required to work if they are healthy enough. The average wage for prison labor is $0.93 per hour. That is slavery. But a loophole in the 13th amendment makes it legal.

    Both Hillary's and the sheriff's comments were ignorant and demeaning and prison slavery is deplorable. While I strongly feel that it needs to change, the sheriff's objection to early release of "the good ones" because of how it would affect him and his cronies is particularly heinous.
    It's the same attitude.

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    Obviously you want to talk about Hillary. I'll pass.
    You just did.

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    Also, the sheriff's comments are about people over whom he and his office have direct jurisdiction, starting with their arrest.

    They’re just not The Exact Same Thing.

    I do wonder, Mike - do you have a "But Hillary" app or something?
    Do you wonder that? No, I don't. Do you have an app that alerts you when Hillary needs defending?

    The 'exact same thing' nonsense you keep bringing up is not a defense. Things don't have to be exactly the same in order for them both to be wrong. The attitudes are very similar. You honestly don't see that?

    As governor, Bill Clinton had jurisdiction over those prisoners and the sheriff and the prisons and the practice itself-- more so than the sheriff, and Hillary directly benefited from their labor-- also probably more so than the sheriff.

  18. #5318

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    In the next paragraph, Hillary begins to realize that black people are human beings:


  19. #5319

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I asked you if you thought it should make him unelectable. Nice dodge.
    It's not a dodge simple because it's not answered the way you wanted. But nice try.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    It's the same attitude.
    I disagree and I try to not have such small-minded opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You just did.
    Good point. You sucked me into your nonsense. I'll do better.

  20. #5320
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    I asked you if you thought it should make him unelectable. Nice dodge.



    It's the same attitude.



    You just did.



    Do you wonder that? No, I don't. Do you have an app that alerts you when Hillary needs defending?

    The 'exact same thing' nonsense you keep bringing up is not a defense. Things don't have to be exactly the same in order for them both to be wrong. The attitudes are very similar. You honestly don't see that?

    As governor, Bill Clinton had jurisdiction over those prisoners and the sheriff and the prisons and the practice itself-- more so than the sheriff, and Hillary directly benefited from their labor-- also probably more so than the sheriff.
    OK, they’re both wrong. But that doesn’t mean the one is at all relevant to the other.

    I’m not defending Hillary, I’m just not engaging in the argument you want.

  21. #5321

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Texsahara View Post
    It's not a dodge simple because it's not answered the way you wanted. But nice try.
    You didn't answer the question at all. I'll rephrase:

    Do you think what the sheriff said should keep him from being reelected?

  22. #5322

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    OK, they’re both wrong. But that doesn’t mean the one is at all relevant to the other.
    The practice of using prisoners as slave labor is the issue.

    Hillary has done that in the past.

    Relevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by JL25and3 View Post
    I’m not defending Hillary, I’m just not engaging in the argument you want.
    Your entire argument was 'it's not the same thing' because the sheriff has direct control over the prisoners. So did Bill. And Hillary was complicit.

    Again, relevant.

    And it's not about what argument I want to have. Don't make it about me.

  23. #5323

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    You didn't answer the question at all. I'll rephrase:

    Do you think what the sheriff said should keep him from being reelected?
    No. The people of Caddo Parrish in Louisiana get to decide who they want to have representing them.

  24. #5324
    Not fooling anyone. Soriambi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    New Jersey

    Re: Non-Presidential News Stories That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by philleotardo View Post
    Louisiana guy is suggesting that non-violent inmates should not be released even if they have been approved by the courts or legislature.

    Hillary's story is.....I don't know even know what point she's trying to make, but nothing analogous to the sheriff's.
    Agreed. I do not see the comparison at all.
    -Kevin

    "My point is you can't compare things with statistics." Joe Morgan


    "I'd have won that trial. I've often said that." Stephen A. Smith on the OJ Simpson trial

    RIP, Pete.

  25. #5325
    Tends to be difficult JL25and3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Coffee View Post
    The practice of using prisoners as slave labor is the issue.

    Hillary has done that in the past.

    Relevant.



    Your entire argument was 'it's not the same thing' because the sheriff has direct control over the prisoners. So did Bill. And Hillary was complicit.

    Again, relevant.

    And it's not about what argument I want to have. Don't make it about me.
    It’s only relevant because you think it is, so to that extent, it’s about you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 3 guests)

  1. Yankee Tripper

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts